• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fittermagic

MHS831

4 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Agreed. The guy has been here a couple months and is already the greatest GM in team history.  He hasnt even registered a Win yet as a GM even in the pre season. How does that work? 

Those are your words; nobody is saying what you are hearing.  We are simply saying we like the aggression. So far, his first draft seems strong. Gettlemen never traded back and Hurney rarely did--this guy is different.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

I get the part where we shouldn't be too excited over players in preseason. After all A. Edwards was the MVP of training camp at least once. 

IMO, What the difference is consistency.  It's Horn being on someone like a blanket all the tiime, Marshall making contested catches time after time.  Christensen improving leaps and bounds from the beinging of training camp until now.  Tremble making catches when his question mark was whether he could catch. Smith showing the same skills as Marshall.  Nixon, Taylor and the other lower round picks showing they have the talent to play.

Hurney and G-man had a nice pick here and there and some would show a flash that would pump you up. It just seems to me that these guys are legit and will contibute to this team.

The FAs are IMO not as exciting, at least on the offensive side. 

Arnold was hyped up in practice but I haven't heard much about him during preseason.  Unless of course he is considered a starter and Rhule didn't play him.  I do believe he and Darnold are going to have a good season.

Erving and Elfein haven't really grabbed rolls that we all figured were written in stone.

Perryman was a disaster, Reddick was a great pick for the defense and Luvu may help elivate the loss of Perryman. 

I do like that Fitterer doesn't just say F It and let players go to waiver wire without trying to get something for it.  I can't remember when Hurney or Gettleman  every traded a player we were probably going to cut and get something for him.

There isn't a GM in football that hasn't made a bad decision on a player.  Overall, Fitterer is doing an amazing job and He is going to build a championship caliber team.  When you add talent through the draft like we have these last two drafts (2020 was more Rhule than Hurney) you have alot of super talent under rookie contracts.  This gives us more money to fill those spots we need now through free agency.

I also like that he and Rhule seem to have a good level of communication.  Something I don't think our GM has ever had with the HC.  

• Pie 2

19 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Those are your words; nobody is saying what you are hearing.  We are simply saying we like the aggression. So far, his first draft seems strong. Gettlemen never traded back and Hurney rarely did--this guy is different.

No...Its not just my words people are definitely already saying he is the best. I can read. An aggression doesnt equal success. Hurney was definitely aggressive at time as well he just failed afterwards more times than not. Strong draft and trading back remains to be seen if it was beneficial as we haven't played any games yet. Im gonna save the praise till then, the title of the thread is "Fittermagic"  my guy. We heard the same thing with gettleman when he first arrived. 

• Flames 1

5 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

Pie for ‘… as a mild breeze wafted through my silky-fine hair’.  I crown you the new Huddle poet laureate.

He has a long way to go to be on @SCP 's level.  That man could roll eloquent phases of trash talk that no mortal man could ever create.  No, no I say to you this my friend is a pale comparison to  words that have been bestowed upon us poor peasants.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

He has a long way to go to be on @SCP 's level.  That man could roll eloquent phases of trash talk that no mortal man could ever create.  No, no I say to you this my friend is a pale comparison to  words that have been bestowed upon us poor peasants.

Rebuke accepted.  Greatness should not be bestowed so cavalierly.  I repent.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

No...Its not just my words people are definitely already saying he is the best. I can read. An aggression doesnt equal success. Hurney was definitely aggressive at time as well he just failed afterwards more times than not. Strong draft and trading back remains to be seen if it was beneficial as we haven't played any games yet. Im gonna save the praise till then, the title of the thread is "Fittermagic"  my guy. We heard the same thing with gettleman when he first arrived. 

The best that we've ever had? Quite possibly - it's a very low bar.

That said, it's clearly still Rhule's show. Fitterer is having fun doing all the admin though. 

5 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Not saying your wrong, I am simply saying I am not. 

I really like the quality of this draft on day 3, and if you can point me to a day 3 in any draft before this one that is/was worthy of equal expectations, I'd love to hear it.  And yes, we did hear that about Gettlemen, and he did a good job of getting us out of cap hell with one year contracts. There was reason to be excited.  We were without crystal balls then, as we are now.  But this is what makes it fun--and us fans.

