• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Another departure

Mr. Scot

Just now, BurnNChinn said:

No I just don’t see why he didn’t let him go but who knows anymore.

I'm not sure he wanted Frisman Jackson or Jason Simmons to go either, but they wanted to so he let them.

I don't think that's a bad thing, but the fact that guys are willing to head elsewhere without getting promotions does speak to the state of the team.

19 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

How dare you not post here while that was going on.  Where are your priorities? 

<Sigh, rolling eyes, and not at you!>

Well, ya know...

She's had the first of her surgeries, the one that I was most worried about, and outside of a few issues has been recovering well.

The next two might be a little more difficult on the recovery front though.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Looking at the guys who've come aboard...

James Campen is a good coach who's recently had a track record of getting hired in places where the coach got fired a year later. Truth be told, that trend could continue this year, but even if it does I hope we keep him.

Steve Wilks was coaching at the college level largely off the NFL radar save for one recent interview. Coaching here brings him back home to Charlotte, is good for his career and good for us as well.

Ben McAdoo wasn't exactly in high demand himself but had at least returned to the NFL in a minor role as a consultant on the cowboys staff with former Packers colleague Mike McCarthy. Not sure I get choosing him over Jay Gruden so much, but he'll get a chance to reform his image here.

Chris Tabor is probably the guy who would have been in the most demand by other teams. His hiring is a good move, and other than Campen the one I like the most.

On the flipside, Paul Pasqualoni is probably the one I understand the least. Brentson Buckner was available, has a solid resumé and a Panthers connection. And he'll, if you wanted somebody in this age group why not go for Rod Marinelli?

So overall it's a mixed bag. Some are guys with good reputations but also guys who weren't necessarily on a lot of other teams' radars.

We'll see what happens...

Campen was a good coach, he hasn't been apart of a winning team in more than 5 years.

Wilks is a good DB coach trying to bring his career back from the dead after a year off. Not a good HC or DC, not at all. I think and hope we lucked in with him.

McAdoo is a rerun that has one positive for us, his QB finding abilities. If this was a new staff this hire would have been seen as a failure.

Tabor has been on 3 teams with winning seasons since 2008. If he is so great why is he always on losing teams? Very weird.

I actually agree with you on Pasqualoni, not even close to the norm below average as the rest of the added crew. 

Overall that is a lot to not be excited about, mostly Wilks whose career looks like it was in cardiac arrest even with his abilities to coach DBs. All of that and King Rhule is still doing his thing. Nothing looks set up for success outside of DB development (fingers crossed) and those guys are not suddenly going to stop full speed Olinemen that make it into the secondary constantly this year regardless of Wilks coaching them up. I don't get the hype sir. 

• Pie 1

58 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

Don't we have a new OL coach? Wouldn't he prefer to select his own assistant, or at least have a say in it? This move makes sense and shouldn't be surprising. I bet we will have a bit more change over, on the offensive side especially.

Hey stop making so much sense man 😉

56 minutes ago, Kraybrothers said:

Lol, I pull for the team to succeed instead of the coach to fail. This guy has been spamming thread after thread to talk trash. 

Honestly, man, Mr. Scott is one of the most knowledgeable and even-handed commentators on this board and has been for as long as I can remember.

If he's commenting in a thread, then there's going to be some meat to the discussion. Agree or disagree with him, it'll be informative, well nuanced and have some history or stats to back it up.

And if he starts a thread, it's real need to know information.

I disagree with him sometimes, but I always appreciate what he has to say.

• Beer 4

1 hour ago, Luciu5 said:

Don't we have a new OL coach? Wouldn't he prefer to select his own assistant, or at least have a say in it? This move makes sense and shouldn't be surprising. I bet we will have a bit more change over, on the offensive side especially.

No indication that Campen had anything to do with the departure.

Per one of the Giants reporters, Sparano had previously worked with Brian Daboll in Miami and wanted to join his staff now that he's a head coach.

And yeah, objectively speaking the current situation in New York is better than ours, so...can't really blame him.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Donald LaFell said:

Tony Sparano headed back to Jersey for that sweet gabagool

Full of nitrates but damn.  Bring it ova hea!! 🤌🏻🤌🏻

not upset by this at all.  Our OL was an abomination and needs a good culling on the coaching side.  Give give it to Campen and let him work some magic.  

• Pie 1

Sparano got passed over with the Campen hire.  So obviously he's not too thrilled about that.  But the OL definitely under-performed with his coaching last season so it's to be expected.

Sparano has the chance to work with a former colleague and get a fresh start.  That sounds like a good move for his career.  Especially since the Giants are expected to take an LT with an early pick and their OL will likely bounce back right away.