• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sean Ryan on key Darnold improvement (P-Wire's Rizzuti) & my $0.02

top dawg

On 9/3/2021 at 9:14 AM, Louie said:

For years we heard about how Cam was improved on his footwork, and then when the real games started he threw off his back foot often. I hope Darnold can actually improve and be really arcuate. He has the physical tools to be great. With our roster (except for a couple O linemen) I'm feeling pretty good!

Thats because Newton never really worked on his footwork or really anything tbh. He will always be run first gun slinger but as we saw it only last so many years. Thats not on the coaches.

I’ve said it multiple times before - we’re gonna know if Darnold is the answer in the first few games. 

With that said Rhule needs to stop being so stubborn and put the guys out there that can give Darnold a chance. 

brown needs to start. He’s a rookie but he will not get pushed around in this league. Christensen needs to just be the LT. Erving sucks. Move Miller to LG - make these moves and let it ride. 

2 hours ago, Snake said:

Thats because Newton never really worked on his footwork or really anything tbh.

That's a little harsh, if not untrue. And I was always skeptical of Cam--still am--as a supposedly elite QB and criticized him for not making the leap (but I think he worked at it).

On 9/3/2021 at 6:02 PM, bigdavis said:

IMO, this whole "happy feet" syndrome has been way overblown.

It stems mostly from Steve Smith's on-air comments, early in the last broadcast.  Maybe Smith should stick to critiquing WRs, CBs, and route running, about which he's an expert.  He's never been a QB, never thrown a pass, to my knowledge, and has never stood in any pocket, under a rush.

Try to recall the footwork of Peyton Manning.  I think that would be described as "happy feet," when in reality, it's far better than standing flat-footed.  Manning chose that method to be better prepared to launch in any direction.  I'd describe it, not as "happy feet,' but as versatile and athletic footwork.

So Steve Smith Sr has no idea what he's talking about but you're going straight to a Peyton Manning comparison? Let's focus on Sam just becoming a good decision maker with the football that's the biggest question and is the most pressing concern moving forward because he has a history or turnovers regardless of footwork.

4 minutes ago, frankw said:

So Steve Smith Sr has no idea what he's talking about but you're going straight to a Peyton Manning comparison? Let's focus on Sam just becoming a good decision maker with the football that's the biggest question and is the most pressing concern moving forward because he has a history or turnovers regardless of footwork.

Not that I ever wanted to give Steve Smith's opinion any relevance in this thread, but Big Davis vs Smitty on a QB having happy feet, who you gonna believe?🤔😁

Decisions I Dont Know GIF by Dash Home Loans

• Pie 2

On 9/3/2021 at 9:46 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

When the pressure comes, panicers will panic. Mechanical flaws show back up. Clean pockets can show improvements but pressure tells the truth of the instincts.

That sack fumble overturned by fortuitous review showed pure panic.

Not by his comments. He didn't want to take a sack and put us out of field goal range so he threw the ball at the ground close to his player.  Now he should have taken the sack and not try to dump off the ball but he did have logic in his reasoning which is just the opposite of pure panic. Rhule set him straight for sure but he didn't panic to me.  Hurried and unsure at times but moved well in the pocket against a constant blitz. I thought he held up fairly well.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Sean Ryan.  😉

Well, even Ryan alluded to the fact that Sam has improved his so-called "happy feet", even if he didn't expressly use the term. That's why I don't know why you and @bigdavis seem to want to make such a clean delineation of what the two are saying. It was pretty obvious from the preseason game that Sam did display a little frenetic feet in the pocket--I mean, he wasn't perfect--but he settled down, as alluded to by Anthony Rizzuti, and a number of Huddlers--so I really don't see what the point of contention is here, unless you believe that Darnold didn't, and that's your choice (though I disagree). Furthermore, Smitty didn't really disagree with Ryan, which points even more to the fact that the premise that people are saying things because of what Smitty said really has little merit.

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

That's a little harsh, if not untrue. And I was always skeptical of Cam--still am--as a supposedly elite QB and criticized him for not making the leap (but I think he worked at it).

Its not harsh. He's just always been able to rely on his athletic ability even in the NFL. I do think OCs had to create playbooks around him as well because of that same reason. Do I think he needed a better line and WRs? Oh absolutely but his rushing load was more about him than his OC. Its why its easier to walk away from Cam Newton when you have Matt Jones. Because Matt Jones is going to work within a system not have to have a system built around him.

3 hours ago, Rubi said:

I’ve said it multiple times before - we’re gonna know if Darnold is the answer in the first few games. 

With that said Rhule needs to stop being so stubborn and put the guys out there that can give Darnold a chance. 

brown needs to start. He’s a rookie but he will not get pushed around in this league. Christensen needs to just be the LT. Erving sucks. Move Miller to LG - make these moves and let it ride. 

Irony.  A stubborn fan calling a coach, stubborn.  

Whether we are talking about Cam or Sam or really any QB, If they are changing their footwork they are having to consciously think about what they are doing. In their head they are remembering where to put their feet and how to position their bodies. When you have the time to do these "new" techniques it can make a difference. When the bullets start flying you really need to be able to process quickly. Call it muscle memory or instincts, or whatever you want to, but like many people have said the bad habits will resurface when he doesn't have enough time. That's why our seeming disinterest in putting together a more notable group of players on the O-line worries me. Its going to be hard for same to develop that new footwork if he's running for his life down after down. 

13 minutes ago, Michael G said:

Whether we are talking about Cam or Sam or really any QB, If they are changing their footwork they are having to consciously think about what they are doing. In their head they are remembering where to put their feet and how to position their bodies. When you have the time to do these "new" techniques it can make a difference. When the bullets start flying you really need to be able to process quickly. Call it muscle memory or instincts, or whatever you want to, but like many people have said the bad habits will resurface when he doesn't have enough time. That's why our seeming disinterest in putting together a more notable group of players on the O-line worries me. Its going to be hard for same to develop that new footwork if he's running for his life down after down. 

That will be when his "happy feet" transform into "athletic" purposeful feet...😅

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Not by his comments. He didn't want to take a sack and put us out of field goal range so he threw the ball at the ground close to his player.  Now he should have taken the sack and not try to dump off the ball but he did have logic in his reasoning which is just the opposite of pure panic. Rhule set him straight for sure but he didn't panic to me.  Hurried and unsure at times but moved well in the pocket against a constant blitz. I thought he held up fairly well.

Please. I don't care what he said. He was in the grasp getting a windmilled by two defenders and he just panicked. There was zero logic involved.