• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A critique of Darnold through 4 games

LinvilleGorge

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

If you aren't gonna read you really should stop replying. You're just making yourself look bad. Not that you need any help doing that.

Your points in this thread are valid, but your constant negativity just gets tiresome. I don't see much point in whining about Sam Darnold when we're all already whining about the OL, D shitting the bed, coaching, etc. Are you ever happy? I mean honestly, we rolled to 3-0 and you were still a miserable fug in most of your posts. "3-0 is great but X, Y, Z." I'm enjoying the team play well, today was tough but we'll move on. Better to focus on the positives to take away from this game than get all upset about every tiny little negative that you can nitpick about. But you do you.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, WOW!! said:

Yes during a pandemic offseason with different weapons and a different qb... 

That's alot of different variables..

Kellen the OC for Dallas didn't looks so hot until a couple season with Dak right??

Bro, it was a problem last year.  It is a problem this year.  What other conclusion should I take?

And what?  Kellen Moore's first year as OC was 2019.  Dallas finished 6th in PPG.  Last year they were lighting up the NFL through the air until Dak got hurt.  So what are you talking about man?

Brady's red-zone play-calling and play-designs are 100% an issue right now.  We have the sample size of last year and 4 games this year to draw that conclusion from.  20 games is absolutely enough to say that it is an issue.

• Flames 1

Against the Jets, Sam's TT was 2.61 and he was sacked 1 time.
                   Today Sam's TT was 2.91 and he was sacked 5 times.

The OL is not great and looked BAD today, but Sam's longer TT isn't helping.  Dallas's DBs are better than any we have faced and that will make it difficult to get the ball out fast.

His average right now is 2.87.  That is longer than David Mills, Mac Jones, Justin Fields and Taylor Heinicke's averages.

If he could get back down to the Jets game TT of  2.61, he's in Wilson, Cousins, and Rogers territory.   Dak and Brady are at 2.51.

Edited by SBBlue

Just now, t96 said:

Your points in this thread are valid, but your constant negativity just gets tiresome. I don't see much point in whining about Sam Darnold when we're all already whining about the OL, D shitting the bed, coaching, etc. Are you ever happy? I mean honestly, we rolled to 3-0 and you were still a miserable fug in most of your posts. "3-0 is great but X, Y, Z." I'm enjoying the team play well, today was tough but we'll move on. Better to focus on the positives to take away from this game than get all upset about every tiny little negative that you can nitpick about. But you do you.

It wasn't negative. I said a lot of positive things. I had two specific critiques. He's slow to process in the pocket and he's inaccurate downfield. You can feel free to disagree and provide your own numbers and/or examples. Or you can just keep whining about other people having an opinion. Like you said, you do you.

2 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

We could also do a lot better. Like hire an OC with NFL experience. 

What OC candidates would you take over Joe Brady?

Some of ya'll gotta chill.  It is okay to criticize someone and also okay not to want to get rid of them.  Joe Brady (hopefully) will get better.  He's only 32.  That is a super young for an OC.  We definitely should not fire him.  If anything that would hurt Darnold more than help.  I was just pointing out a flaw that he has.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Mage said:

I'm all for Teddy slander, everyone knows that

But he got knocked out the game, so not really fair.

I didn't know that.  I didn't watch it.  I'll edit if I can.....

I took it out.

Edited by SBBlue

2 minutes ago, Mage said:

Bro, it was a problem last year.  It is a problem this year.  What other conclusion should I take?

And what?  Kellen Moore's first year as OC was 2019.  Dallas finished 6th in PPG.  Last year they were lighting up the NFL through the air until Dak got hurt.  So what are you talking about man?

Brady's red-zone play-calling and play-designs are 100% an issue right now.  We have the sample size of last year and 4 games this year to draw that conclusion from.  20 games is absolutely enough to say that it is an issue.

What do you think most other OCs would look like when given Bridgewater and Darnold at QB and some traffic cones for an OL?

Think about what a Shula-led offense would've looked like this year and last year.

• Pie 1

It’s something I brought up when we signed/traded for him. He was ranked dead last with a clean pocket when he was on the Jets. Its very strange. People chalked it up to “seeing ghosts” but I feel like it is a processing issue. I think there’s more of a chance that we have a KC Alex smith situation where the team around the qb is really good but we can’t seem to make that next jump. 

I said in another thread those that are expecting the oline to get fixed in one draft/off-season are fooling themselves. We obviously have to address this oline and upgrade as best we can but most nfl fanbases bitch about their olines. There is a lack of talent in that position and 99% of those teams that do get lucky do not trade them away. You have to have a very cerebral qb, a freakish athlete or a combo of both (rare) to negate that talent deficiency. Brady’s scheme helps a ton but can only go so far. The hope is he gets better in this system and I hope he does! I like Sam a lot. And he obviously has talent. But if I had to guess, we should be drafting a qb in the first round in the next couple of years.

Edited by TheRumGone
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

What do you think most other OCs would look like when given Bridgewater and Darnold at QB and some traffic cones for an OL?

Think about what a Shula-led offense would've looked like this year and last year.

And I get that argument, but it isn't like getting into the red-zone has been a huge issue for us the last two years.  Our passing game is clearly much worse in the red-zone than it is elsewhere.  Does some of that have to do with the OL?  Yes.  Does some of that have to do with personnel?  Yes.  But we can't act like Brady is innocent through it all too.

5 minutes ago, Mage said:

What OC candidates would you take over Joe Brady?

Some of ya'll gotta chill.  It is okay to criticize someone and also okay not to want to get rid of them.  Joe Brady (hopefully) will get better.  He's only 32.  That is a super young for an OC.  We definitely should not fire him.  If anything that would hurt Darnold more than help.  I was just pointing out a flaw that he has.

He had a full season and an offseason to get his crap together. 
I don’t give a crap that he is 32. He isn’t new to being an OC anymore. He should of had this crap figured out. But he hasn’t and it seems to be not getting any better. 
Also to answer your question. That Lions coach we hired is supposedly the guy we plan to promote to OC once Brady inevitably leaves. 
He cannot be much worse in the redzone then Brady’s sorry excuse for redzone offense has been. 

4 minutes ago, Mage said:

And I get that argument, but it isn't like getting into the red-zone has been a huge issue for us the last two years.  Our passing game is clearly much worse in the red-zone than it is elsewhere.  Does some of that have to do with the OL?  Yes.  Does some of that have to do with personnel?  Yes.  But we can't act like Brady is innocent through it all too.

Brady has only been here for two years though. Yeah, passing gets tougher in the redzone. The field shrinks and the D has a lot less turf to cover.