• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trey Lance

NAS

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I never understood the Jones hype. All I saw from him at Alabama was standing behind an elite OL with all the time in the world and floating dying ducks to wide open likely future All-Pro WRs. I just didn't see NFL QB traits.

If he has a good line and is as smart as they say, he could become a Brees-lite with the right OC.

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

If he has a good line and is as smart as they say, he could become a Brees-lite with the right OC.

I don't see it. Everyone acts like Brees lacked elite talent but the only measurable he lacked was height. He had everything else. He didn't have a Favre arm but his arm was good and he was a plus athlete. Jones doesn't have anywhere close to Brees' arm or legs. I could be wildly wrong, but I think a Kirk Cousins or Jared Goff is likely Jones' ceiling.

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Closest I’ve seen to brees is burrow, and Cincinnati is going end up maiming him.

Trey Lance flashed some really good throws. But also did a lot of bad, sacked 4 times in a quarter and 2 dropped ints. 

definitely a work in progress

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't see it. Everyone acts like Brees lacked elite talent but the only measurable he lacked was height. He had everything else. He didn't have a Favre arm but his arm was good and he was a plus athlete. Jones doesn't have anywhere close to Brees' arm or legs. I could be wildly wrong, but I think a Kirk Cousins or Jared Goff is likely Jones' ceiling.

Legs are awful for Jones, I agree. They are like Manning/Brady bad. I think Mac’s arm is better than people are giving him credit for. I would say it’s adequate enough to play in the league. Better than Teddy’s (not saying much). To me Brees had to always air it out to get it down field, he just practiced so hard he had the timing near perfect. I could see Jones doing this (especially if he keeps learning under McDaniels).

1 minute ago, Jorgie said:

Closest I’ve seen to brees is burrow, and Cincinnati is going end up maiming him.

Trey Lance flashed some really good throws. But also did a lot of bad, sacked 4 times in a quarter and 2 dropped ints. 

Agreed, Lance is very raw. Maybe I’m stuck with the image of older Brees in my head, but Burrow looks bigger/faster to me…

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Jorgie said:

I hate what happened to Burrow. I hope he can bounce back from it.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I've been saying it for awhile now - I have serious concerns about Rhule and company's ability to evaluate the QB position.

Me as well.  This isn’t plug and play in the NCAA  

Go find a game manager to execute some variety of Sean Payton’s offense…as if copying someone else’s system is that easy   That’s the nfl from 20 years ago 

what happens when Brady bails as he will….I just don’t see what they are doing   

Rhule, and Brady, are  very green NFL coaches and it showed mightily last year.    

He has no excuses this year   The players he wanted. The GM he wanted   Second year. Full OTAs, training camp, etc.   What appears to be an easy schedule.  He best come out of this year at 8 wins and a few of those against quality teams 

13 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Legs are awful for Jones, I agree. They are like Manning/Brady bad. I think Mac’s arm is better than people are giving him credit for. I would say it’s adequate enough to play in the league. Better than Teddy’s (not saying much). To me Brees had to always air it out to get it down field, he just practiced so hard he had the timing near perfect. I could see Jones doing this (especially if he keeps learning under McDaniels).

Not a fan of Dad Bod Mac at all, but I give credit where credit is due...  he did have all-world talent at Alabama, but he, as they say, is a "quick processor," just like I've heard about Lance.  Him setting the college football completion pct record is nothing to sneeze at...  but, he is very much a system QB.  That being said, it does appear NE is trying to tailor a specific gameplan around Mac, and he looked really good overall in game one...  better than I expected.  And he threw a couple passes that would affirm your statement of his arm being better than Teddy's.  They all still had quite a bit of air under them, but he showed great anticipation and placement, so it worked.

That being said, I still wouldn't have taken him with a first round pick.  Nowhere near.  For him to work, you have to have everything around him perfect.  It's why I have felt uncomfortable with both Teddy and Sam versus a Cam, or if we're talking rookies, Lance or Fields.  I want a guy who can carry my team even if the moving parts around them aren't working well.  If you have that one dynamic piece at QB, it's a lot easier to build around it than it is to find 10+ other pieces strong enough to carry a QB.  JMO...

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

Good points, Scot, but I don't trust their word on that.  Rhule has shown on multiple occasions to say things that weren't exactly true...  It's possible they didn't commit because they were waiting to see how the draft shook out first and then the reason they gave for fishing for offers after the fact wouldn't have undercut Sam's confidence early.  They were still able to sell it as "he's our guy."  But, I acknowledge it also could be exactly what they said...

As far as Lance, I just hate when I hear that stuff as an excuse.  If you have a talent you believe in, you cater and tailor your system around them.  It happens all the time.  But, it is clear thus far, that Rhule (and/or Brady) prefers QBs who manage the game and wants rely more on the entirety of his team and "program" over guys with ability to take over an entire game on their own.  I say this as well because from pre-draft reports, they said Lance was incredible on the whiteboard, demonstrated fast processing, and killed it in pre-draft interviews...  which pretty much translates well to any system.  Not saying he was in our reach bc he went #3, but as you said, we didn't even show interest.

Again, I just hope they're right about Darnold, but nothing I've seen or heard so far has changed my mind much about him.  He has some really nice throws and moments, but he also has some really bad ones, and our OL is in shambles.  But again, I hope I am wrong.

This is hall stuff let's come out since the draft, some of which actually came out during, so there is really no point in smokescreening anything.

I get that it's hard for some folks to believe they feel like they do, but all the evidence indicates they really do.