• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers only threw 177+ yards nine games this season. Mahomes gets 177 in less than 2 mins.

Saca312

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

Just my initial assessment. Willis is very raw and somewhat erratic in the pocket with inconsistent mechanics. I think he gets away with a lot due to his level of competition. Yeah, he has a cannon, but cannon ≠ arm talent. 

He's definitely raw, but I think he has the most promise of any QB in this draft. If you liked Trey Lance last year, there is no reason to not like Willis this year. He's not going to be a Day 1 starter, but if I'm riding with Darnold for a year then handing over the reigns to Willis, I'm all for it.

He's already been compared to Josh Allen in terms of arm strength and Vick/McNair in terms of escapablity and running with the ball.

• Beer 2

Well our idiot scouts and coaches thought Sam would be our franchise QB. We had him on a one year prove it deal only to fool other teams into thinking we might draft a QB. The instant the draft was over Sam received an outrageous $18m extension without having EVER proved anything on the football field. Losing seasons and nothing else. Just like with Teddy, the Panthers leadership though they were getting a bargain at that price. No other team was interested in Sam. Idiotic.

We are now in the middle of what I had been warning about all along. QB limbo. Teddy started QB limbo for us by helping us win too many games to have our choice at QB in the draft. Sam pushed us too high in the draft as well, except this is a lame duck QB draft, so it doesn't matter. The next QB to come in will also extend QB limbo further unless that QB is Watson. Watson is the only QB we could reasonably obtain that would end QB limbo and allow out team to focus on building around him and actually winning. Otherwise QB limbo will likely continue until at the earliest the 2023 NFL draft. Even then if we win too many games with a new poop QB we'll miss our chance again.

• Beer 1

We have fans here who think that going 5-12 is better than 0-17. No it isn't if you have a poop QB. Those 5 wins will all be forgotten, and when the draft rolls around and a Justin Herbert goes in front of us we lose everything. The NFL is a QB pitch and catch contest if you want to win the SB. All that matters is landing a franchise QB. The rest can be built later. Going 0-17 is good if you have a poop QB. That's what you want. You're supposed to lose, not scrape and scrap with a poop QB YEAR AFTER YEAR for possibly a decade. NO.

2 minutes ago, NYPantherFan said:

He's definitely raw, but I think he has the most promise of any QB in this draft. If you liked Trey Lance last year, there is no reason to not like Willis this year. He's not going to be a Day 1 starter, but if I'm riding with Darnold for a year then handing over the reigns to Willis, I'm all for it.

He's already been compared to Josh Allen in terms of arm strength and Vick/McNair in terms of escapablity and running with the ball.

Just a disclosure, I drove the Lance train in the Huddle last year, but I don't see Lance and Willis as the same guys, though they're both obviously mobile QBs.  Lance seemed to have much more pocket awareness, more natural  mechanics as far as throwing motion and footwork, and he worked in a pro-style offense. Willis is simply more raw. I feel he's probably stronger than Lance, but he's going to probably need more work cleaning up his game. I just can't see drafting him on day one. Drafting him at a later point may be a good investment, but he needs a lot of work.

• Pie 2

19 minutes ago, NYPantherFan said:

Yeah I'd rather take Willis than the other "NFL ready/low ceiling" guys. If he's a slightly bigger Mike Vick It's worth a shot.

4 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah I'd rather take Willis than the other "NFL ready/low ceiling" guys. If he's a slightly bigger Mike Vick It's worth a shot.

But who really has a low ceiling? Certainly you aren't suggesting that Pickett, Howell, Ridder or Corral have low ceilings. I don't know about that. 

Sure, they have some deficiencies, and their ceiling may not be as high Willis' ceiling on paper, but I wouldn't necessarily say their ceilings are low.

Edited by top dawg
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You don't necessarily need to throw the ball all over the field when you've got a dominant run game.

That comment doesn't have anything to do with us, by the way. I'm just sayin'... 😕

I dunno I think rules changes are making this style of play (or at least an extreme emphasis on it without a dynamic QB that can carry a team,too) outdated and ultimately unable to win it all minus rare circumstances, like reanimating the corpse of a Manning brother.

I do believe Ridder developed his accuracy enough that he has a very high floor for a guy that's both athletic and has a lot of intangibles.  He reminds me a bit like a bigger Kordell Stewart.  

Both Ridder and Howell are the two I'm coming around on to be my favorites as a late R1, high R2 target. I can see both of those guys being playoff QBs.  Not seeing it with Pickett or Willis for some reason.  

They have the upside and most rounded games.  Willis is just way too raw for my taste (So much that I'd say even a step behind Lance, and then Corral & Pickett just seem valued too highly at the moment)