• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who is the backup QB ?

catnip

3 minutes ago, Shocker said:

You are vastly overrating Griers “performance” in the preseason.  He sucked most of the time

I think most of us agree Grier still sucks but you can't defend 71% completions to 41% on a similar amount of throws. And Grier had the bigger run too. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

I think Grier won the battle with this last game but I think we should keep both of them to be honest. 

Walker has the skills to keep us competitive and Grier is actually showing good potential for the first time. Should Darnold get hurt or crumble, it's worth having them both around to evaluate.

Edited by OneBadCat

28 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

I think Grier won the battle with this last game but I think we should keep both of them to be honest. 

Walker has the skills to keep us competitive and Grier is actually showing good potential for the first time. Should Darnold get hurt or crumble, it's worth having them both around to evaluate.

I agree. PJ Walker should be kept on the practice squad.

If the Temple connection doesn’t come into play then Grier really should get it. Either guy is going to lose us games if Sam goes down so I say roll with the higher ceiling which is Grier. Now I’d be fine if we somehow get a cheap veteran and then cut both PJ and Will. I’d prefer to only keep 2 on roster 

On 8/28/2021 at 9:26 AM, Varking said:

Will Grier just smoked PJ Walker this preseason. 

PJ Walker played in 3 preseason games and did not complete more than half his passes in any game. 16 of 39 passing for a completion percentage of 41% - 252 yards passing, 1 touchdown to go along with 1 carry for 4 yards. 

Will Grier played in 3 preseason games and did not complete less than 60% of his passes in any game. 22 of 31 passing for a completion percentage of 71% - 222 yards passing, 0 touchdowns passing to go along with 7 carries for 32 rushing yards and 1 rushing touchdown. 

If Will Grier just dirted the next 8 passes to have the same amount of throws as PJ he would still have a better completion percent by about 15%. That is how badly PJ Walker just performed. If Rhule wants to reward guys for making progress over where they were a year ago, Grier has improved where it looks like Walker has regressed. If Walker is the 2 its just because he was at Temple. 

I pretty much said the same thing in the final 53 cut thread. Spot on.

49 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I'm very disappointed we weren't in on the Minshew trade - that would have solved a lot of problems.

Right now we're picking between the tallest midgets at QB. Grier has played better in pre-season, but if either one has to start for any extended period of time we're boned. 

I believe Minshew wants to be a starter. He has a good chance at doing that in Philly. I don’t think they are sold on Jalen Hurts.

Just now, Carl Spackler said:

I’m just saying between the two, the guy who won. If it were me I’d be starting Minshew. 

If Grier gets the job I will support him.  He did make some nice plays last game and hasn’t ever really been given a chance here.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

If Grier gets the job I will support him.  He did make some nice plays last game and hasn’t ever really been given a chance here.

Wrong. Grier was given a chance in 2019, kyle allen and taylor heineke played better, and they still cut heineke and kept Grier. 

They have been nothing but fair.