• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The only reason not to fire Rhule is money. Pure and simple.

hepcat

6 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Dave Tepper routinely makes more/loses more money in a day than what the remaining 5 years on Rhules' contract would cost him.  Chances are he could write most of Matt's contract off as a business loss.

The only thing holding back Dave Tepper from firing Rhule at this point is either his pride or Dave is actually buying into Matt's "It's 1000 percent happening, but invisible to everyone but me" speech.

Matt is successfully(so far) running a variation of the emperor has no clothes scam.

Rhule always seems to make the jump in this third year. The issue I’ve always contended is that was college. His track record against top shelf college teams was poor at best. 

The difference I see here is he isn’t taking some floundering college team with no recruits and turning them around over two years with his program. His talent evaluation ceiling, at least that this point, seems to be where it was in college. His general coaching/scheme seems abysmal at the pro level. And he’s not playing generally worse teams 95% of the games. 

Last year there was a lot of leeway due to how things were handled surrounding the pandemic. This year it doesn’t seem like there has been any “on the field” improvements. I’d go so far as to say with all combined factors, this year was easily a major regression. 

I understand Tepper may have bought the three year pitch. As showcased by Teppers letter to the fans saying give us 2-3 years. I simply do no feel like Rhule can translate his college success to the pros at this point in his career.

Who knows maybe he will soul search this off-season and Tepper will give him a third strike but the fans will have to be given a very large carrot for that to make any sense.

Again, it’s comparing apples to oranges in a way, but in hockey a lot of time a premiere Stanley cup winning coach will be fired or resign mid season, simply because there is so much public pushback and the players simply need a different coach or voice behind the bench. It’s nothing against the current coach, it’s not speaking any less of them, it’s just sometimes they aren’t meshing with the situation. 

I think the only thing hold Tepper back currently is the fact he doesn’t think the team would do any better this year if Rhules assistants were promoted, that or he’d worry they’d all quit in solidarity with Rhule. 

After the season though will be a different story. 

• Pie 2

Just like keeping Darnope because of his guaranteed money next year it doesn't matter, that money was always wasted at the moment the decision was made. Both can be moved on from because 'using already comited to money' (not saving) vs trying to be competitive without their deadweight is the conversation. With both its easy to see the second path is the correct way to go.

We will see. It's time to see what Tepper is doing with the Panthers. Clean up the mess or show he is an idiot owner with a crap product not worth spending time an money on.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

If Tepper acted the way you want him to in the hedge fund world, he'd be a thousandaire. 

You cut your losses and move on. Unless you are just a fuging idiot. 

Yea sometimes a bad investment just keeps losing you more money than if you cut the loss and reinvest somewhere else

• Beer 1

34 minutes ago, Shocker said:

“Be careful what you wish for”

Firing Rhule doesn’t mean the next guy won’t be worse

If you get worse than Rhule, there is no hope anyway because that means we have a terrible owner. This may end up being the case but sticking with a head coach who his so obviously bad at his job is also another sign of a bad owner.

The options are basically,

1. Fire Rhule and get a better coach.

2. Keep Rhule and stay bad.

3. Fire Rhule and get a worse coach.

There is no fourth option for keeping Rhule and getting better. That is literally not gonna happen.

3 hours ago, Harbingers said:

Rhule always seems to make the jump in this third year. The issue I’ve always contended is that was college. His track record against top shelf college teams was poor at best. 

The difference I see here is he isn’t taking some floundering college team with no recruits and turning them around over two years with his program. His talent evaluation ceiling, at least that this point, seems to be where it was in college. His general coaching/scheme seems abysmal at the pro level. And he’s not playing generally worse teams 95% of the games. 

Last year there was a lot of leeway due to how things were handled surrounding the pandemic. This year it doesn’t seem like there has been any “on the field” improvements. I’d go so far as to say with all combined factors, this year was easily a major regression. 

I understand Tepper may have bought the three year pitch. As showcased by Teppers letter to the fans saying give us 2-3 years. I simply do no feel like Rhule can translate his college success to the pros at this point in his career.

Who knows maybe he will soul search this off-season and Tepper will give him a third strike but the fans will have to be given a very large carrot for that to make any sense.

Again, it’s comparing apples to oranges in a way, but in hockey a lot of time a premiere Stanley cup winning coach will be fired or resign mid season, simply because there is so much public pushback and the players simply need a different coach or voice behind the bench. It’s nothing against the current coach, it’s not speaking any less of them, it’s just sometimes they aren’t meshing with the situation. 

I think the only thing hold Tepper back currently is the fact he doesn’t think the team would do any better this year if Rhules assistants were promoted, that or he’d worry they’d all quit in solidarity with Rhule. 

After the season though will be a different story. 

Not to mention he has already broken that track record in the NFL because we went from bad to worse in year two. That never happened to him in college. There is no visible sign of improvement or progression. Quite the opposite.

Money isn't and won't be the issue.

Ego is, and will continue to be.

I don't think Dave want's to look this stupid in front of all his "owner buddies" next time in Miami.

I'm assuming that most of the owners and GM's smiled and told Dave "bless your heart" when he hired Rhule...knowing the likely outcome.

10 hours ago, hepcat said:

The team isn’t improving. They have gotten worse as the season has gone along. 

The team is getting destroyed every game and will end the season on a 7 game losing streak. 

The players have given up. They were even quitting early in the season! (See Giants game)

Tepper fired Rivera for far less than what Rhule has not accomplished. The team is worse now than in 2019 before they fired Rivera. 

The only reason not to erase this failure from our memories is the absolutely ridiculous and dumb 7 year contract Tepper gave to Rhule. What is it with this team dishing out guaranteed money to unproven guys?? Darnold gets his $19m option picked up after 3 seasons of being the worst QB in the NFL! Rhule gets a top 10 highest paid coaching salary with 1 year of NFL experience!

This team is seriously a clown show. If they don’t clean it up and stop embarrassing us with clown show decisions there won’t be many fans left in a few years when the clown car finally reaches the threshold of hell.

When i initially saw 7 years, im like we are stuck for at least five no matter what. Or tepper has so much fug you money we turn into a revolving door until something sticks

2 hours ago, thefuzz said:

Money isn't and won't be the issue.

Ego is, and will continue to be.

I don't think Dave want's to look this stupid in front of all his "owner buddies" next time in Miami.

Which makes you look dumber?

Firing the guy you never should have hired in the first place early or hanging on to him for another year of terrible football just to protect your ego?

Edited by Mr. Scot

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Which makes you look dumber?

Firing the guy you never should have hired in the first place early or hanging on to him for another year of terrible football just to protect your ego?

One you can explain away as "not being a meddling owner", the other is very tough to overcome...it's just an outright admission of failure.

When there has been a choice to be made, Dave Tepper has made the wrong one each and every time.