• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

TbT... Why couldn't he leave the burgers alone!!

WOW!!

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/29/the-bizarre-story-of-kelvin-benjamin-being-released-by-the-giants/

ESPN analyst Booger McFarland, who said on television that Benjamin was a “Popeyes biscuit away from being a tight end” 

Benjamin weighed 265 pounds at the end of minicamp in June and was told by Giants staff that he needed to get down to 251 pounds for training camp. Instead, he showed up weighing 268 after putting on some muscle, Benjamin said.

8 hours ago, PhillyB said:

when did smitty ever make a wide receiver around him better? the second KB got good enough to start taking receptions from him KB would've been bullied or beaten out of the position.

Not saying that he was or wasn't helpful to younger receivers, but he certainly got on Jarrett for not doing his job. 

16 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Not saying that he was or wasn't helpful to younger receivers, but he certainly got on Jarrett for not doing his job. 

That's kind of the point. Smitty didn't make his teammates better, he even said so himself that he looked at them as competition for his job and had no desire to help them.

3 minutes ago, Icege said:

That's kind of the point. Smitty didn't make his teammates better, he even said so himself that he looked at them as competition for his job and had no desire to help them.

I'm not trying to be contentious, but, honestly, do receivers really make their teammates better in the sense that a QB "makes his receivers better" (like we like to say)? I think that the best way that a WR can make his team better--and quite naturally his fellow receivers--is to do his job. Smitty required a double team pretty much, and that opened it up for everyone else. I think that's undeniable. He's not a coach. It's the coaches job to "make the receiver better" in a sense, but the player has to be willing to put in the work to really make themselves better, as that's what pros are expected to do.

8 hours ago, PhillyB said:

when did smitty ever make a wide receiver around him better? the second KB got good enough to start taking receptions from him KB would've been bullied or beaten out of the position.

Yeah people on this site have this headcanon where Steve Smith invites Kelvin over for sleepovers and becomes his mentor and molds him into a Hall of Fame receiver.  Great player but just because a dude is old and good that doesn't mean he's cut out for that.

Realistically he would have probably just yelled at him in training camp, made snide little comments about him to the media, and then retired after catching 40 balls for 500 yards or something in 2014.

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I'm not trying to be contentious, but, honestly, do receivers really make their teammates better in the sense that a QB "makes his receivers better" (like we like to say)? I think that the best way that a WR can make his team better--and quite naturally his fellow receivers--is to do his job. Smitty required a double team pretty much, and that opened it up for everyone else. I think that's undeniable. He's not a coach. It's the coaches job to "make the receiver better" in a sense, but the player has to be willing to put in the work to really make themselves better, as that's what pros are expected to do.

There are tons of stories of WRs sharing how they got into a WR room and a veteran took them aside to help them learn their craft and be a better pro. I can't think of any job that wouldn't benefit from having a mentor available to guide you. A position coach is more or less a manager. Having that senior guy on the team that looks out for you because you're a part of the team makes you better.

It's the same story as Revis' when he got to the Patriots. He stayed just on his man until Brandon Browner beat his ass during practice because Revis wouldn't communicate nor help out his teammates. He just took his assignment.

Yeah, KB was on the road to being a dominate NFL player until his knee was destroyed, his mother died, and he had a hard time dealing with it.  It sucks.  As a bigger person, I understand the stress it puts on your knees, no matter the shape you're in.

His entitled attitude didn't help him at all.  It would have been nice if he could have had a Chris Carter type mentor who really knew all the details that could help him have a 12 year career.  

What really got me was seeing Cam with time... Holy poo, how long has it been since we saw that kind of OL work...and it wasn't even that great at the time.

6 hours ago, YourLastThought said:

That's where I go when I try to convince my kid that we not waste a ton of money at Five Guys. Much cheaper and almost as good! Their milkshakes also kick serious ass.

Yep!  I went there almost every night in college after work and never got tired of it lol.  You can also add as many mixings to the milkshakes as you want.  Oreo, snickers, Reese’s is 👌🏻 

• Beer 1

On 2/3/2022 at 11:22 PM, YourLastThought said:

Slightly off subject but still has some merit to this thread.... Anybody want to chime on the best current fast food burger? I will say Five Guys but damn are they way too expensive these days. Great burger but not worth the cost at all.

All if them are really too expensive and mostly nothing special.

That is why I like to grill my own.

• Beer 1

On 2/4/2022 at 9:42 AM, Davidson Deac II said:

Given how it turned out, would things had been any worse for Kelvin had we kept Smith?  

I don't guess so. In retrospect it all went to hell with that group of guys and all left angry after being released. You are right and who knows maybe Smith would have angered KB so much it would have lit some sort of fire under him. When it's all said and done I wish we had kept Smith and KB as long as Smith would have allowed Cam to develop and not bullied him around. Smith was worth releasing if he would have hurt Cams development but he was worth keeping if he would not have. As far as KB goes now that it's all said and done I would have to agree with you and say it would have been worth the risk to keep Smith and him to see what happened since it all went to crap with KB anyhow. Sad either way how his only productive years were with us and once gone he could play to his potential with anybody else because I guess he completely lost his heart for the game for whatever reasons.

• Pie 1