• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hunger Culture

rayzor

We lost an edge on defense after 2015.  Once Norman was given the boot we were never the same.  TD and Luke brought the heat, but Norman had that swagger that has been sorely missed.  Donte has attitude, but he can’t get under a stud WR’s skin so much that they literally headhunt him mid-game like Josh and Odell.  2016 offseason was imo the worst in team history.  fuged us up badly.  

3 hours ago, davos said:

If someone is constantly alluding to a culture being created and aspiring to some sort of grand idea of one, then you're directionless and won't really build one.

You need tight bonds, top talent, and great coaching--from that it should just spawn into its own unique thing.  We have none of those three. 

Those elements creates the energy in the building to build a juggernaut with good direction/leadership.  It's coaching and talent.  Coaching lays the groundwork and sets the tone and then the players (most notably a legit QB) get you over the hump and help bring it all together.  

We barely have any of it minus a few promising parts in Chinn, Burns, & Horn. 

We have a long way to go after we fire this staff who basically blew up a nice foundation Rivera left.

Truth. You don't try to create a culture or intentionally work to create one. You just create one. It just happens. You just do it. It comes naturally and organically. Good cultures develop naturally around good leaders. People see it and buy into it without having to be convinced or trained.

Rhule talks a good game and his poo might have worked in college, but he manipulates and that doesn't work so well on grown-ups. 

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, rayzor said:

First, I kept hearing about this culture that Rhule is trying to establish that it supposedly takes 5 years to create. So exactly what is that culture supposed to look like? What kind of culture is it?

One thing that I think has been lacking for years, going back to the year after the Superbowl, one thing I think we've been lacking is a hunger. I think that loss knocked it out of us.

I mean for years before that we always had parts of the team that was hungry, but that just went away and we didn't have strong enough leadership to overcome that. 

Rhule has done nothing to establish that. That's what good leaders do and it doesn't take years to do that. Rivera was weak... likeable, but weak in that department. It seems like Rhule and Tepper (evidenced by the taking away of "keep pounding") don't want it here, which makes it hard to be a fan. 

Your conjecture is strong. It is still only conjecture. You need to use… I think, I feel… etc. You don’t know. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

This team is a mess.  There is no direction and zero accountability.  It starts at the top.

I just got off the phone with the team and we highly disagree.  You just don't see it yet, because you are "just a fan."  Bury your head in the sand and 7 years from now it will all make sense.

• Beer 1

The NFL is all about who you have a QB. The Bucs were terrible and they brought in Brady and immediately won the SB. Without Brady next season the Bucs will return to poop.

Culture doesn't pass the football out on the field. All teams are working long hours and busting their asses to win because massive sums of money are on the line.

Having first and second rounders running around all over on defense doesn't mean anything unless you have a great QB.

John Fox football is dead. Collecting 1st round LBs is something the Huddle loves, but it's idiotic. Drafting a top 10 pick RB is outrageously stupid. 

The defense first blue collar mentality comes from the Steelers and it worked well in the 90's especially. Unfortunately many Panthers fans became addicted to that type of blueprint, small ball tough defense. Rhule is the same way. He wants to run the ball more and more, and bring in one game managing QB after another. Pickett is another game manager, and Rhule will say we're nit running it enough once Pickett racks up L's here.

You want to build your team like the Rams, Bengals, Chiefs, Cowboys, ect. High flying offense with a great QB.

What should be the plan. O-line this draft. Star Sam, lose any meaningless games at the end of the season by putting in PJ, and go into the 2023 draft with the top pick, or near top pick to snag a great QB prospect.

If we take Pickett, then Rhule is sticking with Steelers 90's football, run the ball, play tough defense, punt a lot, and don't turn the ball over with risky passes. That means 5 or 6 wins against teams that are aiming for the top pick in the draft.