Edited by MHS831

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

I really like the quality of this draft on day 3, and if you can point me to a day 3 in any draft before this one that is/was worthy of equal expectations, I'd love to hear it.  And yes, we did hear that about Gettlemen, and he did a good job of getting us out of cap hell with one year contracts. There was reason to be excited.  We were without crystal balls then, as we are now.  But this is what makes it fun--and us fans.

I think the main thing about what made Gettlemen so popular for a while was the simple fact he wasn't Hurney.  

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

I think the main thing about what made Gettlemen so popular for a while was the simple fact he wasn't Hurney.  

I nearly said that, but then CRA would have come back with,
"The same could be said about Fitterer" and he'd be right!

9 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Just wanted to start a thread to examine our new GM.  He is proactive, does not hesitate to make a move when needed, and he knows the talent pool, as it seems. So as I sit on my front porch this morning thinking, "How can I contribute to the Huddle today?" as a mild breeze wafted through my silky-fine hair, I thought, "Why not celebrate the man with the best moves on the team recently: Scott Fitterer."

His aggressive style:  Perryman traded, not cut of kept on the roster as in the past; Little traded instead of being cut or kept on the roster as in the past (Marty would milk his picks for all they were worth--the reason he wanted Marcel Dareus over Cam Newton--to see if Clausen would develop), and then we trade for a strong-legged kicker because we have had enough of Joey Slyce--instead of waiting to see who was cut and then trying to battle to sign them, we make a move--for the pick we got for Little (basically), so SF is playing with house money.

So far, the draft seems exceptional:  Yes, Horn is that guy, Marshall is a stud with first round talent, Christensen is going to find a place to play very soon (RT with Moton at LT or LG is my guess), Tremble is a player, Hubbard will give CMC some breathers and prolong his career, Nixon is showing that he can contribute, Shi Smith has been very good--a slot WR if I have ever seen one, Taylor seems to be a CB gem found late in the draft, and even Haskins can get up the field and make noise in the backfield....This tells me that he (and the scouts) have an eye for talent late in the draft, something we have never seen here very often.  This could go down as the best draft in franchise history if Horn and Marshall reach their potential and the other players mentioned contribute effectively.  Shi Smith is the sleeper who could remind us of another Smith at WR who was a sleeper, Nixon and Haskins could contribute to a rotation now (what? Day 3 picks you say?).  I have to be honest--I think Tremble is one of those locker room guys--a leader on the field with his tenacity and work ethic, an overachiever who will fire up the crowd and sideline.  He is another sleeper.  Christensen is a technician, a very athletic OL and he plays like it; he will find a place in the lineup soon.  So what is not to like so far? Horn will be the best CB we have seen in black and blue, and Marshall could be better than Moose. 

Free Agency:  The move that seems to impress me the most is Luvu.  Where did they find this 24 year old? (I know, the Jets where we found Anderson, Darnold, and Elflein) At worst a special team warrior, at best a starting LB very soon. Currently, he is on a 1-year, $1m contract). If he continues to play well, we could be locking him down soon. Reddick was a great move for a bargain ($8m, 1 year); maybe he has a good year and we can afford to re-sign him.  Dan Arnold looks to be a bargain for 2 years ($3m per) and Morgan Fox (2 years, $4m per).  Getting John Miller back on a $1m, 1 year deal (for a starting G) was a coup.  If Elflein or Erving materialize into players, free agency was a win.  The reason I say that is these players were the first signings during the open free agency period and we paid top dollar, imo.  If both bust, it hurts Fitt's stock.  Fitterer's background, however, is college scouting, so he should be better at drafting than working free agency, but both seem to be rather successful in my opinion.

Neck out, sharpen those swords and have at it or thank me for the obvious, but doggone it--I am worth it.

Eagles GM Search: Seahawks' Scott Fitterer to interview with Philadelphia -  Bleeding Green Nation

• Pie 1

I really like Fitts and Rhules philosophy. It seems to be, any draft pick after the first 20  seems to be a crapshoot, so get a lot of them. QB purgatory? Get a bunch, run them up the flagpole and move on if no one salutes. Recognize and move on quickly from errors. Definitely different from what we are used to.