• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ranking Realistic QB Options for 2022

davos

3 hours ago, Chad_Cota said:

If we CAN'T land watson. Draft Willis with the 6th pick. 

Why, so he can sit on the bench until he learns how to be a pocket QB and read coverage?  This isn't FCS and he's not going to be able to run all over the field until guys come open.   Dude absolutely tanked when he played FBS talent.  The NFL isn't any easier.

I think the Panthers are pretty much stuck with Sam at least for this next season. So the one thing I want to see is lots of competition. Bring in young guys with potential and bring in aging vets…all on one-year contracts and let the best man win. No more giving up draft picks to find a QB. 
Everyone can agree trading for Sam and giving him the 5th year was a mistake. However, I think handing him the job with no competition or having a viable back up was an equally bad decision. Hopefully they have learned from this mistake but we will soon find out. 

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, davos said:

I'm trying to parse this out because I find it rather interesting considering our future, as Rhule's job is now on the line (if he doesn't dart to college with a miracle out)  

I doubt he and McAdoo are confident in rolling Darnold out as their last stand.  Furthermore, with how trades are being structured these days, and contracts renegotiated, there could be a way to take on a new starter salary. 

First, nice write up. I enjoyed it and your opinions presented are sound. However, I believe the basic premise as to how the Panthers are heading into next season are incorrect. As with most anything I read about the Panthers lately, there is this underlying idea that they are in a win now mode because Rhule will be fired if they don't. This is quite common and therefore not an unreasonable assumption. The problem with this assumption though is that I do not believe it is true nor have I seen any evidence to support it.  Nothing that Tepper has done or said indicates that he anything other than patient.

He bought the team in 2018 and instead of cleaning house, he left the team alone and focused on the business side of the organization and when he was satisfied with that, he  moved to the football side. But even here he moved slowly and stressed a long term strategy. He hired a young, inexperienced NFL coach and signed him to a 7!!! year deal. But even here he continued for 1 season more with the old GM. I believe he did this to not change too much too soon and give his new coach a year to get settled in. Then he hired the new GM with his new coach heavily involved in the decision. This became another 2 year period to fix the financial side of the team, which they did, while trying to improve the roster best they could with limited resources and special focus on the defensive side of the ball, which they did. 

So we can see an early pattern of focusing on a specific part of the organization and giving it 2 years to complete the task before moving on to the next task and using the time to gain experience, evaluate what you have before deciding on how to move forward with the next step. Just like in 2020, the Panthers saw what they had staff wise and decided to make some changes based on their experience and coaching changes have been made and they have stated that their next step will be on the Offense. With focus on the OL in particular. As it turns out, this is a good year for that. Good OL prospects in the draft, quality possible FAs available and cap space to work with as well. 

Darnold will likely be our QB in 2022 unless they can get a QB like Stafford but just like last season I doubt this will be possible so same as last season they will roll with the best option available to them at this time and hope that it works out in the 2nd season (following the 2 season pattern already established) and concentrate on upgrading the OL and continuing to improve the young talent already on the team. If Darnold doesn't demonstrate the ability to be our QB of the future then it will be 2023 that I believe the Panthers will go for their QB of the future in the draft. At this stage it appears that it will be a good year to improve the QB position much like 2022 is a good year to improve the OL. 

2024 will be the year where Tepper begins looking for the results of his patient rebuilding of the Panthers' organization and the complete overhaul of the team from top to bottom. Good business organization, financially sound with smart contracts from top to bottom, rebuilt defense and offense full of young players and a chosen QB starting his 2nd season. Rhule will have 3 seasons left on his contract at that point and this is where the real evaluation of his coaching ability will begin. I would imagine that once again it will be the 2nd season of this stage that will determine his future with the team unless something drastic happens before that. For now, his job is more about the rebuilding, work ethic, and team values. 

