• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Phil Snow / some 3-3-3 structure today.

ellis

40 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think it'll be a blitz package. It's gonna be about confusing the QB as to where the pressure is coming from, but if you see us come out in a stack there's gonna be pressure coming.

It was 100% prevent on that play in the link and it still didn’t prevent a nice gain.

15 hours ago, ellis said:

My friend Cody Alexander, one of the smartest minds on defensive schematics that I know, has talked about this with me in the past: Phil Snow’s multiple looks. 

Here’s the 3-3-3 (stacked) from earlier.

On paper, that's a scary ass group!

• Flames 1

14 hours ago, Harbingers said:

It was 100% prevent on that play in the link and it still didn’t prevent a nice gain.

If we line up 6 or 7 guys on the line and rush different guys from different angles it doesn't matter what we call it. The Ravens run a 3-4 base but rarely only rush 3. The way we ran it last year was a prevent defense and it was a poor scheme. So before passing judgment I will wait to see how we actually use it this year. But to your point only rushing 3 and not disguising who is rushing is way too easy for the OL to pick up their blocking assignments  and it results in  no pressure making our secondary defend receivers forever in a zone scheme which is easily defeated by any quarterback in this league.

• Poo 1

Not a fan of the 3 safety look.  IIRC, it did not fare well last year.

Is this based on personnel, or scheme?  Because it's not like we have a bunch of talent at safety after Chinn.  It's about as good an idea as running a 3-4 with our linebackers...

Honestly, we should just play a base nickel like 90% of the time.

23 hours ago, ellis said:

My friend Cody Alexander, one of the smartest minds on defensive schematics that I know, has talked about this with me in the past: Phil Snow’s multiple looks. 

Here’s the 3-3-3 (stacked) from earlier.

Hey John, quick question for you. I’m pretty interested in the X’s and O’s of football, but I’ve never heard of a 3-3-3 look. I thought it might be because only 9 players were on the field, but I counted 10 when I rewatched the video. Is 3-3-3 a variation of a 3-3-5 and terminology used by Snow and the panthers? 

34 minutes ago, HarbingersDad said:

Hey John, quick question for you. I’m pretty interested in the X’s and O’s of football, but I’ve never heard of a 3-3-3 look. I thought it might be because only 9 players were on the field, but I counted 10 when I rewatched the video. Is 3-3-3 a variation of a 3-3-5 and terminology used by Snow and the panthers? 

The 3/3/3 references 3DL, 3LB, 3 SAF. I know, it’s a little confusing. I probably should’ve clarified that. Here’s a great article talking about Phil’s defensive structure, including some tidbits about this scheme. This is more of a sub package look, not base. (Base has typically been a 43 under, with Reddick as the strong side backer off the ball, Burns as the “LEO”—edge player on ball. Snow ran this as his base in college, with a lot of C1/C3. Seattle has been running this base alignment for years.)

https://matchquarters.com/tag/phil-snow/

Edited by ellis
  • Pie 1

33 minutes ago, ellis said:

The 3/3/3 references 3DL, 3LB, 3 SAF. I know, it’s a little confusing. I probably should’ve clarified that. Here’s a great article talking about Phil’s defensive structure, including some tidbits about this scheme. This is more of a sub package look, not base. (Base has typically been a 43 under, with Reddick as the strong side backer off the ball, Burns as the “LEO”—edge player on ball. Snow ran this as his base in college, with a lot of C1/C3. Seattle has been running this base alignment for years.)

https://matchquarters.com/tag/phil-snow/

Awesome that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the response!

• Pie 1