Edited by pantherj

To be fair, he loses Luke - out of no where, the captain and leader on defense and probably the teams best player. The next year, he misses with the FA O-line pick ups (but does fairly good the Defense) but the loss of Horn had a domino effect. Sam was doing OK, when then he loses CMC and Dan Arnold (if Horn doesn't get hurt, we don't trade him), his 2 best pass option when under pressure or more importantly, because when CMC's playing, defenses have to account for him. Anderson had the drops and a terrible year and even DJ Moore dropped a bunch of key passes. Our WRs are telling the coaches the other teams know what we're gonna run so the OC is suspect. Rhule makes some questionable game time decisions. It was a bunch of misses all rolled up into 1 big one. Rhule is getting the right coaches (with experience) and Tepper has patience because it takes longer to start over. He must see something or understand what transpired better than us. Doesn't give Rhule a free pass for ever but he comes from Pittsburgh that had 3 coaches in the last 50 years, or something like that. 

• Pie 1

Rhule has no idea what he’s doing and is in over his head. This much is obvious. He’s barely a .500 football coach in college, he has no experience winning. Just look at Arizona. They hired the same thing, a college coach with no NFL experience and a mediocre record. They get laughably out coached anytime there is a big game. Rhule can’t even get us to big games.

The only thing he’ll accomplish is a Top 5 pick next year.

• Pie 1

44 minutes ago, SnowPanther said:

Rhule has no idea what he’s doing and is in over his head. This much is obvious. He’s barely a .500 football coach in college, he has no experience winning. Just look at Arizona. They hired the same thing, a college coach with no NFL experience and a mediocre record. They get laughably out coached anytime there is a big game. Rhule can’t even get us to big games.

The only thing he’ll accomplish is a Top 5 pick next year.

Barely a .500 college coach who took over 2 programs at the bottom of the barrel and turned them around in 3 years. He may be struggling in the NFL, but it's like a new language, some things take time to learn. I'm not making excuses but looking at it realistically. Injuries are part of the game. Most coaches can't over come them, some do. It just feels like many fans, including you, make it personal. It can't be easy with everyone judging every move you make. Every mistake is magnified. A new coach is another 2 to 3 years of a turn around, if, that's IF he can turn it around. Let's just all shut up, breath and give it a year (which Tepper did already so we can't change that) and then you all can say I told you so to each other if he gets fired in the future. I hope it turns around and we start winning because thats what a loyal fan does. Good or bad roots for the team. 

• Pie 1

56 minutes ago, musicman said:

Barely a .500 college coach who took over 2 programs at the bottom of the barrel and turned them around in 3 years. He may be struggling in the NFL, but it's like a new language, some things take time to learn. I'm not making excuses but looking at it realistically. Injuries are part of the game. Most coaches can't over come them, some do. It just feels like many fans, including you, make it personal. It can't be easy with everyone judging every move you make. Every mistake is magnified. A new coach is another 2 to 3 years of a turn around, if, that's IF he can turn it around. Let's just all shut up, breath and give it a year (which Tepper did already so we can't change that) and then you all can say I told you so to each other if he gets fired in the future. I hope it turns around and we start winning because thats what a loyal fan does. Good or bad roots for the team. 

Matt Rhule didn’t even beat a ranked team at Baylor. He’s always been a fraud. Tepper looks like a moron hiring Rhule and it’s no secret why that loudmouth yankee hasn’t said sh*t this off-season. 

19 hours ago, Actionman0z said:

Your conjecture is strong. It is still only conjecture. You need to use… I think, I feel… etc. You don’t know. 

Here's what I do know. We aren't winning. We haven't been a winning team. We are t getting better. The results just aren't there, yet Rhule said what they are trying to do is 1000% working. 

So tell us, dear and loyal fan, what is the identity of this team?

What idoes this culture Rhule is supposedly trying to create look like?

What is it that Rhule is trying to do that is working so well?

I have more questions for a super-fan such as yourself, but I'll stop there and wait for an answer. Seriously...I want to know.

