• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Third system in three years for Cam.

panthers55

One thing that I havent seen mentioned is how much we try and fit Cam to the system versus fit the system to what Cam does best. We are running mostly West Coast concepts with quick timing  passes and throwing receivers open on crossing routes. Use your running backs like receivers. 

Last year Cam played for New England and their Erhart Perkins offense which stressed more horizontal passing while with Carolina we ran a lot of a Coryell play action passing and lots of running for a number of years. 

So what system best fits Cam and how do you adapt our offense to what Cam does best. And will it be hard for Cam to pick things up right away?

• Pie 2

at this stage in his career and for all the faults of his we know, and the oline, stick with the short and intermediate passes and feed CMC

at the same time, don’t restrict cam, we have all see Rivera do it time and time again the beginning of the season trying to use cam the wrong way only to take off the leash out of desperation later on and wouldn’t you know it, cam thrived

you also keep running cam, it’s what makes him special and what makes him more than an average qb

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Ngl, I was surprised by the plays they were able to get to him and how the team was able to execute them almost flawlessly.

read option probably would be the best system still, but I think cam has displayed he is flexible enough to sit in the pocket and make throws, I’ll admit, one of his big knocks is he’s not a good anticipatory thrower in most cases. I just wouldn’t  run him into the ground, hopefully an increase role for cam=reduce touches for CMC 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Ngl, I was surprised by the plays they were able to get to him and how the team was able to execute them almost flawlessly.

read option probably would be the best system still, but I think cam has displayed he is flexible enough to sit in the pocket and make throws, I’ll admit, one of his big knocks is he’s not a good anticipatory thrower in most cases. I just wouldn’t  run him into the ground, hopefully an increase role for cam=reduce touches for CMC 

He’s gonna have to make some anticipatory throws with this oline. Gonna have to throw receivers open. Also brady WAS scheming receivers wide ass open consistently Sam was just awful. Gotta remember this oline is not good and cams gonna have to get the ball out of his hands quick at times. I’m still imagining heavy read option. This offense needs to be a running team especially with this defense. That should be our identity and cam brings a new wrinkle to that. Run the poo outta the ball to set up play action, bootlegs, get the ball out of cams hands quick to our playmakers. We’ll see how cams shoulder holds up but while people were freaking out about an “under thrown” deep ball to DJ I was just happy he can give our receivers chances to go up and make plays. That’s all we need. Sam couldn’t even give receivers chances to make plays down field. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

All these folks wanting to see Cam run a bunch of read option have clearly forgotten that this is a QB who hasn't had a fully healthy season since 2015.  I think you run just enough read option to force defenses to account for it, but not enough that Cam is getting hit.  You need to bubble wrap the only QB on your roster who has won significant games in the NFL, not subject him to a bunch of hits that other players could take.

You don't scheme to Cam, you scheme to your team.  We have good players in the skill positions and less talent in the line.  This is not the 2015 team where Cam has to carry us.  Cam just has to get us in the right play and distribute the ball to a very talented supporting cast.

• Pie 5
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, BrianS said:

All these folks wanting to see Cam run a bunch of read option have clearly forgotten that this is a QB who hasn't had a fully healthy season since 2015.  I think you run just enough read option to force defenses to account for it, but not enough that Cam is getting hit.  You need to bubble wrap the only QB on your roster who has won significant games in the NFL, not subject him to a bunch of hits that other players could take.

You don't scheme to Cam, you scheme to your team.  We have good players in the skill positions and less talent in the line.  This is not the 2015 team where Cam has to carry us.  Cam just has to get us in the right play and distribute the ball to a very talented supporting cast.

Running heavy read option doesn’t mean cam gets hit. There are 3 options, handoff to the rb, throw or run the qb. Cam doesn’t have to take hits doing that. He just has to run enough to stress the defense to account for it. Pj was running some read option in the cardinals game. It’s just an extra element defenses have to account for. Pulls the linebackers in. This is what I’m expecting at first until cam gets the rust off more. We need to be a running team. That should be our identity on offense imo with the defense that we have. And whatever that poster above me said we can absolutely run play action and bootlegs with this line if we are running the ball well. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Patriots haven’t run a true Erhart offense in years, and last year with Cam they rarely threw deep.

Cam’s best offense has always been fast pace, no huddle which Rivera hated.

Can you imagine trying to throw deep consistently with Damiere Byrd and N'keal Harry as your outside WRs? Yikes

Edited by Mr Mojo Risin
  • Flames 1

45 minutes ago, BrianS said:

In terms of his football body, Cam’s last healthy season was really 2020.  And they ran the heck out of him.   Cam was run harder last season than any of his career.   

Yes, he was quarantined with a virus during a pandemic for one game.  That’s not an example of his body not holding up to a football season.  

31 minutes ago, CRA said:

In terms of his football body, Cam’s last healthy season was really 2020.  And they ran the heck out of him.   Cam was run harder last season than any of his career.   

Yes, he was quarantined with a virus during a pandemic for one game.  That’s not an example of his body not holding up to a football season.  

You're missing the point.

We have one QB on our roster who is demonstrably capable of being an actual NFL winner.  Is that the guy you want taking unnecessary hits?  I DON'T.

How long do RB's last in the NFL?  Most don't make it much past 30.  Cam is 32.  I just cannot comprehend how people don't see that Cam's value to our franchise goes so far beyond a few runs per game.  Do we just not believe in Cam's ability to complete a pass?

Cam is a more rounded passer now than he was in 2015.  No, he can't make those amazing 60 yard bombs off his back foot.  But he can anticipate much better.  He has a touch now that he never had before.  He's learned that checking the ball down can be a great play.  He can read a defense more reliably.

I'm way more interested in seeing Cam extend his career by another 2-4 years by becoming a more complete QB than seeing him run the read option for this year and maybe part of next.  We have a defense that is playoff ready, right now.  We have skill players.  All we lack is some talent on the OLine.  It's a real possibility that we become consistent contenders in the next couple years.

If we have an actual NFL QB on the roster who is healthy.

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, BrianS said:

You're missing the point.

We have one QB on our roster who is demonstrably capable of being an actual NFL winner.  Is that the guy you want taking unnecessary hits?  I DON'T.

How long do RB's last in the NFL?  Most don't make it much past 30.  Cam is 32.  I just cannot comprehend how people don't see that Cam's value to our franchise goes so far beyond a few runs per game.  Do we just not believe in Cam's ability to complete a pass?

Cam is a more rounded passer now than he was in 2015.  No, he can't make those amazing 60 yard bombs off his back foot.  But he can anticipate much better.  He has a touch now that he never had before.  He's learned that checking the ball down can be a great play.  He can read a defense more reliably.

I'm way more interested in seeing Cam extend his career by another 2-4 years by becoming a more complete QB than seeing him run the read option for this year and maybe part of next.  We have a defense that is playoff ready, right now.  We have skill players.  All we lack is some talent on the OLine.  It's a real possibility that we become consistent contenders in the next couple years.

If we have an actual NFL QB on the roster who is healthy.

Yeah, I was one of the first people to support Cam coming to Carolina.  Way before it was trendy.   My view then is my view now.  Nothing has changed.   It was a conditional.   If you have Cam Newton.  Then you let Cam do what makes Cam special.   You let a lion roar.    Otherwise, he isn’t special and then what’s the point. 

You let Cam be Cam.  That’s how he could save our season.  No point in neutering him.  And given how late he is coming in you absolutely have to run him. 

and his entire career, I’ve been more worried about him getting hurt in the pocket than running.  

• Beer 2