• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ellis Williams (Observer) offense analysis

ladypanther

24 minutes ago, Newbie said:

He be a huge upgrade sadly enough. At least we’d have the interim coach figured out after Tepper fires Rhule mid-season. 

Jason Garrett is horrendous.  He is definitely not an upgrade over Joe Brady.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Mage said:

Jason Garrett is horrendous.  He is definitely not an upgrade over Joe Brady.

Joe Brady is gone dude. He got fired a few weeks ago. I was talking about Jason Garrett being better than Jeff Nixon. He’s our current OC. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Newbie said:

Joe Brady is gone dude. He got fired a few weeks ago. I was talking about Jason Garrett being better than Jeff Nixon. He’s our current OC. 

I wouldn't consider hiring a new OC that was worse than the one we had an upgrade though.  Doesn't really matter if and when he was fired.  We had him.  And we would have ultimately let him go just to bring in Jason Garrett the next year.  That is not an upgrade.

10 minutes ago, Mage said:

I wouldn't consider hiring a new OC that was worse than the one we had an upgrade though.  Doesn't really matter if and when he was fired.  We had him.  And we would have ultimately let him go just to bring in Jason Garrett the next year.  That is not an upgrade.

We just fired Brady and replaced him with Jeff Nixon. I wasn’t advocating that we hire Jason Garrett. I simply pointed out he’s an upgrade over Nixon. 

12 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

This is true, but it feels like the sort of thing Tepper would do. At least to me, it does.

That's why I said it's a lesson to learn. I just don't think he understands any of that stuff so he has to experience it.

After Collins JR changed the way he did QBs. After Carruth he looked at character. Hopefully Tepper GAF. 

• Pie 1

56 minutes ago, joemac said:

Still dont think we're set outside.  Brady is a nice little player, but hes not a franchise LT.  I think Rhule is actually correct here, and hes better suited for LG, with a mauler beside him like Neal or the guy from Georgia. 

I think you "might be correct in your assessment of BC", but we still don't know for sure.

He's only started 2 games at his natural position, and each game was against teams with strong pass rushes. Tampa won the SB last year, and the Saints shut them out 9-0 two weeks ago on a nationally televised game. The Saints have beat Brady and company 4 out of the last 5 times they've played...and would have beat them in the playoffs last season if Brees had been healthy. Considering who he played against, and the lack of starts at LT, I think Brady did "ok", not great, but "ok". 

If Rhule had allowed him to play most of the season at LT, we'd have a really good feel for what to do going forward. All that said, if we could get a top notch LT in the first round and put BC at LG, we could be set on our left side for the next several years. But, if we rolled with Brady next year and took the best interior lineman in the top 10, that would still be a major upgrade over this season's terrible O-line play.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

I think you "might be correct in your assessment of BC", but we still don't know for sure.

He's only started 2 games at his natural position, and each game was against teams with strong pass rushes. Tampa won the SB last year, and the Saints shut them out 9-0 two weeks ago on a nationally televised game. The Saints have beat Brady and company 4 out of the last 5 times they've played...and would have beat them in the playoffs last season if Brees had been healthy. Considering who he played against, and the lack of starts at LT, I think Brady did "ok", not great, but "ok". 

If Rhule had allowed him to play most of the season at LT, we'd have a really good feel for what to do going forward. All that said, if we could get a top notch LT in the first round and put BC at LG, we could be set on our left side for the next several years. But, if we rolled with Brady next year and took the best interior lineman in the top 10, that would still be a major upgrade over this season's terrible O-line play.

This also very well could be true, and I can see the argument being made for rolling with Brady at LT, possibly trading down some, and taking the top interior o linemen available in the middle of the first.  Perhaps the C from Iowa.  I am not up to speed much on the top college G prospects. 

• Pie 2

23 minutes ago, frankw said:

Everyone was all ready to throw Joe Brady in front of a speeding bus but if you were paying attention you should have already known how this would play out. This putrid offense has been running exactly the way Rhule has wanted it to.

I do agree with you for once.  Regardless of who the OC or QB is over the past 2 years, we have ran the exact same dink and dunk unbalanced offense.  Regardless if its run or pass the lbs and dbs know to play around the LoS.  There's no keeping the defense honest at all, they are fully allowed to sell out for the short stuff.

Edited by Tr3ach