• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold’s Upside

HardcoreHokie

25 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

The only social media account he has is Instagram, not a guy who spends time with his phone in his face…..think he cares what members of a message board say?  CMC said, he’s a regular guy, hangs out with teammates, and he made it a point to say that he treats them all with respect, does not place himself above them as the QB….wonder why he said that?

Sam has his circle of friends he’s had since grade school, he keeps them close, broke up with his college girlfriend before the draft because he didn’t want distractions.  How many guys do that?  Like all his teammates say,  former and present, he’s all about ball.

If you can come out of NY, with your confidence in tact, no sulking or saying stupid things, remain very coachable….you don’t have to be coddled, you’re a man.  

He also didn't want to give away his paycheck either.  😏

7 hours ago, 1usctrojan said:

How can a player be “babied” who refuses to make excuses for himself, and takes all the blame, never his teammates or coaches?  Even in that NY hellhole?

Don’t make him sound soft and coddled, when he’s anything but.   

That is not what was said. This is what I was referring to though. If fans can't even talk about things for him to work on without you all up in your feels it's just cringy. Like I said in another thread. Cam fan vibes.

8 minutes ago, frankw said:

That is not what was said. This is what I was referring to though. If fans can't even talk about things for him to work on without you all up in your feels it's just cringy. Like I said in another thread. Cam fan vibes.

Critique is good…very good, but if you can’t understand why questioning a players manhood, and character as “babied”, I don’t know what to tell you.  People dump on Linville, yet he hasn’t dumped on Sams’ character, his critique is performance based.  

You’ve had QBs here before who didn’t take responsibility for their performance, blaming others, or sulking like a petulant little girl during a press conference after a loss.  

11 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

Critique is good…very good, but if you can’t understand why questioning a players manhood, and character as “babied”, I don’t know what to tell you.  People dump on Linville, yet he hasn’t dumped on Sams’ character, his critique is performance based.  

You’ve had QBs here before who didn’t take responsibility for their performance, blaming others, or sulking like a petulant little girl during a press conference after a loss.  

Oh my goodness nobody said anything about him as a man it was in reference to fans being emotional about discussion around him as our quarterback. Like this one right here. I've been complimentary and very fair to Sam even with some key turnovers bc the other positives he has brought to the table have impressed me. I don't know which quarterback you are referring to about not taking responsibility or blaming others but the sulking and press conference comments are not helping your case here fella.

12 minutes ago, frankw said:

Thoughts on today's game?

The offense looked bad.

Sam clearly had a bad game.  His first two ints were on 2nd down, the last one on 1st down.  These weren't calculated risk throws where he had to make THAT throw, it was just bad play.  You don't win games with 3 ints. 

Sam's time to throw has now reached a 3 full seconds.  No OL in the league holds the pocket that long.  His time to throw is on a clear trendline up.  Sam's average for the year so far is 2.9s.  Teddy's average for the entire year last year was 2.3s.  That's more than half a second longer that the line has to hold.  That's just not going to work. 

Receivers had a bad game.  Robbie had a bad game with his drops.  Even Tremble had a drop today.

OL gave up 3 sacks and  8 qb hits and there were a lot of hurries. This is the first time Moton played LT with BC at RT in regular season game.  Daley didn't get as much help this time, and gave up at least 1 of the sacks and a few of the other pressures.  Brady Christiansen, for a rookie's first time out at RT, which he didn't play in college, was not the worst on the line.  His one penalty I think was bs. Once again, no line in the NFL holds the pocket for a full 3 seconds which is how long Darnold is holding onto the ball.

In the end, Sam had chance with the ball and time on the clock to drive for the touchdown and win.  It would have solidified his support in the fandom and been an omen for things to come.  He threw an int on 1st down.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

The offense looked bad.

Sam clearly had a bad game.  His first two ints were on 2nd down, the last one on 1st down.  These weren't calculated risk throws where he had to make THAT throw, it was just bad play.  You don't win games with 3 ints. 

Sam's time to throw has now reached a 3 full seconds.  No OL in the league holds the pocket that long.  His time to throw is on a clear trendline up.  Sam's average for the year so far is 2.9s.  Teddy's average for the entire year last year was 2.3s.  That's more than half a second longer that the line has to hold.  That's just not going to work. 

Receivers had a bad game.  Robbie had a bad game with his drops.  Even Tremble had a drop today.

OL gave up 3 sacks and  8 qb hits and there were a lot of hurries. This is the first time Moton played LT with BC at RT in regular season game.  Daley didn't get as much help this time, and gave up at least 1 of the sacks and a few of the other pressures.  Brady Christiansen, for a rookie's first time out at RT, which he didn't play in college, was not the worst on the line.  His one penalty I think was bs. Once again, no line in the NFL holds the pocket for a full 3 seconds which is how long Darnold is holding onto the ball.

In the end, Sam had chance with the ball and time on the clock to drive for the touchdown and win.  It would have solidified his support in the fandom and been an omen for things to come.  He threw an int on 1st down.

I don't think this is the end for Sam but Joe Brady has to be smarter with his qb when he knows the middle of the oline is putrid. Chuba stepped up today. Our qb and the receivers seemed out of sync and sadly by the fourth quarter Darnold just didn't look comfortable or confident and thus the final nail in the coffin as it were. I think the days of celebrating us stacking our defense with corners or whatever are over for the time being we need help on offense badly or this season is effectively toast and that is on our head coach and our gm.

Edited by frankw

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

I don't think this is the end for Sam but Joe Brady has to be smarter with his qb when he knows the middle of the oline is putrid. Chuba stepped up today. Our qb and the receivers seemed out of sync and sadly by the fourth quarter Darnold just didn't look comfortable or confident and thus the final nail in the coffin as it were. I think the days of celebrating us stacking our defense with corners or whatever are over for the time being we need help on offense badly or this season is effectively toast and that is on our head coach and our gm.

I agree that Chubba did well, now for a 2nd week.  He was a good draft.

I agree that the QB and receivers are out of sync, and from what I saw, the whole offense looked out of sorts on that last drive.  They need to go in there with the attitude, "now's our chance to be heroes", instead they looked sheepish.  Sam needs to change the energy in the huddle in that situation.

I'm not against help on offense.   I don't see us replacing Darnold, Moore, Robbie, Marshal, Thomas, or Tremble, and the WR/QB connection is half the problem.  3 seconds is just too long.

Sure it be great to trade for a great OL and if one comes up, cool.   

I just wonder what the OL and the offense would look like if Sam got the ball out in 2.6 seconds.