• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers and WR Robby Anderson have agreed to a 2-year, $29.5 million extension, per source.

SgtJoo

11 hours ago, Toomers said:

Explain to me how they tore up his current contract? It was 12M cap hit(8M salary + 4M signing bonus left) Adding 4.5M to it doesn’t just bring it to 12.5M. So what awful takes failed to account for this year like you just did. It’s 3/41.5M even if figured that way. 

And TM is the reason this isn’t a good idea. If he can move up to WR2, they will know by the end of the year. And do any of these players brought up play with the highest paid RB, ever. Who is a receiving weapon as well. If I’m Moore, I’m not playing a snap until my deal is done. If Robbie doesn’t have to risk it, why should he?

We didn't pay him $12 million this year. So to present it like we are giving him $16.5 million this year is just wrong. We don't know yet the exact specifics of how they designed the extension for cap purposes. The $4.5 million more he got paid this year could've been designated as a signing bonus on the new contract and he only goes up to a $13.5 million cap hit this year. That would make the most sense honestly. And in that scenario, if you want to be a stickler about it, it would be a 3 year $38.5 million contract.

But let's humor you and make this deal out to look as bad as possible and call it 3 years,  $41.5 million, even though the math with signing bonuses isn't as simple as you presented it. How many receivers with nearly 100 catches and 1100 receiving yards last year would get a new 3 year contract for $13.8 million per year if signing today? Any? 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

You seem to care more about how the books are kept than what the value of the contract is.  He is being paid an average salary of 12.5 mil a season for 3 seasons.  I'm not sure why you are focusing on his last contract is no longer in play.   The past signing bonus has already been paid.  I couldn't care less how its accounted for on paper.

No I’m not. You are. And you’re making up numbers to make your point. As clearly shown, he had 12M already this year. Any way you slice it, It’s 29.5M for two years. What happened to the 4M from his first contract? Why do you care he got it? On paper, is all that matters to the team. The team hasn’t accounted for it yet, so it matters. 

14 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

We didn't pay him $12 million this year. So to present it like we are giving him $16.5 million this year is just wrong. We don't know yet the exact specifics of how they designed the extension for cap purposes. The $4.5 million more he got paid this year could've been designated as a signing bonus on the new contract and he only goes up to a $13.5 million cap hit this year. That would make the most sense honestly. And in that scenario, if you want to be a stickler about it, it would be a 3 year $38.5 million contract.

But let's humor you and make this deal out to look as bad as possible and call it 3 years,  $41.5 million, even though the math with signing bonuses isn't as simple as you presented it. How many receivers with nearly 100 catches and 1100 receiving yards last year would get a new 3 year contract for $13.8 million per year if signing today? Any? 

What was his cap hit before yesterday? Why was it that? How does 4M the team hasn’t accounted for just disappear. It’s almost 15M/yr for two more years. Trying to pick and choose what counts isn’t how the salary cap works. 

And I didn’t think it was that bad anyhow. I wouldn’t have done it in the Panthers position. I simply said that the 3/37M was BS. And I’ve shown why repeatedly. But I’ve disagreed plenty with the FO decisions of the Panthers. Wonder how those turned out? 

2 hours ago, Toomers said:

What was his cap hit before yesterday? Why was it that? How does 4M the team hasn’t accounted for just disappear. It’s almost 15M/yr for two more years. Trying to pick and choose what counts isn’t how the salary cap works. 

And I didn’t think it was that bad anyhow. I wouldn’t have done it in the Panthers position. I simply said that the 3/37M was BS. And I’ve shown why repeatedly. But I’ve disagreed plenty with the FO decisions of the Panthers. Wonder how those turned out? 

Because that's exactly how the salary cap works. It's an already-accrued obligation that was paid last year. The paper obligation for purposes of the cap can be changed in a variety of ways. Teams do it multiple times every off-season. The 3 years/$37M is not BS. That is the literal structure of this deal. 

You are not nearly as smart as you apparently think you are. 

2 hours ago, Smittymoose said:

Because that's exactly how the salary cap works. It's an already-accrued obligation that was paid last year. The paper obligation for purposes of the cap can be changed in a variety of ways. Teams do it multiple times every off-season. The 3 years/$37M is not BS. That is the literal structure of this deal. 

You are not nearly as smart as you apparently think you are. 

Yes. Teams do this every year. Which means how it is on paper is what matters. The team gave CMC 21M in signing bonus. In one check. Does it matter that he already has the money in his pocket, or how it’s split up on paper over 5 years? Who has reported this “structure”? Where is the press release saying his cap hit is only 37M over the next 3 years. Not reported speculation. I want to see this “literal structure”. 

Anytime, any player, anything at all to do with the salary cap, I would be more than happy to discuss. I’ve proven my knowledge of the salary cap many times over on here. Let’s see how smart I am compared to you, specifically. Let me know when you want to start. 

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

Yes. Teams do this every year. Which means how it is on paper is what matters. The team gave CMC 21M in signing bonus. In one check. Does it matter that he already has the money in his pocket, or how it’s split up on paper over 5 years? Who has reported this “structure”? Where is the press release saying his cap hit is only 37M over the next 3 years. Not reported speculation. I want to see this “literal structure”. 

Anytime, any player, anything at all to do with the salary cap, I would be more than happy to discuss. I’ve proven my knowledge of the salary cap many times over on here. Let’s see how smart I am compared to you, specifically. Let me know when you want to start. 

Why does a "press release" matter? The salary cap data is all that matters, and we don't have it yet. Which is why you look like a fool (again) for insisting that the $4M must be counted in this year's cap without knowing the structure of the deal. The only thing we know is the remaining actual obligation over the next three years, which is $37M. 

This makes no sense. Like I said before, you are not as smart as you think you are. Anyone who has to tell everyone they're smart, probably isn't very smart. You fit that to a tee.

1 minute ago, Smittymoose said:

Why does a "press release" matter? The salary cap data is all that matters, and we don't have it yet. Which is why you look like a fool (again) for insisting that the $4M must be counted in this year's cap without knowing the structure of the deal. The only thing we know is the remaining actual obligation over the next three years, which is $37M. 

This makes no sense. Like I said before, you are not as smart as you think you are. Anyone who has to tell everyone they're smart, probably isn't very smart. You fit that to a tee.

If you don’t have it yet, which no one does, how is it the “literal structure”? So what did you mean by that? And I’m just not the one trying to ignore the 4M owed this year from his first deal. If his cap hit was already 12M this year, before any of this, how is it only 37M over 3 years. 12 and 29.5 is 41.5M. Not 37M. 

There’s plenty of evidence of my knowledge over the past 5 years. Pick a player that signed over that period. Anyone. And let’s see what I had to say about if it was a good idea. How about you? Got any posts that will show your knowledge on the subject. You can keep saying how you know better? Let’s prove it. Name someone. I’ll show what I said. Then it’s your turn. Do we count how completely wrong you are about this situation which I’ve proven many times already in this thread.