• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Cosell on Sam Darnold

TheSpecialJuan

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

I remember it was said multiple times during the Rivera era that other teams had said we pretty much did exactly what we did week in and week out without adjusting or changing much at all, and just expected the game to come down to our out-executing our opponent.  And in addition to rigged officiating, that's probably the next biggest reason we lost the Superbowl.  A very archaic philosophy if you ask me, but that had pretty much who we've been throughout our history.

It just means Ron and his crew weren't creative enough to adapt to changes in game situations or the evolving offensives or defenses in the league. 

"We run what we run until you stop it".  What doesn't say is that if you stop it he still keeps doing it hoping no one else can.

• Pie 3

17 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It just means Ron and his crew weren't creative enough to adapt to changes in game situations or the evolving offensives or defenses in the league. 

"We run what we run until you stop it".  What doesn't say is that if you stop it he still keeps doing it hoping no one else can.

While I'm a big fan of forcing your opponent to adapt to what you're doing, when they do, you've got to have a counter response ready to go.  As we all witnessed in our last Super Bowl, Ron didn't have a Plan B.  You've always got to have a Plan B.

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, Peppers90 NC said:
  • Cowboys have not played one snap of base defense through 3 games, They are a nickel defense (93% of defensive snaps) with 10 snaps of dime

• Cowboys high percentage cover 1 versus Eagles, It was their coverage foundation – Through 3 games only the Dolphins have played more 

smash mouth these fools. 

Cover 1 can actually be tough to run against because it allows 8 men in the box.

It’s not necessarily your DB count that dictates your ability to stop the run but it can be your alignment.

Base with 2 deep safeties and 7 in the box or nickel wish single high safety with 8 in the box, which is easier to run against.

My guess is they load the box to stop the run and play man to try and take away the easy throws for Sam.  Look for them to try and force Sam into those intermediate routes.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Each week in the NFL is a unique challenge.  Rivera used the same tools to address each and every game.  When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 2

16 hours ago, OldhamA said:

If you look at how much his accuracy and footwork has improved in 3 months with Sean Ryan it's pretty evident that he was getting by on minimal coaching and talent whilst at USC and the NYJ. 

He just seems incredibly coachable

This. I was going to say much the same thing. I believe his ceiling is higher than people think. He's 24. Hasn't played QB very long. Has never been properly coached and he's learning a new system. The progress he's made in such a short time with this staff plus is general attitude leads me to believe that he could become a very good QB in a couple of years. 

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

I don’t think the rookies are close to being able to evaluate them. Lawrence’s season may look very close to Manning’s. Peyton led the league in interceptions (more than his TDs), a sub 60% completion, a pretty bad team and a lot of throwing. Not sold on Meyer at all either. That said, Wilson is not in a great spot and Fields has a terrible coach. Mac Jones might be the one in the best position to succeed but he needs time as well. I don’t know if Lance has even thrown a ball. Way too early.

I agree it's early,  but what do you think the Huddle would look like if Fields went for 350/3 last week?

Sam is playing better that I thought he could this season and this early. That said plenty for him to improve on and Greg is right like most times. Reminder than the OL is playing like late 20s level and Sam is still moving the ball along with getting a couple scores each game. 

Edited by Basbear

Yea first year in this system so unless a team is stupid enough to hire Brady as their HC we'll get to see him in this system for a little bit. He still has room and time to improve being only 24 he still has quite the cap to reach his ceiling quite frankly.

There is still something to worry about obvioulsy with the fumbles/fumble potential but also a lot of that is due to poo OL. If we had a top OL flaws like Darnolds don't manifest hardly at all so that is another obvious way to help him or any QB that we may get.

The OL is still poo so the fact that he isnt' a dumpster fire poo show is honestly remarkable and can give us lots to look forward to if we can hit on some OL talent.

I have a hard time respecting Cosells opinion just simply because he's been horribly wrong a bunch with QBs. He was pretty much one of the only guys out there breaking down football in the early 2000s but man when he said Cam wasn't going to be as good as Blaine Gabbert that was it for me.