• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A quarter of the league...

Mr. Scot

10 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I think at this point it's safe to say David Tepper doesn't give a f*ck about what the fans think. 

We haven't heard a peep out of him in months and that guy loves to hear himself talk. You have to think he's embarrassed and he's not someone who is used to dealing with that. His silence says it all to me.

Not just about the fans though...

For older players, this could be one of the last few years of their careers.

For younger guys, a chance to have a solid year building toward a future payday gets short circuited by an incompetent coach.

And then there's guys like Dan Morgan and Samit Suleiman. They've previously been talked about as future GMs, but nobody's even so much as asked permission to interview them this year. Does it become more likely after another sh-tty season of Rhule football?

For us, it might be just another season of bad football. But for the people who are part of the team it's real life, a full year out of their careers shot all to hell.

And again, they don't get those years back 

Edited by Mr. Scot

There are certainly plenty of reasons to argue for keeping Rhule. This being one of them. But I still think it's the wrong decision.

• Less potential competition next year
  • Why waste paying two guys, when the bed is basically already made for next season & lack of draft capital. We can reset after next season with our draft picks back (assuming they're not traded away), and have tons in salary cap space
  • If you give a guy like Rhule 3 years, then that's encouraging for new head coaches

I still think it's the wrong decision to keep him, and would rather take the chance on someone, even if it's not our top choice. Hell, they fail miserably next year and we're exactly where we'd be had we kept Rhule, anyways.

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, Mage said:

I mean.  It might actually make more sense to wait until next year to look for a candidate.  People might hate to hear it, but at this rate, the Panthers could potentially be one of very few teams looking for a new HC next year.  We could conceivably have our pick of the litter.

And no, this is not me defending Rhule.  Just me being rational.  Very good chance we have a better opportunity to nab a great candidate next year than this year.

Each year there close to 7 openings. Check the history, I think only one year there was only 2 or 3 the others were around 7

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Not just about the fans though...

For older players, this could be one of the last few years of their careers.

For younger guys, a chance to have a solid year building toward a future payday gets short circuited by an incompetent coach.

And then there's guys like Dan Morgan and Samit Suleiman. They've previously been talked about as future GMs, but nobody's even so much as asked permission to interview them this year. Does it become more likely after another sh-tty season of Rhule football?

For us, it might be just a year of bad football. But for the people who are part of the team it's real life, and it's a year out of their careers.

And again, they don't get those years back 

What older players? The Panthers have one of the youngest rosters in the NFL. There's almost no players on this roster nearing the end of their careers. Stephon Gilmore doesn't count, he was a one year rental and I doubt he is back.

I get it sucks as a fan though. I feel the same way.

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

What older players? The Panthers have one of the youngest rosters in the NFL. There's almost no players on this roster nearing the end of their careers. Stephon Gilmore doesn't count, he was a one year rental and I doubt he is back.

I get it sucks as a fan though. I feel the same way.

What about the others mentioned?

8 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Who? Dan Morgan and Suleman? I really couldn't care less about their careers and time they don't get back.

Pretty sure they do, as do the younger guys trying to make a name for themselves.

As to sharing responsibility, what exact role did Dan Morgan play in hiring Matt Rhule?

13 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Each year there close to 7 openings. Check the history, I think only one year there was only 2 or 3 the others were around 7

Also this.

So we're gonna let Matt Rhule spend another year damaging the franchise, wasting a year of people's careers, possibly missing out on good coaches and players who might actually want to come here under different circumstances, potentially losing multiple people their jobs, angering the fanbase and very likely losing loads of money...all for what's basically a gamble?

Yeah, that's pretty stupid.

You know he's not the guy. Just fire the a--hole already.

Edited by Mr. Scot

50 minutes ago, Mage said:

I mean.  It might actually make more sense to wait until next year to look for a candidate.  People might hate to hear it, but at this rate, the Panthers could potentially be one of very few teams looking for a new HC next year.  We could conceivably have our pick of the litter.

And no, this is not me defending Rhule.  Just me being rational.  Very good chance we have a better opportunity to nab a great candidate next year than this year.

Sadly, I agree

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Pretty sure they do, as do the younger guys trying to make a name for themselves.

As to sharing responsibility, what exact role did Dan Morgan play in hiring Matt Rhule?

Honestly I think it's ridiculous to talk about the head coach limiting the career advancement of the front office employees as a reason to fire Rhule. Suleiman and Morgan accepted their jobs with Rhule already as head coach, and if they don't want to work for the Panthers, they can quit. I really couldn't care less about Rhule's poor performance limiting the career advancement of the people in the front office and I doubt Tepper does either. There are enough reasons to fire Rhule already.

But Tepper has decided to keep Rhule and my strong assumption is because of money and maybe moreso because he's embarrassed. Tepper is used to being the big dick in then room and right now he looks like a moron. He's doubling down and holding onto his bad investment in hopes it rebounds. Because if Rhule magically turns it around, Tepper looks like a genius and he can thumb his nose at the fans and say "I told you so"

If (and probably when) Rhule fails, Tepper can say he was patient with him but it's not working out. And he won't have to compete against a quarter of the NFL to find the next guy.

54 minutes ago, joemac said:

Seriously, at this point Im Ok with Rhule and Darnold being our tank commanders for the next season.  We're gonna be poo regardless.  So, do what they can to build the o line this coming off-season, led Sam and Matt do what they do best - namely lose football games, and set us up to get Bryce Young or CJ Stroud in the following draft for our brand new head coach. Gonna be shitty to watch next year, but at least it should set us up for success moving forward.  We do have tons of cap space the following 2 years as it stands now. 

https://twitter.com/arjunmenon100/status/1481686984854695938?s=20

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Honestly I think it's ridiculous to talk about the head coach limiting the career advancement of the front office employees as a reason to fire Rhule. Suleiman and Morgan accepted their jobs with Rhule already as head coach, and if they don't want to work for the Panthers, they can quit. I really couldn't care less about Rhule's poor performance limiting the career advancement of the people in the front office and I doubt Tepper does either. There are enough reasons to fire Rhule already.

But Tepper has decided to keep Rhule and my strong assumption is because of money and maybe moreso because he's embarrassed. Tepper is used to being the big dick in then room and right now he looks like a moron. He's doubling down and holding onto his bad investment in hopes it rebounds. Because if Rhule magically turns it around, Tepper looks like a genius and he can thumb his nose at the fans and say "I told you so"

If (and probably when) Rhule fails, Tepper can say he was patient with him but it's not working out. And he won't have to compete against a quarter of the NFL to find the next guy.

You don't need additional reasons to fire him other than that he's terrible at his job.

What takes crazy, weird, borderline ridiculous scenarios to justify is hanging on to him.

Edited by Mr. Scot