• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Did Rhule ever answer post game?

CRA

13 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Unless you're gonna go for 2 both times to win in regulation, I don't understand the advantage of going for 2 earlier.  If you're still going to kick the XP to tie the game later, you're just losing earlier if you miss the 2 PT.  There wasn't enough time to make up for the missed conversion in this situation.

yep.  We scored that TD with 3 minutes remaining. 

the argument set out above in the article is if you are down 15 in the middle of the 4th quarter.  Which is more than twice the time we had.  You have time to deal with the consequences of not converting.  A bad Panther offense doesn’t have the time to deal with not converting with 3 minutes on the clock and needing two scores. 

• Pie 6

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

yep.  We scored that TD with 3 minutes remaining. 

the argument set out above in the article is if you are down 15 in the middle of the 4th quarter.  Which is more than twice the time we had.  You have time to deal with the consequences of not converting.  A bad Panther offense doesn’t have the time to deal with not converting. 

I originally disagreed with you, but you are right, there were only 3 minutes left. Realistically it didn't matter one way or the other at that point whether we went for two then or later, but if it were the middle of the 4th you would DEFINITELY have more time to strategize if you don't convert and still give the team a chance to win. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I originally disagreed with you, but you are right, there were only 3 minutes left. Realistically it didn't matter one way or the other at that point whether we went for two then or later, but if it were the middle of the 4th you would DEFINITELY have more time to strategize if you don't convert and still give the team a chance to win. 

8 minutes left and 3 minutes are just two completely different scenarios.   

I would support going for 2 in other scenarios outside of the one we found ourselves in today. 

• Pie 1

48 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

Thats literally zero logic lmaooo

you have to get the 2 point regardless whether its after the first TD or the second TD If you wait till the second TD and dont get the 2 the games over if you try after the first and dont get it at least then you can onside or try to get a stop depending on how much time is left. Anyone with any sort of football knowledge will tell you the same thing 

I don't get this reasoning at all. The extra point was the right way to go. You needed 15 points to tie so you had to have two TDs an extra point , and a 2 pt conversion. 

Get the 7 points. Then if the defense makes a stop you have a chance to tie with a TD and 2pt conversion. You don't have to attempt an inside kick which statically you have very little chance of recovering.

If you go for the 2pt conversion and miss, then you hope you recover an onside kick. Score a TD and an extra point (or 2 pt conversion) and then get the ball again to have one last shot. Instead of needing 2 TDs to win , you now need 2 Tds, an onside kick recovery, and a 3rd score to win. 

You may could try that at the start of the  4th quarter because you'd have 15 minutes. We had a lot less time than that. The team had struggled all day. I'm glad we had to get the extra point because we at least had a shot going down the home stretch.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, KillaCamNewton said:

I cant believe hes even arguing this

That's if you are in the middle of the 4th, not with just 3 minutes left in the game. If you don't make it, you still are down 2 scores with less than 3 minutes left. Nothing of what you said would still give us a chance. It was either not make it then and lose or not make it later and lose. 

Actually if you kick the XP then, you still have a chance of a fumble on the kickoff or the defense forcing a turnover when the opponent takes over. Maybe even scoring. So really doing what you are suggesting is really stupid because it would kill all of our chances if we didn't make it the first time.

Edited by KillerKat
  • Pie 1

9 hours ago, KillaCamNewton said:

Lol okay man youre right a bunch of people on a message board know the analytics and situational strategy than a coach that gets paid 70 million dollars to make those decisions. 

Matt Rhule punted from the opponents 30 this year.  That’s what your 70 million dollars gets you.