• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OC Targets: O’Brien, Jay Gruden

BIGH2001

56 minutes ago, Mage said:

Also while yes, Kevin O'Connell would technically be a lateral move for him, he doesn't call the plays in LA due to McVay's presence.  That would be the incentive for him to leave the Rams and come here.  So suggesting we aren't targeting an "up-and-comer", when we clearly are, seems intentionally disingenuous.

I love the idea of bringing in someone who's learned under another great offensive mastermind.  But, again, I do think adding someone with HC-experience helps Rhule a lot.  So that would be the biggest slight against O'Connell in the context of this current coaching staff, which needs more pro experience. 

McVay is a smart dude.  I’m sure he would give his buddy some advice.  

he would come here and call plays for Sam Darnold and Rhule would fire him right before he gets fired.  I don’t see how coming to Carolina is attractive for a guy like him.  

I think we end up hiring some old and washed up playcaller on the backside of his career looking for a one year check.   Because that’s all this job is.  

2 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Both of these would be excellent as OCs.  Plenty of NFL experience and proven success as coordinators.  Gruden would be my choice of the two, but I’ll take either.

Fan of Gruden as OC.  But not so much BOB.  I really don't see his personality clashing well with Rhule.  That is my biggest concern, by far.

And despite having Watson for some seasons, the only time as a play-caller his offense has ever been top 10 in either points or yards was 2011, when he had Brady, Gronk, Hernandez, and Welker.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

he would come here and call plays for Sam Darnold and Rhule would fire him right before he gets fired.  I don’t see how coming to Carolina is attractive for a guy like him.  

I think we end up hiring some old and washed up playcaller on the backside of his career looking for a one year check.   Because that’s all this job is.  

Probably gonna be Jason Garrett

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

I do agree that we are not an attractive place to come to.  But it is still very misleading to suggest we aren't going after a rising star in the coaching ranks, when O'Connell is exactly that.  It is possible to both acknowledge that he is a good, or at the very least attractive, candidate, and also that we are not an desirable destination.

I think out of all 3 names, Jay Gruden is the most likely candidate considering he's out of a job.  I seriously doubt BOB would come here, for a multitude of reasons.  I think he only leaves Alabama for a HC position in the NFL, unless we're going to pay him a big bag.  

O'Connell wouldn't surprise me though.  He's never going to call the plays in LA while McVay is there.  So at some point he's going to leave to go somewhere that he can, because that is what will position him for a HC more than anything.

And there has been a LOT of success recently w/ young, back-up QBs turned offensive coordinators.  

Edited by Mage

This post is probably better suited here as this is the more active thread:

I'm gonna be honest and objective about this. Look at the situation. We have a college coach who has won 10 games in two seasons. He is expected to go into next season on the hottest seat in the league. We are flailing at QB with terrible moves that are hamstringing both our draft capital and our cap space and are almost certainly poised to make another one of those moves in the near future. We have no OL. We have some nice weapons at WR and arguably the best all-around (yet injury plagued) RB in the NFL, but we reportedly plan on shopping him.

If I was a legit candidate, why would I even consider this gig, especially if I'm a former HC with likely a plethora of NFL connections?

Honestly, the only real answer I'm coming up with is that I already have one foot out the door of coaching and I'm looking to fleece Tepper out of a retirement check to buy another vacation home and a fishing boat. The best "positive" answer I can come up with is that I figure Rhule is certain to get fired because he's not cut out for the NFL and I think I can get an audition as the HC if Rhule gets fired mid-season.

Tepper may be brilliant in the world of finance, but he's probably the biggest sucker in football right now and the word is out.

2 hours ago, CmC2k said:

Will the new OC have the power to bring in some of their own coaches? My guess is no and that's why no one with any other options is going to take this job. 

This.  As long as Rhule has the final say on how this team is run, "Wrong Way" Tepper is doing nothing more than rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

This.  As long as Rhule has the final say on how this team is run, "Wrong Way" Tepper is doing nothing more than rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Tepper still thinks he's trying to keep the Titanic afloat, meanwhile the Titanic is currently already halfway to the bottom of the north Atlantic and just split in half.

• Pie 1

51 minutes ago, NYPantherFan said:

Anthony Lynn is expected to become available after today's games. He should get some consideration in my opinion. I'd take him over Garrett and BOB I think.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/09/lions-anthony-lynn-are-expected-to-part-ways-after-season-finale/

According to profootball talk and several other outlets you are right. I former coach and NFL player. We could definitely do worse.

Edited by Michael G

29 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This post is probably better suited here as this is the more active thread:

I'm gonna be honest and objective about this. Look at the situation. We have a college coach who has won 10 games in two seasons. He is expected to go into next season on the hottest seat in the league. We are flailing at QB with terrible moves that are hamstringing both our draft capital and our cap space and are almost certainly poised to make another one of those moves in the near future. We have no OL. We have some nice weapons at WR and arguably the best all-around (yet injury plagued) RB in the NFL, but we reportedly plan on shopping him.

If I was a legit candidate, why would I even consider this gig, especially if I'm a former HC with likely a plethora of NFL connections?

Honestly, the only real answer I'm coming up with is that I already have one foot out the door of coaching and I'm looking to fleece Tepper out of a retirement check to buy another vacation home and a fishing boat. The best "positive" answer I can come up with is that I figure Rhule is certain to get fired because he's not cut out for the NFL and I think I can get an audition as the HC if Rhule gets fired mid-season.

Tepper may be brilliant in the world of finance, but he's probably the biggest sucker in football right now and the word is out.

Disagree. If I was a potential candidate, I'd be looking at this as an opportunity as a stepping stone to a HC gig. You come in, do your job and improve the offense and you are looking at HC interviews the next season. Worst case scenario, you come in, do your job, and Rhule still sucks and you put yourself in line for interm HC and potential full time gig. If you can't come in and do your job, you probably aren't looking at getting a HC job anyway. 

• Flames 1