• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Monday's presser: Double down on Foxball

trueblade

3 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

"I think I made the right decision yesterday, it wasn't good enough. WHen you're the starting QB it has to be good enough"

durr zomg he's coddling darnold.

He knows exactly what the problem is he's just not coming right out sand saying it. Is he completely uncommitted to both Darnold and Brady in that presser.

13 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Even Fox, Ryan and Fisher had most of their success in an NFL where you could win games 17-14. The problem with winning games 17-14 is your margin for error is so small, you can easily lose them 14-17. But in today's NFL, your defense is actually doing well to keep the other team under 20. Your offense has to be able score 20+ points a game to be competitive.

Great point. Holding a team to 20 is quite and accomplishment these days. But as you pointed out you've got score more than 20 to even win those games.

Right now, I''d like to see Rhule address the 3rd quarter scoring issues that have plagued the team for the past eleven games. If the offense has only scored 17 points in the 3rd over that period it just isn't going to cut it, no matter how well you run the ball, protect the ball, and/or play defense.

Edited by SCO96
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, CanePantherHornet said:

He knows exactly what the problem is he's just not coming right out sand saying it. Is he completely uncommitted to both Darnold and Brady in that presser.

Yea the biggest take away from that should be the Brady remarks.

• Pie 1

I don't believe we have an elite defense... Good, yes, definitely... But not good enough to win very low scoring games... Maybe when everyone is healthy, but... A bad offense (which is what Rhule is asking for) isn't going to be enough.  We saw that against a decent but not good Minnesota team.

26 minutes ago, trueblade said:

you can't have a horrible run blocking OL....and then want to play smash mouth football.  All you do is what you have done over and over.  Have zero offense.  Hang your D out to try quarter after quarter. 

you are forced into a pass/run balance Matt beause your team can't do either well.  So you need whatever edge not being preditable has.   And you passed on almost every 3rd and short you saw Sunday.  3rd and 2 over and over and you kept passing on it. 

• Pie 3

24 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

The above quote speaks volumes about how much faith Matt Rhule has in his newly acquired QB. How can anyone in today's NFL really believe running the football and playing tough defense is formula for sustained success? John Fox, Rex Ryan, Jeff Fisher all had similiar philosophies and none of the above could ever put winners on the field year in and year out. They could win games...but not championships...which should be the ultimate goal.

I think it's the offense as a whole right now...

Oline not good enough to consistently let Routes develop in the passing game or open holes in the running game..

Qb can't read defenses and isn't accurate..

Wr got the yheps on catching the ball...

At this point you can't trust any position group on offense at all..

• Beer 1

I'll admit to not watching the games as closely as I did at the start of the season. The four game skid has definitely dampened my interest. But, it still seems like we should be able to add some new wrinkles to make it easier on Darnold. 

1) I think screen passes to backs (if they can catch them) could slow down the pass rush.

2) Draw plays could get out rush numbers up and keep the defense honest.

3) I haven't seen a lot of crossing routes,  which can be hard to defend against man coverage.

4) A flea flicker or reverse pass might be able to fool the defense long enough to get someone behind the defense for a big play.

5) Half back option pass (Hey it worked for Derrick Henry yesterday)

6) Pass the ball to Darnold like the Giants did with Jones yesterday.

Try to scheme the TE open more often. If those guys became passing threats it would open things up on the outside.

I think if we could get Sam involved in a couple of explosive plays  it could improve his confidence and the teams moral and possibly turn things around for the rest of the way. 

10 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I don't believe we have an elite defense... Good, yes, definitely... But not good enough to win very low scoring games... Maybe when everyone is healthy, but... A bad offense (which is what Rhule is asking for) isn't going to be enough.  We saw that against a decent but not good Minnesota team.

I don't think you can count on a "low scoring game" in today's NFL, so that's not a standard any D should be held to in order to be considered elite.

I can't think of another squad that could go out and give that much effort when they're on the field for 35 minutes, and just have time to get a breather while the offense goes 3-and-out.

His constant attention to and scrutiny of the defense in these pressers is actually pretty telling. It shows that's what he actually cares about, i.e. it's the unit he's actually planning to build around next year. This offense, this scheme, this coordinator, and these personnel are largely going to be swapped out this off-season and he knows it. So what Rhule cares about for the rest of the season is making sure the defense is playoff caliber, so he can focus all his attention to the offense next year.

Edited by Captroop

20 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

"I think I made the right decision yesterday, it wasn't good enough. WHen you're the starting QB it has to be good enough"

durr zomg he's coddling darnold.

moments after the game he quickly made it known Darnold was starting next week and every game after that.    That it wasn't an actual benching.   He didn't want people to think that. 

Sounds pretty coddling to me.   

• Pie 2