• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Promotion for Suluiman

BurnNChinn

5 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

To avoid going in circles on this RA contract. We have no idea how he will perform this year. We can savage the money with a post 6/1 trade, or we can cut him next year. Right now its speculation that he will get injured, not play well bc Darnold is QB, or that we dont have an oline. 

We will see how it plays out. Im not a fan of keepign RA, but Im a fan of how we setup the contract with ways to get money back. 

How are you getting money back? You can kick it down the road, but you still are paying at least 15M to cut him. That doesn’t go away. Ever. 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, stbugs said:

This isn’t true. Shaq’s guaranteed money was done before 2021. We added $23M “guaranteed” through the restructuring because we won’t get rid of him until after 2022 at the earliest. His restructuring was the same as CMC and also Paradis’s voided years. All of them were done to save money in 2021 (because we were so close) and push it out into future years. In CMC and Shaq’s cases it also made their guaranteed amounts more than the original contract meaning we didn’t have the flexibility to trade or release them to save real money while we rebuild. Restructuring is never a good thing. It’s a we can afford the cap this year and we’ll sacrifice next year. That’s fine for the Saints and Rams trying to win now because they’re a playoff team trying to win it all. We are a 5 win a year team so we shouldn’t be in that situation. Marty fuged us but no one in the organization said you know what 10-23 isn’t worth signing a bunch of FAs let’s actually rebuild and trade our assets like Shaq and CMC for picks.

sure, but this is one side of the story. Ignoring CMC, because due to injury it hard to defend financials because of the variable. 

However, Shaq for instance, restructuring his contract is not a bad thing if the intention is to keep him for the long term. Shaq, and this coud be argued, is deserving of an extension, and it's possible the resturcting was part A of the cap plan. Part B would be an extension that takes the money and portion it to gtd to lower the overall cap number. Not saying this is what the franchise is doing, but it's common that these talented types have plans on how the improve overall cap health.

It's very simliar to how HR forecast for hiring and staffing. Everything is a run and not in the moment decisions making, unless you are MH. 

We will see how it plays out, but under Samir we are in far better health than we were under MH. the guy has been doing this for a long time. 

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 2

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

sure, but this is one side of the story. Ignoring CMC, because due to injury it hard to defend financials because of the variable. 

However, Shaq for instance, restructuring his contract is not a bad thing if they intention is to keep him for the long term. Shaq, and this coud be argued, is deserving of an extension, and it's possible the resturcting was part A of the cap plan. Part B woiuld be an extension that takes the money and portion it to gtd to lower the overall cap number. Not saying this is what the franchise is doing, but it's common that this talented types have plans on how the improve overall cap health.

It's very simliar to how HR forecast for hiring and staffing. Everything is a run and not in the moment decisions making, unless you are MH. 

We will see how it plays out, but under Samir we are in far better health than we were under MH. the guy has been doing this for a long time. 

Every extension is “assumed” for the long run. But when you restructure two player at non-value positions and high injury rates, crap can go wrong quickly. 

I would assume also that someone doing it this “long” would be much better at it. But none of the Panthers front office personnel has ever been good at it. Going back over a decade. 

40 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Not sure you get Paradis’ contract changes. The voided years didn’t save us any actual money, it just moved $8.3M into 2022 as dead cap. Paradis got all $27M of his deal, we just created a chunk of dead cap in 2022 to save money so we could go for the division title in 2021, which failed spectacularly.

Elflein and Erving were bad deals, period. Not enough money spent to impact cap but we saw what they are and that’s not starters.

I don’t see Shaw’s restructuring as a good thing. It didn’t save us anything, in fact, as it usual does, the restructuring just made his cap hit in 2021 smaller (see going for it and failing above) and like Short means we can’t get rid of him. Shaq’s been solid but his dead cap in 2021 became $20M and his dead cap in 2022 is $13M. In essence we gave him $23M for 2021/2022 when his original deal had an out before paying any of that. We could have $23M more in our 2022 or 2023 cap if we didn’t restructure. Shaq played well but we will not compete while paying him that extra money.

Same thing with CMC. His original deal would have made him releasable with all his guaranteed money after 2022. Now, his dead cap hit in 2023 makes it likely we keep him for at least one extra year. Restructuring never gives us more future flexibility. It’s about making room in the current year and pushing out the cap hits and also making it harder to get rid of the player based on the original guaranteed money timeline.

I like CMC and Shaq but their restructuring hurt our future cap if you wanted to get rid of them now.

I’ll be honest, I don’t see any remarkable things he’s done and if he was involved in Darnold and Robby, he’s been more bad than good.

I think it’s obvious we didn’t want to get rid of Shaq or CMC this year. 

42 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

i get the joke, but its literally the one thing you can see. We've gone from 100million in dead cap to 7 millino dead cap in two years. Thats a tremendous feat.

What I see is the Panthers being in the bottom 10 when it comes to the salary cap. I look at cap space available per loss. Teams like the Packers, Rams, Bills, and Cowboys don't have to focus on the cap space to be competitive because they already have the players to win. Can't compare their cap situation to teams who have paid for players who can't win.

A team needs draft capital and cap space to turn a team around unless you have a genius coach with a magical clip board. Rhule is far from a wizard. Likely need to spend more money than other teams to get the players who can carry Rhule.

So, our coaches are bottom 10 and our financial gurus are bottom 10. No wonder why we will be a decade long loser.

40 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

This place is so funny. All this talk about contracts and cap hits like that ish matters.

(The salary cap is a myth. It's all about manipulation.  Samir looks like he knows how to do that.)

Completely agreed. I LOL at all these cap "experts" on here. The Saints are 60 million dollars below the cap and will probable resign all their players and trade for Russel Wilson. 

5 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

Completely agreed. I LOL at all these cap "experts" on here. The Saints are 60 million dollars below the cap and will probable resign all their players and trade for Russel Wilson. 

I tend to laugh at folks that just dismiss what they don’t understand.