• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sean Ryan on key Darnold improvement (P-Wire's Rizzuti) & my $0.02

top dawg

Apparently QB Coach Sean Ryan talked to the media yesterday, and Anthony Rizzuti of Panthers Wire highlighted a key point.

“I think his footwork. I think his footwork in the pocket,” Ryan said when asked of a particular improvement in the starter’s game since he arrived. “I think there’s less movement. I don’t think he moves as much when he doesn’t have to. For me, that’s a big deal.”

That quite possibly could be a big deal, but I'm not buying it until I see Darnold display it on a consistent basis, without a red jersey, against first team defenses where big men are trying to implant him in the FieldTurf. 

As Rizzuti pointed out, Darnold did show some pocket mastery once he settled down last Friday as he navigated Pittsburgh's second stringers, and maybe I am a bit jaded due to seeing relatively recent Panthers QBs get rolled up and injured on our beloved but dearly departed natural grass, but it was what happened before Darnold "reeled in his footwork" that haunts me. The "happy feet" and really ill-advised throw brought a rush of bad memories, the premature sum of all fears, predetermined and jaded expectations, and a "see, I told you so" out-of-tune chorus of Huddle voices (including maybe even my own) in my head. The only comfort that I had was wrapping myself up in the security blanket of, "It's the preseason." So, excuse me if I have to see more. I've been in a low-key personal struggle to tamp those voices and the negativity down. But Rhule is not a fool, and Sean Ryan is a good QB coach, as displayed by the logic of why "happy feet" don't necessarily make for happy results.

“Footwork relates to it in a progression-style passing game. When your feet are on time and you’re in rhythm, you can make quick decisions and you’re comfortable with doing it. Versus ‘Hey, my feet are moving. I’m not ready to throw when I should be ready to throw. Now, my timing is off and I’m doing things with the football that I shouldn’t be doing in normal progressions.'”

His portrayal of the potential domino effect is simple, yet literal coach-speak. He knows what Darnold's problems are. Hell, we all know. The Jets certainly did a number on Sam. We'll see if Ryan has really helped him to develop--fixed some of those issues. And, maybe equally as important in regards to Darnold, we'll see if we've fixed some of the issues to put Darnold in a better situation to succeed once the regular season begins...because preseason never tells the whole story.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/03/panthers-qbs-coach-sean-ryan-sam-darnold/

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

There will be moments this season where Darnold will have setbacks as he tries to move on from bad habits, just like we saw in the preseason game.  However, one thing we can be sure of is that Rhule and Ryan will emphasize learning from each game and showing consistent improvement every week. 

• Pie 9

For years we heard about how Cam was improved on his footwork, and then when the real games started he threw off his back foot often. I hope Darnold can actually improve and be really arcuate. He has the physical tools to be great. With our roster (except for a couple O linemen) I'm feeling pretty good!

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Louie said:

For years we heard about how Cam was improved on his footwork, and then when the real games started he threw off his back foot often. I hope Darnold can actually improve and be really arcuate. He has the physical tools to be great. With our roster (except for a couple O linemen) I'm feeling pretty good!

That was always my biggest concern with Cam and Rivera.  Cam never showed a commitment to change until it was too late due to injuries and Rivera never had a commitment to help him get better because....it's Rivera. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Louie said:

When the bullets start flying for real it's virtually impossible not to revert back to how you've been doing things for years and years. A few months of drills doesn't rewire instinct developed over years.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Cam is water under the bridge. 

I want to see Darnold make good decisions.  That was always his problem in NY.  We can talk about footwork all day - and I agree it's important - but his decision making is what got him in trouble.

I think panicky footwork and decision making are directly related.  If he can remain calm in the pocket and not panic, then his decision making will also improve. 

Edited by NAS
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, NAS said:

I think panicky footwork and decision making are directly related.  If he can remain calm in the pocket and not panic, then his decision making will also improve. 

When the pressure comes, panicers will panic. Mechanical flaws show back up. Clean pockets can show improvements but pressure tells the truth of the instincts.

That sack fumble overturned by fortuitous review showed pure panic.

• Pie 6

41 minutes ago, Louie said:

Part of the reason I never fell in love with Newton (pre or post Draft) was because his mechanics sucked.

He got by on sheer talent. He improved as a player, but he never made that quantum leap that Rodgers expected him to (after he played against us when Newton was a rookie, Rodgers said he was glad that the Packers were playing us now rather than when Newton made the leap).

It seems like Darnold is more coachable so far, but I agree the test will be when the pocket starts collapsing during the season.

Edited by OldhamA
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 4

34 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Cam is water under the bridge. 

I want to see Darnold make good decisions.  That was always his problem in NY.  We can talk about footwork all day - and I agree it's important - but his decision making is what got him in trouble.

Nah his footwork got him in trouble in NY. That and having a terrible OC.