Yeah, the Superbowl definitely knocked it out of us.  That tends to happen when you work your asses off to get to the pinnacle of the sport and then get used as the league's whipping boy on an international stage to advance their storylines and agendas while having everything you dreamed of snatched from your grasp in minutes.

Now, there has been a lot of turnover since then, so I don't believe there are any players or staff outside of Cam that was a part of that, so I think what we're seeing now is just how horrible an owner Tepper is and how bad of a coach Rhule is.  They set the tone, and it's clear the tone is one of mediocrity and apathy.  Decisions made demonstrate that this isn't a culture of meritocracy, so why really sell out?  Your efforts may or may not be rewarded.  You may be scapegoated.  You may get playing time you don't deserve.  Or worse,, you may give 100% and play the game of your life, but your amateur coaching staff will srill find a way to lose and waste your effort, over and over again...  so why try?  It's all a crap shoot, so it's easier to just show up and go through the motions.  I feel like that's where we're at now.

12 hours ago, musicman said:

To be fair, he loses Luke - out of no where, the captain and leader on defense and probably the teams best player. The next year, he misses with the FA O-line pick ups (but does fairly good the Defense) but the loss of Horn had a domino effect. Sam was doing OK, when then he loses CMC and Dan Arnold (if Horn doesn't get hurt, we don't trade him), his 2 best pass option when under pressure

Let me start this by saying I really like Horn. In hindsight I probably would have picked Mac or Slater. 

Its crazy if you look at the domino effect not picking one of the two above caused. If Slater would have been the pick we would still have a 3rd and 6th this year, Dan Arnold, a 3rd from last year(Brady C), the 6th we sent to trade up to get Brady, and probably our first pick of 2023 (if we end up taking a LT). Add in Darnold costing us a 6th, 2nd and 4th, those two moves alone lost us 7 draft picks, a starter, and damn near 20mill in salary cap this offseason. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ColumbusCounty said:

Let me start this by saying I really like Horn. In hindsight I probably would have picked Mac or Slater. 

Its crazy if you look at the domino effect not picking one of the two above caused. If Slater would have been the pick we would still have a 3rd and 6th this year, Dan Arnold, a 3rd from last year(Brady C), the 6th we sent to trade up to get Brady, and probably our first pick of 2023 (if we end up taking a LT). Add in Darnold costing us a 6th, 2nd and 4th, those two moves alone lost us 7 draft picks, a starter, and damn near 20mill in salary cap this offseason. 

Yeah, lots of bad decisions but the handling of the QB situation especially that trade for Darnold was an absolutely embarrassing fail all the way around that really damaged this team. 

I mean think about all the ways that hurt us. Not only did we not choose or draft a better QB, but all the picks it cost us, all the money wrapped up for not just one but two years when we already had one barely mediocre QB here? 

That killed us. Teddy two gloves wasn't The answer, but keeping him and rolling with him would have been better than that stupid gamble on Sammy.

On 2/13/2022 at 4:09 PM, rayzor said:

Here's what I do know. We aren't winning. We haven't been a winning team. We are t getting better. The results just aren't there, yet Rhule said what they are trying to do is 1000% working. 

So tell us, dear and loyal fan, what is the identity of this team?

What idoes this culture Rhule is supposedly trying to create look like?

What is it that Rhule is trying to do that is working so well?

I have more questions for a super-fan such as yourself, but I'll stop there and wait for an answer. Seriously...I want to know.

We haven’t ever won. The rams mortgaged their entire future for this window, and got the QB who we almost had to take them there….. I don’t have answers for you because I don’t work for the team or coach for the team. But you don’t have answers because you look at the record and theorize. I’m not happy with 5-12, but I support coaching consistency, and giving it some time. Everyone talks about Cincinnati… it’s the perfect example, minus the fact that they went Chase over OL, and it cost them a SB. 

• Pie 1