• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Grier or PJ

At this point I would want Grier to be the backup and PJ to be the Practice Squad / Scout Team QB. If either has to be the guy long term this season we are picking top 5 so it really doesn't matter. Both of these guys are trash and we likely do indeed have the worst QB1-3 room in all of football heading into the season. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Varking said:

At this point I would want Grier to be the backup and PJ to be the Practice Squad / Scout Team QB. If either has to be the guy long term this season we are picking top 5 so it really doesn't matter. Both of these guys are trash and we likely do indeed have the worst QB1-3 room in all of football heading into the season. 

Biggest selling point for PJ over Grier IMO is for PJ to play the role of opposing QBs in practice for our D. 

and I didn’t think he was practice squad eligible 

CMC and our D are the key this year.   And we play a lot of mobile QBs. 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Biggest selling point for PJ over Grier IMO is for PJ to play the role of opposing QBs in practice for our D. 

and I didn’t think he was practice squad eligible 

CMC and our D are the key this year.   And we play a lot of mobile QBs. 

I don't disagree with the thinking, but I also think his 1:5 TD to INT ratio and his under 40% completions this preseason means the defense won't be getting good examples of what QBs on other teams do. If you don't care about the end result of the play and just want a runner back there to mimic another teams QB then just use an old WR. 

9 minutes ago, Varking said:

I don't disagree with the thinking, but I also think his 1:5 TD to INT ratio and his under 40% completions this preseason means the defense won't be getting good examples of what QBs on other teams do. If you don't care about the end result of the play and just want a runner back there to mimic another teams QB then just use an old WR. 

They will get the pocket mobility and containment reps though.   

Which to me, outweighs whatever difference there might be between Grier and PJ in terms of accuracy.   Plus, PJ presents more threats on where and how a ball can get there.  They are just defense reps.  So the ball placement doesn’t matter to me in that setting as much.  D either did there job or didn’t. 

if he is practice squad eligible then I really give 0 shits.    Doesn’t matter to me then. 

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

They will get the pocket mobility and containment reps though.   

Which to me, outweighs whatever difference there might be between Grier and PJ in terms of accuracy.   Plus, PJ presents more threats on where and how a ball can get there.  They are just defense reps.  So the ball placement doesn’t matter to me in that setting as much.  D either did there job or didn’t. 

if he is practice squad eligible then I really give 0 shits.    Doesn’t matter to me then. 

Yeah I am not sure if he can be put on the practice squad. 

6 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I imagine that we will be scanning the wire for a veteran QB to backup Darnold.  If that happens we won't keep 4 QBs.  One will either be cut or sent to the PS. 

Now that Grier and PJ both have had the opportunity to run with the 2nd team offense who do you think has the upper hand for our 3rd string QB?

PJ seems to be more electric but Grier didn't hurt himself with the 2s. 

Week 3 will tell a lot after Darnold finishes the 1st half of the Pittsburgh game.

Whoever starts the 2nd half might be the one on the way out.  Give him one final shot with the 2nd team offense.

Thoughts 

Could it be we were showcasing Will Grier last night to the rest of the league?

Atlanta just lost McCarron for the year and other teams like the Bengals and Seahawks could use a young and cheap backup QB.

2 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Could it be we were showcasing Will Grier last night to the rest of the league?

Atlanta just lost McCarron for the year and other teams like the Bengals and Seahawks could use a young and cheap backup QB.

Interesting take.  I like Grier over PJ.  I think with the starting offense Grier has a better chance of executing the offense.  I always see PJ as scrambling instead of standing in the pocket and making an accurate throw.