• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

An early look at 2022 QB class...

methodtoll

After the Senior Bowl, Willis has become a hot name.  I mean, he looks like he can game.  Then in the actual game, he showed off his running, less than his arm.  He carried Liberty in college.  When he played against top competition, he didn't look great.  Is that because Liberty was so outmatched?  

There are a lot of questions, and it comes down to the projections.  Can Willis read a NFL defense?  Can he make plays?  He's got a good arm, great athleticism, seems to be a good dude who has matured over his college journey.  Those are all good traits.

Can the Panthers be successful with a great athlete, who does a similar one read then run?  Or do they cut the field in half to make it easier for him?

Personally, I'd rather trade down, acquire more picks, trot Sam out next year and tell Rhule "He's your QB you wanted, coach him."  Set him up to do SOMETHING.

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

That’s kind of how I feel. He is a first rounder, solid QB. If someone drafts him at 12 no one would care, but 6 spots for your starting QB and people freak out. Assuming we can land a talent in FA on the OL, he isn’t the worst pick IMO. Pitt was playing at a high level with him as their leader, if that can translate to the next level if could pay dividends. 

• Beer 1

The more I watch of him, the more Carson Strong becomes my #1 this draft. 

Knee issues aside, he has the best tape of any of the prospects in terms of skills that translate to the NFL.

My current list:

1 - Carson Strong

2 - Matt Corral

3 - Kenny Pickett

4a - Desmond Ridder

4b - Sam Howell

6 - Malik Willis

Strong makes NFL throws and reads every week. He isn't "Mobile" in the sense that he will run for first downs, but he can navigate a pocket with the best of them. Dude has a cannon for an arm, something we haven't had since before Cam's shoulder injury.

Corral to me has more upside than Pickett, and if he's given the chance to sit a year and learn a pro style offense, I think he'll be really good.

Pickett is the "safe" pick in the draft but I question his upside. I think he has a relatively high floor, but his hands scare me. 

Ridder and Howell are neck and neck for me right now. I like Howell's game, but his long throwing motion is concerning. Ridder is solid, but has some accuracy issues. Would need to take a look at these guys more to really sus out who I like better. 

Willis - I just don't love as a QB. Dude makes some highlight reel plays but he disappears against higher competition and he is at his best when he is playing backyard football, making magic happen when plays break down - Much like Johnny Manziel, but not as bad. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

That’s kind of how I feel. He is a first rounder, solid QB. If someone drafts him at 12 no one would care, but 6 spots for your starting QB and people freak out. Assuming we can land a talent in FA on the OL, he isn’t the worst pick IMO. Pitt was playing at a high level with him as their leader, if that can translate to the next level if could pay dividends. 

Completely agree 

I much rather have Pickett on a rookie deal than trade for a Garopollo, Carr, Cousins, Tannehill, etc type QB. I think those are Pickett’s comps. Good enough to win with if everything around them is good. So with that in mind you’re going to need all the extra cap space. 

Pickett does a lot of things well but I also think he’s a lot more willing to take downfield shots than some of those guys I mentioned above. He moves better than most of them too

I won’t throw a fit if we draft him. I’ll just do what I’ve been trying to do more of lately, just hope for the best…

• Pie 1

My list today would be…

1) Howell - best all around player for me

2) Pickett - actually looked pretty good vs Clemson

3) Willis - Ole Miss tape was laughable 

4) Strong - injury concerns push him down

5) Ridder - just meh

Not liking Corrals tape at all

Edited by Shocker

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Willis question for this crowd. His completion % went from 61% last year to 64% this year. So that sounds good. But a lot of people are concerned about his accuracy. I have not seen him play. Does the 64% not really reflect his accuracy? Stats alone is always a bit of an incomplete story.

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

He is returning to Boston College this year. 

Damn, but that's even more reason to lean O Line this year and wait for quarterback in 2023, trade down if possible, bc there are three solid QBs who'd probably all go number one this year if they were eligible

Edited by ImaginaryKev
  • Pie 1

32 minutes ago, Martin said:

Quick Willis question for this crowd. His completion % went from 61% last year to 64% this year. So that sounds good. But a lot of people are concerned about his accuracy. I have not seen him play. Does the 64% not really reflect his accuracy? Stats alone is always a bit of an incomplete story.

Any stat improvement is good, IMO. I don’t really question anything too much on Willis. He is who he is as a prospect… Patrick Mahomes percentage at Texas Tech was 56%, 63%, and then 65%. 65% vs 64% isn’t a really a difference. No one questions Mahomes’ accuracy. 

Willis is one of the biggest Boom or Bust prospects I can remember in a long time at the QB position. I truly believe his success is going to hinge on what franchise he ends up at. For that reason, I don’t like him in Carolina. This regime hasn’t shown they can develop any sort of QB. 

Now if he ends up in Minnesota, Pittsburg, Tennessee, or TampaI believe his chances of being a legit NFL QB will be a lot better. 

• Pie 1