• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft day scenario - Could trading Burns be an option?

SmokinwithWilly

Trading your blue chip players just creates another hole and the depth you thought once had ends up getting wiped out by one injury.

Burns hasn’t peaked yet either and pass rushers are a premium and a cheat code to fielding a defense. He’s off limits in my opinion. If I had to trade him for the sake of the thread though. I’d want 3 firsts or two 2 firsts and two seconds . I’m not getting fuged in this trade.

6 hours ago, Lets get it Canes said:

This!  All he is good at is rushing the passer. He can’t stop the run and consistently overshoots the play   

This is a bad narrative. Even if He over shoots the play near misses whatever disruption is production. Meaning if I can get the quarterback out of his comfort zone or out of sync good things can happen. Just because he doesnt always finish doesnt make that any worse. your talking about a guy who consistently ranks near the top of the league here. Personally this whole thread about trading him and those saying he is overrated are not very high on football smarts.

44 minutes ago, Lets get it Canes said:

Hahaha nah bro. I played ball.  Go back to the Washington game this year. When they went forward on fourth down he wift on the fourth downplay. Taylor rolled out to the left and completed a pass for a first down. Same thing against the Vikings this year. He wiffed on the overtime drive that would’ve resulted in a sack and us having the ball back. and to my second point, he can’t stop the run. Teams consistently ran at him all year and he couldn’t get off his block. All this saying about being a fan bro, it’s actually football knowledge. Versus some fat couch potato who blames other fans for their insecurities. 

Not couch potato logic just pure logic period. Yes a sack and not whiffing is ideal but even getting to the quarterback disrupting the flow of things is a challenge. Someone who consistently creates havoc. Who buys even a half a second more time for another guy to get off a block or just make the timing go off balance that can be all the difference in the world.

Your the guy saying you missed the sack and he turns around like yeah where were u getting pancaked?

Just now, CPantherKing said:

Fans overvalue Burns. Good teams would not start him. He'd be a premier situational pass rusher.

Overvalue? In a passing league, you can't overvalue the worth of a pass rusher with his ability. The issue is that the coaching staff wants him to be a down lineman every down when he should be used more like Reddick (moved around, standing up, hand down, drop into coverage, etc.) 

With our team, we should have been playing more 3 fronts than we were. We could have then easily adjusted the front based on offensive formation. Fox kicks inside, Burns or Reddick puts their hand down. 

Gross-Matos --- Brown --- Fox 

Reddick --- Thompson --- Carter --- Burns

• Pie 1

I'd rather not see us trade away excellent players while Rhule is still in control. They may be necessary when we get back to playing real football again. 

We do have some dead wood that can be traded away or jettisoned. How about we see what we can get for Robby Anderson? Maybe our PR department can put together a sizzle reel of his highlights and shop his Sideshow Bob a$$ around a bit. We could get lucky and grab a fourth or something for him.

Let's stick with the draft picks we've got, keep the core players we have and just try to survive the last season of Matt Rhule. There's better football down the road, let's try to have something left in the cupboard for the next coach.

• Flames 1

Just now, Khyber53 said:

I'd rather not see us trade away excellent players while Rhule is still in control. They may be necessary when we get back to playing real football again. 

We do have some dead wood that can be traded away or jettisoned. How about we see what we can get for Robby Anderson? Maybe our PR department can put together a sizzle reel of his highlights and shop his Sideshow Bob a$$ around a bit. We could get lucky and grab a fourth or something for him.

Let's stick with the draft picks we've got, keep the core players we have and just try to survive the last season of Matt Rhule. There's better football down the road, let's try to have something left in the cupboard for the next coach.

Agreed. Robby Anderson should not be a Panther next year. We can find someone to give us a 3rd for him.

1 minute ago, XClown1986 said:

Agreed. Robby Anderson should not be a Panther next year. We can find someone to give us a 3rd for him.

I'd feel good getting a fifth, sixth or even seventh for him if they'll take the whole contract, too. 

Honestly, I'd trade him for a case of out of date Gatorade and a box of towels for the locker room.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Damn it pisses me off when I hear this. If only we had a plan before 2020. The fact that someone actually can say we can’t pay everyone really hurts when you think that we spent $124M on bridge QBs, 8 games of Short and Okung, a season of Weatherly, Apple and Roberts and of course the killer E’s, Erving and Elflein.

Best part is all that money spent for 10 wins and 23 losses.

Even with the money we spent, part of the reason we were able to do it is we had guys like Burns on rookie contracts. It's just part of having a salary cap. There's just no way to pay Reddick, Burns, Moore, Chinn, Moton, CMC, Gilmore, DJax, Shaq and still field a team. Also have to consider if Burns will want to still play here when his contract is up. It's very possible he could want to go play for a contender. There's a lot to consider, not just can we pay him.