• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rank the 2022 QB Draft Class

*FreeFua*

11 hours ago, Newbie said:

If Rhule is here I’d rather stay where we are and pick the best o-lineman. Rhule will pick a quarterback at 6/7 of course to try and save his job. 

That's what I'm fearful of.  And then, when the Panthers have another 5 win season in 2022, Rhule says "My rookie QB is making great strides even if you can't see them.  Give me another year or two to keep developing him and he'll be great."  

Rinse and repeat 

• Flames 1

Good article here: https://abc11.com/sports/meet-the-2022-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-stats-background-and-analysi/11396852/

On Corral:

Scouts love to see Corral's competitive nature, but he also will need to learn how to protect himself in the open field. He frequently dips his shoulder and launches himself head-first into oncoming tacklers, and that could affect durability.

Corral, who led Ole Miss to itsfirst 10-win regular season in program history, has the charisma and competitive drive that is infectious across an entire locker room.

On Ridder:

If he plays well in the playoff and down in Mobile [at the Senior Bowl], I think he'll rise because he's super sharp."

Ridder's completion percentage has hovered around 65% over the past two seasons, but understanding the placement of passes allowing targets to gain yards after the catch is the next step in his development. As a four-year starter with 46 starts, he already has made monumental leaps as a passer and processor. He has a well-developed understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the schemes that he plays again, and he has few hiccups goingthrough different variations of reads.

I love Ridder's upside but deep and intermediate ball placement is so critical to stretch the field and it's been forever since we've had it.  

On Willis:

"This dude is so physically gifted, but it's so frustrating watching him," an NFC personnel director told me. "There's such a heavy mixture of good and bad, but the physical gifts are impossible to ignore. His surroundings aren't the best and it's clear that he's trying to overcome them, but it's resulted in him developing some very bad habits."

Because of his raw ability, scouts could be intrigued with Willis, but patience will be needed as he's far away from being a finished product.

Also illustrates why I love Strong so much:

Strong is a linear-built pocket passer with the arm to layer the ball to all areas of the field. He also has different ball speeds with which he can attack defenses. Of the quarterbacks in this draft class, he has the most maturity from a pre-snap perspective. Strong had full autonomy over setting and changing protections, orchestrating hot routes and audibiling out of plays. On tape, you frequently see him communicating to all 10 of his teammates and placing them in advantageous situations. He has a calming presence in the pocket and a natural feel of how to navigate within it in order to get off throws.

I think a lot goes back to what team's look at with readiness.  Would you prefer an athletic guy with more of a curve in his passing game and mechanics? Or a guy that has it all in the passing game minus the more optimal athleticism they seek these days?

I just think Pickett and Strong have the best feel to a game's flow.  Corral has the most overall upside with intangibles+arm+athleticism.  

Depending on who develops them (and how) there could be a super good QB in this crop.  Just depends on the situation and growth.  I see it in Pickett, Corral, Strong, & Ridder the most.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I could see Strong going mid to late R1 to Pittsburgh or New Orleans and doing quite well off the bat.  Huge improvements for those teams (Big Ben is shot, NO has no QB but managed a respectable season).  If his knee checks and he lands in that type of situation, could end up producing like Mac Jones has (or dare I say even better).  Pittsburgh would be really interesting IMO. 

Could also see Detroit taking a gamble in R2 on a high upside QB like Willis or Ridder if they fall. 

Atlanta could be looking at a grooming-type situation behind Matty Melted-Ice R1.  That's a team I can see targeting Pickett or Howell; could be a lot like Arthur Smith had to work with in Tannehill in TEN.  They would need to target a bruiser at RB to compliment the young gun.

Puts us in a place where I think Corral could be our more ideal target with or without Rhule.  Has the agility/dual threat to make up for a bad OL if thrown in early.  Love the upside, the intelligence you hear, his competitive nature, locker room leadership.  Lot's of good intangibles, great arm.  Simply needs some polishing but I see him far ahead of the other "high upside" types in Ridder and Willis.

