• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offseason finally here. Let's get down to business.

Zod

I'm hoping for an oline first offseason, I'm expecting a very 2010 offseason...

I just want to see a house cleaning, all of them. Tepper needs to hire a handler and that person is not in house yet. Rhule's contract is an abomination and most of the staff is over promoted and overhyped.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 3

2 hours ago, Zod said:

My first question is this 

Do you address the offensive line in the draft, free agency, or both?

I don't trust our ability to evaluate free agents. I know, I know, Marty Hurney influence and all, but there was a whole staff involved in finding these protective washouts and there hasn't been a complete turnover in that department.

Still not sure how good they are at evaluating linemen in the draft, but once they played their guys this past season, both were an upgrade over the veteran pick-ups they replaced.

Build the line. Get Tyler Linderbaum in the first, don't get all tricksy and trade back just snag him, and set the center of the line for the next decade. He's going to get bigger, but you won't find a better skillset and ceiling out there in free agency. Grab another back up guard in the draft and keep Elflein as a starting guard and mentor for Linderbaum this season.

Snag a QB late in the draft with the idea of setting up your future back-up, but understand that he will most likely get some field time before the end of the year. We might strike gold, but if not, we're ready for the next season's pick up of a potential franchise QB.

I mean, since we have tied ourselves to the mast of the sinking Rhule ship.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Zod said:

My first question is this 

Do you address the offensive line in the draft, free agency, or both?

Draft.  My plan would be to stick with Darnold this year since he's already under contract.  Build the Oline. if Darnold doesn't improve his play, we have a high end pick for a QB next year who gets the benefit of a better line.  If FA, we need to look at upgrading safety, linebacker and tight end.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

For the record, we have a GM with over 20 years of experience in college scouting, and a solid reputation for doing it well.

After all the talk over the years about Hurney putting us in cap hell there is no way you can just gloss over the fact Fitterer has played his part in our now bleak salary cap outlook. We got all cute in the last draft wheeling and dealing to loud cheers from fans at the time but our OL in action was a mess and we are unsure where the tackle we drafted will be lining up and our 2nd round pick couldn’t find his way into playing time even when the season was lost. We don't even need to get into the longsnapper mess. The shine is definitely off the 2021 draft. None of this is even mentioning our free agent acquisitions or the Darnold option we picked up immediately. If our GM is indeed little more than a best friend and second in command to Rhule that is not anything to compliment him for no matter how much success he may have had in years prior.

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

After all the talk over the years about Hurney putting us in cap hell there is no way you can just gloss over the fact Fitterer has played his part in our now bleak salary cap outlook. We got all cute in the last draft wheeling and dealing to loud cheers from fans at the time but our OL in action was a mess and we are unsure where the tackle we drafted will be lining up and our 2nd round pick couldn’t find his way into playing time even when the season was lost. We don't even need to get into the longsnapper mess. The shine is definitely off the 2021 draft. None of this is even mentioning our free agent acquisitions or the Darnold option we picked up immediately. If our GM is indeed little more than a best friend and second in command to Rhule that is not anything to compliment him for no matter how much success he may have had in years prior.

Scott Fitterer has an NFL resumé. So does Dan Morgan.

Matt Rhule never will.

Until Matt Rhule is relieved of his duties, I don't feel comfortable judging anyone else for his sins, with one exception.

David Tepper.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Here's the bright spot about our OL, most of the dumpster fire are FAs this coming season, meaning we are essentially in a rebuild on the OL anyway.  Put aside the play absolutely SUCKED this past season, but we only have Elflein (meh), BC, Brown and Moton under contract (as of now) for 2023.  It's Elf's final year though.

Brown and BC get coached up this year...finally so they can be solid starters in 2023, draft a couple of rookies and add in a FA or two and we have decent OL in 2023.   Yes, this is two-year plan, but it makes the most sense.

• Pie 2

This is not rocket science.  Draft a LT in round 1, period...end of discussion on the first round pick.  We now have our bookend tackles with Moton.  Draft a C/G also in the 4th or 5th round.  Centers hold their value better than about any other non-STs player in the late rounds.   Have him back up Elf this year (if he doesn't beat him outright) with the expectation of starting in 2023.  Have BC beef up maybe 10-15 pounds and hit the weight room with him penciled in at LG.  Why LG?  He can be the backup LT in an emergency.  Brown can't do that.  Speaking of Brown...have him hit the weight room too and give that man a salad.  Pencil him in at RG.  In 2023, that is your starting lineup.   Bring in a couple of FAs in March for depth and competition.  

Why is this such an enigma?

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 1