• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If the Panthers lose to the Jets.....

hepcat

Just now, OldhamA said:

Rhule would be fired if we picked in the Top 5.

Potentially.  The win total and team trajectory needs to be upward.  I'm not ready to give him slack because he has the HC gene.  This team needs to click and improve this season no doubt. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Depends on the situations. If we look awful at obvious weaknesses(QB/OL), probably makes the season hopes dim slightly. If it's a back and forth battle, where we still show we are a competitive team, maybe just first game rust.

I am not going to jump off a cliff if we lose it.

Even if it's the latter and it's a back and forth game, the Panthers are at home and should have the talent and experience to win the game even if it's close.

If we see a rookie QB and head coach pull out a last second victory on the Panthers home turf, something that eluded the Panthers all season last year, it's going to be meltdown worthy here on Sunday.

It won't be the same feeling as losing a back and forth game to 7 time Superbowl Champion Tom Brady on the road in the final minutes, like the Cowboys did last night.

Losses might count the same in the standings, but they are not all created equally.

Just now, davos said:

Potentially.  The win total and team trajectory needs to be upward.  I'm not ready to give him slack because he has the HC gene.  This team needs to click and improve this season no doubt. 

I should have added "baring a catastrophic run of injuries". 

He's been given everything he wanted - if the team goes backwards from last year... well let's just say Tepper isn't a patient man. 

1 minute ago, OldhamA said:

I don't think Darnold is lying.

Sure, there's a bit of resentment there and maybe he'll celebrate a little harder than normal when we win, but he's evidently an even keeled guy. You have to be to play QB in this league - he can't focus all your energy on getting back at one franchise. He isn't Steve Smith.

Jake Delhomme straight up called Darnold out in the Jordan and Jake podcast and said he can say that but there's no way it's true. Jake said he was so motivated to beat the Saints in 2003 in his first year with the Panthers because then Saints head coach Jim Haslett had considered him a backup. And he did beat the Saints twice that year.

And let's say it is true and Sam doesn't give a sh*t and it's just another game to him If Sam isn't using that as motivation then he might not have what it takes to be a QB in the NFL. The greats always seem to have a chip on their shoulder. Maybe that's why he's sucked ass since he came into the NFL then.

• Flames 1

I will say this game will be able to show a lot fairly quickly given how depleted the Jets are with a completely green coaching staff.

Joe Brady, Sam Darnold, and yes, the OL we are all questioning better show up.  The leashes are not long after the Teddy debacle of 2020.  We have too many promising young weapons to waste at this point and honestly need a system and QB that can start to get it all clicking in high gear.

I won't have as much patience as year 1 with Rhule but I'm willing to see how these first ~5 weeks shake out.  It's really one of the easier opening schedules in the league this season.

10 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Jake Delhomme straight up called Darnold out in the Jordan and Jake podcast and said he can say that but there's no way it's true. Jake said he was so motivated to beat the Saints in 2003 in his first year with the Panthers because then Saints head coach Jim Haslett had considered him a backup. And he did beat the Saints twice that year.

And let's say it is true and Sam doesn't give a sh*t and it's just another game to him If Sam isn't using that as motivation then he might not have what it takes to be a QB in the NFL. The greats always seem to have a chip on their shoulder. Maybe that's why he's sucked ass since he came into the NFL then.

If Sam didn't want to humiliate the Jets....why the fug would we want him as our QB? 

and yes, you also want your QB to lie and say PC things like he did in front of the microphone.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

I think the way in which we lost would determine my level of disappointment and my outlook for the rest of the season. 

There's a multitude of ways that we can lose. Some untimely penalties, some bad fumbles by various players. etc etc.

If we lose because Sam is sacked 10 times and he throws 4 ints because he's just heaving the ball down the field then I'll be seriously discouraged and have a pretty grim outlook on the season. 

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Delhomme is a completely different personality to Darnold. 

I didn't say he didn't give a poo - there's a little more on this game than a usual weekly matchup, but he's not hell bent on revenge. 

I'm not going to engage with the last part of that statement.