By the 6th or 7th year of his contract it will be decided if he is or isn't the coach of the future and if he isn't then at least the Panthers should have a talented young roster and a reputation of patience that would be attractive to the better HC candidates available. Tepper has always said that Rome wasn't built in a day and that he expected this process to take years to come to fruition and we've only just finished year 2. For better or worse we will have to wait and see but don't expect anything to change too much for at least a couple of more seasons unless things go horribly wrong. I know many fans believe it already has and maybe they are correct but I think everything is still going according to plan. The Panthers are playing the long game and that game still has a ways to go whether we like it or not. 

At this point, our best case scenario is that we improve the OL, McAdoo can actually call a decent offensive game, CMC returns to 2020 form and as a result Darnold finally learns how to play QB. If not, then start dreaming about the QB we'll draft in 2023. Until then just keep pounding or take up golf. You can always come back when they start winning

7 hours ago, unicar15 said:

Out of all of those options I’d be satisfied with Corral. I think Willis is a wait and see prospect. Wouldn’t be shocked at all if he ends up in ATL sitting behind Ryan for a year. 

One name I may add to that list is Jordan Love. If the Packers decide they don’t want to be morons and make a way to try and keep Rodgers I would assume Love is on the market so they can try to flip him for assets to win now. 

The Packers need a DT and they need cap space. They also need cost effective wide receivers. If they aren’t able to keep Davante Adams they’ll be looking for a replacement to appease Rodgers. If I’m CAR and McAdoo likes Jordan Love I would seriously consider trying to flip DJ Moore for Love in a deal. You could probably also get some kind of a pick in the deal. Other potential options could be Derrick Brown or Morgan Fox. But Love should be on this list..

DJ Moore for Jordon Love?!!! No way! Right now DJ is the best offensive player on the team. Definitely do not trade him away for a back up QB. We already have a back up QB under center and we don't have to trade Moore to have him. 

10 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

But then he turned around and admitted Hurney wore out the welcome…it’s called learning…just like Terry Pegula

Yeah, but not before it was too late. 

Dave allowed Marty Hurney to play a major role in hiring Matt Rhule.

The damage was already done before David Tepper knew what had happened.

Even so, I'm likely giving Tepper too much credit as he hasn't fired Matt Rhule after two of the worst seasons in Panthers history. 

Fun Fact: Every Panther coach (other than Matt Rhule) has been fired w/less than 6 wins in a season.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth

5 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Don't confuse owner incompetence and mismanagement with patience.

I don't but we can't judge incompetence and mismanagement unless we have the patience to see the conclusion. If it's a 7 year plan as Rhules contract would suggest then judging the results after year 2 is premature. I'm not saying it is or isn't only that we don't know because we're not even half way there yet. Hedge fund managers don't make big changes based on what happened yesterday. They may make smaller ones but you give the investment you've chosen the time you predicted to pay dividends. He's been successful so far doing things that way and I doubt he's going to change his ways now with the Panthers. Investors who don't follow through with their investment don't last very long nor do they become one of the most successful at it which Tepper has so until then I'll just wait and watch and save my judgement for the proper time. 

1 minute ago, Panthers Rhule said:

I don't but we can't judge incompetence and mismanagement unless we have the patience to see the conclusion. If it's a 7 year plan as Rhules contract would suggest then judging the results after year 2 is premature. I'm not saying it is or isn't only that we don't know because we're not even half way there yet. Hedge fund managers don't make big changes based on what happened yesterday. They may make smaller ones but you give the investment you've chosen the time you predicted to pay dividends. He's been successful so far doing things that way and I doubt he's going to change his ways now with the Panthers. Investors who don't follow through with their investment don't last very long nor do they become one of the most successful at it which Tepper has so until then I'll just wait and watch and save my judgement for the proper time. 

Matt Rhule is clueless.  Can't manage his way out of a wet paper bag.

He's not an Xs and Os guy. 

Matt has virtually no NFL experience beyond these last two years.

He chose to surround himself with other coaches with limited NFL knowledge.

We've witnessed the results of his QB quality control efforts.

No need for any NFL team to wait 7 years to "figure out" if their Head Coach knows what he's doing.

No fanbase is waiting 7 years for their HC to figure it out.