• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The drought is getting pretty long

davos

I also want to be clear that I was dead set against the idea of a massive rebuild in 2020. Partly because of what came to pass, it is usually hard to pull up from that nosedive because you don't have good people making the decision to tear everything down to the foundation. 

That is NEVER a wise choice in the NFL.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 4
  • Flames 1

Rhule just had a bad plan. Blowing our draft picks of defensive players and bringing in a proven loser QB who no one wanted put us where we are now.

I don't see any reason why next season's team would be good unless we land an excellent QB. You don't win with defense and we went all in on defense.

Time wise I don't see anything happening until we land a good rookie QB and get him acclimated to our system, so 2024 at the earliest. It's over.

• Beer 1

Yea but cam TD and Olsen all went on the play like trash and their contracts were expiring, you you rather of signed them all farewell/twilight contracts and pretended it be a good team?

I think Luke’s unexpected retirement  definitely hurt though.

but still I don’t think this was the issue, the issue was the fact the panthers never invested in drafting gross replacement, letting Hurney totally fug the cap, never Planning ahead for cans replacement, Tepper keeping Hurney, and then hiring Rhule.

These are the issues that kept us in hell.

• Pie 1

I knew we were in trouble when Tepper and Rhule started throwing out words like "rebuild" and "process". There is no "rebuild" in the not for long league, ESPECIALLY a fuggin 5 year one. All it takes is ONE great draft, or ONE great hire, or ONE great QB for a quick turnaround. We see it all the damn time, yet our owner is trying to sell the narrative that it will take 5 years like we are an NBA team or something.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 4

The drought is getting long, and that falls on the organization.

Sure, we can talk about the fact that we haven't had a franchise QB since 2017.  True.  But the Ravens have NEVER had a true franchise QB (though Jackson may prove to be that guy).  They've won two SB's since 2000, their longest playoff drought in that span is three years.  Never in that span have they had back to back losing seasons.

I am in the camp that says you need a franchise QB to win the SB.  But that doesn't mean you need one to be a good team.  You can compete.

We aren't.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Yea but cam TD and Olsen all went on the play like trash and their contracts were expiring, you you rather of signed them all farewell/twilight contracts and pretended it be a good team?

I think Luke’s unexpected retirement  definitely hurt though.

but still I don’t think this was the issue, the issue was the fact the panthers never invested in drafting gross replacement, letting Hurney totally fug the cap, never Planning ahead for cans replacement, Tepper keeping Hurney, and then hiring Rhule.

These are the issues that kept us in hell.

Yeah I was basically saying that anticipating people to say losing all of them caused it. We could’ve totally reworked the roster into a contender with a coach & QB transition.

Not just cutting losses earlier and promoting Beane may hurt us for some time. Hurney 2.0 was weird and awful.

And you’re right, we passed or got fleeced in so many top OL talent. Bakhtiari, Bitonio, Dawkins, Wills, Wirfs, Slater, I mean there’s countless 1st-3rd rounders we could’ve easily taken. 

Our only true draft investments in god knows how many years has been basically Little, Brady C and Brown. I mean, it’s insane how little we’ve focused on it multiple regimes now.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, BrianS said:

The drought is getting long, and that falls on the organization.

Sure, we can talk about the fact that we haven't had a franchise QB since 2017.  True.  But the Ravens have NEVER had a true franchise QB (though Jackson may prove to be that guy).  They've won two SB's since 2000, their longest playoff drought in that span is three years.  Never in that span have they had back to back losing seasons.

I am in the camp that says you need a franchise QB to win the SB.  But that doesn't mean you need one to be a good team.  You can compete.

We aren't.

Very true and good post. Maintaining a competent winning floor until you find your QB is how the best teams do it. These aren’t small rosters so you can’t just blow it up like NBA teams.