• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft day scenario - Could trading Burns be an option?

SmokinwithWilly

1 hour ago, Actionman0z said:

People smarter and more wealthy than you? 

Wealthy.... Yeah, but what does that have to do with it?

Smarter? Definitely debatable. I mean they should be as far as football is concerned, but overall? Who knows? 

But, like I've said before....I don't have to be a truck driver to know when a truck driver is bad at his job. I don't have to be a plumber or a surgeon or a lawyer to know when they are bad at their jobs. And I don't have to be a coach to know when they are bad at their jobs.

• Flames 2

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

We absolutely could have paid everyone with ease. First, with Horn and Henderson, signing Donte/Gilmore is not a priority. I’d also rather have another 3rd for Reddick as well. Might get a 3rd for Donte. If we rolled over the money we wasted, affording our core guys CMC, Shaq, Burns, Moton and Chinn was a piece of cake and there would be plenty to splurge when we had a chance say in 2023.

That's not paying everyone. That's paying the players that you value. Which is exactly what I'm talking about. What is Burns actual value? If you think that Thibs or Hutch can replace 90% of Burns production at 15m per season less, acquire another first and 1-2 day 2 picks, and use that 15m to upgrade at another position, is the overall gain greater than keeping Burns. It's the same question I would be asking if it were Horn and it was Stingley/Gardner or Chinn and Hamilton. 

I'm not actually saying trade Burns but I think it brings up an interesting talking point at least other than Matt Rhule sucks. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

I'd rather not see us trade away excellent players while Rhule is still in control. They may be necessary when we get back to playing real football again. 

That part. At first I was like 'sure why not' to trading players this offseason.  But then the more I think about it the more I think that idiot will just waste anything they trade for. Save anything we can for the next crew and just hope these people are not allowed to trade the Panther's future away while doing jobs they should never have been hired to do. 

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, Eazy-E said:

This sounds like the Raiders trading away Khalil Mack.

Mack is a HoF caliber player... Burns is not.  I like the guy but he's not anywhere close to that level. 

Burns is at that point where they have to pay him in the next year.  If they have any questions about wanting to do that or their ability to do that then they need to trade the asset and get something in return now while he has value.  He will not have as much value next year with an expiring rookie deal and a 5th year option as the only recourse for retaining him.  

Edited by CBDellinger
  • Pie 1

3 hours ago, CBDellinger said:

Mack is a HoF caliber player... Burns is not.  I like the guy but he's not anywhere close to that level. 

Burns is at that point where they have to pay him in the next year.  If they have any questions about wanting to do that or their ability to do that then they need to trade the asset and get something in return now while he has value.  He will not have as much value next year with an expiring rookie deal and a 5th year option as the only recourse for retaining him.  

I’m not saying Burns is on the level that Khalil Mack was but at the time of the trade they’re both young pro bowl pass rushers who are due up for significant contract extensions. Mack held out not wanting to play under the 5th year option and wanted to be the highest paid defensive player in the league. Raiders didn’t want to cripple their cap space after just signing Derek Carr to a large extension.

Burns still has another year before the Panthers have to decide on his 5th year option and inflated cap hit. They also don’t have to worry about a massive QB salary and will probably be working with a Rookie QB contract the next few years. That will give the Panthers the ability to try and build a winning team without worrying about having a quarter of their cap space tied up in the QB position. This is why I wouldn’t worry about re-signing Burns. Panthers need to surround a new QB with as much talent as possible in that 4 year rookie contract window. I’m sure that is what Fitts in thinking being that he came from Seattle.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Who may or may not turn out to be any good.

Keep in mind, Brian Burns and Kenny Pickett are basically the same age. DJ Moore is younger than Pickett.

I'm not Rhule. No point in bringing up Pickett to me.

Edit: And rookie contracts are important to value regardless of the actual age of the rookie.

Edited by ChibCU

17 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Who may or may not turn out to be any good.

Keep in mind, Brian Burns and Kenny Pickett are basically the same age. DJ Moore is younger than Pickett.

They're just a year off but DJ is older born 97, Pickett 98.  Still though, DJ is going into his 5th year with Pickett getting drafted.  That's cray cray

• Pie 1

What's the worry about his age of all things? He'll be the same age as Burrow was in his rookie season. For further perspective Darnold was 21 as a rookie and his age was used as an argument for why he could be good here now. Certainly didn't make a difference as we have seen.

11 minutes ago, davos said:

They're just a year off but DJ is older born 97, Pickett 98.  Still though, DJ is going into his 5th year with Pickett getting drafted.  That's cray cray

When people ask "why did Pickett suddenly boom in his fifth season?" I always point out that it's probably because he's the same age as the average 2nd or 3rd year NFL player. He was a literal man among boys.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2