The Broncos, DC Redwolves, & Houston will be the ones to watch.  Would prefer to be picking ahead of them.    

• Pie 1

I'm a Carson Strong believer.  But I feel good about the potential of Corral.  Ithink Willis is a bust unless he goes to a great situation that allows him to grow and become more consistent.  Howell reminds me of Baker Mayfield, with better wheels like Mitch Seabiscuit.  I have no feelings about Ridder either way.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

14 hours ago, WOW!! said:

I will never trade a known commodity for a unknown one .. Especially when that known is still under 25 and our most consistent offensive weapon right now... No Qb in this draft is worth a pick and DJ Moore..

I get your point, but what if that known commodity wants WR1 money when he’s probably worth WR2 money?

Do you potentially overpay or build for the future? If we don’t think we can resign him, he should be traded as he’s worth more than a 3rd rd comp pick. 

2 hours ago, ECHornet said:

I get your point, but what if that known commodity wants WR1 money when he’s probably worth WR2 money?

Do you potentially overpay or build for the future? If we don’t think we can resign him, he should be traded as he’s worth more than a 3rd rd comp pick. 

I sorry I think He's a number 1 in a offense that has a RB getting as many targets as a number 1.. That is the issue for DJ but reality is at his age and production he will get number 1 money and right now our allocation for WR money fits paying him that..

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/robby-anderson-19352/

Robbie is making okay money but for only 2 more years so Paying DJ isn't killing our cap...

And again If this was last years QB draft or Herbert the year before.. I could see that being optional.. But this draft is meh with QB all with red flags and huge question marks.. I don't see the intelligence in trading your most consistent weapon who is still young and no where near his prime for a bunch of question marks and a pick..

Edited by WOW!!

4 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

I sorry I think He's a number 1 in a offense that has a RB getting as many targets as a number 1.. That is the issue for DJ but reality is at his age and production he will get number 1 money and right now our allocation for WR money fits paying him that..

Im not as sure. Only thing still giving me hope he’s a legit WR1 is the QB situation he’s had to endure. I don’t see him getting enough separation. 

On 12/30/2021 at 9:00 AM, NYPantherFan said:

I have, but he's one of the most physically gifted QBs in this draft. If I'm taking a QB in this draft, I'm taking the one with the most potential and developing him.

I agree with your take on  Malik Wilson. With good NFL coaching he will learn to override the big-play mentality he presently has.

Willis possesses borderline-ideal traits for a modern day, dual-threat NFL quarterback. He has the potential to be a game-changer at the next level, given time.

14 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

I agree with your take on  Malik Wilson. With good NFL coaching he will learn to override the big-play mentality he presently has.

Willis possesses borderline-ideal traits for a modern day, dual-threat NFL quarterback. He has the potential to be a game-changer at the next level, given time.

I think if Malik Willis went to a place like Buffalo and sat behind Josh Allen (another big armed, mobile QB) for a couple of years, he'd have the best career.  But if he has to start right away, he may have some issues in reading defenses and decision making.  As talented as Willis is, he only has 2 years of starting experience with numerous examples of ill-advised throws.  

• Pie 1

If we trade back and get a second rounder, and if you are OK with any of the top 5 QBs in round 2, that could be the move.  For example, if we could get Linderbaum (Sp?) C, Iowa and then grab Strong, that might be the move.  I still feel that MAYBE Christensen could prove that he has the foundation to play LT and then we could sign a G in free agency--line should be fixed with a stud C.

Look for Fitterer to shop for a QB in free agency.  I do not see ANY of the picks in this draft ready to start.  Can Darnold play better with protection?  May be our only option.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

I think if Malik Willis went to a place like Buffalo and sat behind Josh Allen (another big armed, mobile QB) for a couple of years, he'd have the best career.  But if he has to start right away, he may have some issues in reading defenses and decision making.  As talented as Willis is, he only has 2 years of starting experience with numerous examples of ill-advised throws.  

I agree that Malik Willis  has a lot of talent and upside potential .  If the selecting team gives him time to develop, they may be highly rewarded for it.

• Pie 1