• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What's this? A coach shouldering some responsibility and not railroading his players???

LinvilleGorge

"We just have to be better as a unit,” Taylor said, via Bengals.com. “I think that we’ll just look to improve the team any way that we can and not specific to one necessary group. The offensive line helped us get to the Super Bowl. They gave us opportunities to go win the Super Bowl. Everything always falls on them statistically, but that’s not always the case. There are play calls that could be better to help put them in a better position. There is a lot that plays into all that. They were an offensive line that helped us get to the Super Bowl and gave us opportunities to win and I think they should be commended for that."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/16/zac-taylor-defends-bengals-offensive-line-says-he-can-call-better-plays-to-improve-protection/

The whole damn world saw the Bengals' OL play like poo all season and that went a long way in the Bengals ultimately coming up just short but Zac Taylor doesn't blame them. He puts the responsibility on himself. Shocking for a Panthers fan so accustomed to watching Rivera and Rhule throw their players under the bus.

🍺 to Zac Taylor.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

It'd probably help if the interview process actually looked into issues like this and asked questions related to how a head coach approaches adversity, failure, etc.

I mean, I'd take that over "He sounds smart, I've got good feelings and these meatballs are delicious. Let's hire him!" 🙄

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

28 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Good coach. Good leader. They'll be back in it in a year or two.

Probably two, making allowance for the Superbowl loss slump.

I dunno about that. I like them and was really rooting for them but they were punching way above their weight. 

Don’t get me wrong, they are a good team and Burrow is an amazing QB but I honestly won’t be surprised if they don’t make the playoffs next year with a healthy Baltimore roaring back in the division.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

I dunno about that. I like them and was really rooting for them but they were punching way above their weight. 

Don’t get me wrong, they are a good team and Burrow is an amazing QB but I honestly won’t be surprised if they don’t make the playoffs next year with a healthy Baltimore roaring back in the division.

As long as long Tomlin and Harbaugh are in that division, there are no gaurantees to win the division back to back. You give them both a healthy QB, and Bengals arent even a wild card team this year.

• Beer 1

It's funny seeing people prop up Zac Taylor on here as this paragon of coaching who we all wish Rhule could be, when Taylor was Rhule until he got his franchise quarterback.  Taylor took a 6-10 Bengals team to 2-14 his first season (last in AFC North), drafted Joe Burrow, took them to 4-11-1 his second season (last in AFC North), then a 10-7 Super Bowl season in his third season on the back of his franchise quarterback who came into his own this year.

The irony is that Zac Taylor is the best and possibly only argument one could make for sticking with Rhule.  "Hey look at Zac Taylor, he was abysmal his first two seasons in the NFL and he managed to make it to a Super Bowl in his third year...maybe there's hope for Rhule!".  I mean I wouldn't personally make that argument because I want Rhule gone, but this is exactly the type of argument Rhule would try to pitch to Tepper.

• Pie 5
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

It's funny seeing people prop up Zac Taylor on here as this paragon of coaching who we all wish Rhule could be, when Taylor was Rhule until he got his franchise quarterback.  Taylor took a 6-10 Bengals team to 2-14 his first season (last in AFC North), drafted Joe Burrow, took them to 4-11-1 his second season (last in AFC North), then a 10-7 Super Bowl season in his third season on the back of his franchise quarterback who came into his own this year.

The irony is that Zac Taylor is the best and possibly only argument one could make for sticking with Rhule.  "Hey look at Zac Taylor, he was abysmal his first two seasons in the NFL and he managed to make it to a Super Bowl in his third year...maybe there's hope for Rhule!".  I mean I wouldn't personally make that argument because I want Rhule gone, but this is exactly the type of argument Rhule would try to pitch to Tepper.

My question is this-do we believe that Rhule could get this team to the playoffs, let alone a Super Bowl, even with a franchise QB? He just seems so much dumber than Taylor, but maybe I just haven't followed the Bengals that closely.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, 1st down said:

My question is this-do we believe that Rhule could get this team to the playoffs, let alone a Super Bowl, even with a franchise QB? He just seems so much dumber than Taylor, but maybe I just haven't followed the Bengals that closely.

Maybe not, which is why I wouldn't personally make that argument.  I'm just saying it's the most compelling argument a Rhule defender (or Rhule himself) could possibly make because it provides a real example of a brand new coach who failed his first two seasons who miraculously pulled off a Super Bowl appearance in his third season.  If I were Rhule, I'd be pointing to the Bengals as to why a franchise QB is so important and that it's impossible to succeed as a coach without one.

• Beer 1

22 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I don't think he's all that great of a coach. I'm just giving him respect for shouldering some responsibility and not railroading his players.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

Good coach. Good leader. They'll be back in it in a year or two.

Probably two, making allowance for the Superbowl loss slump.

Biggest hurdle is the murderer's row of QBs in the AFC. You're probably going to have to go through some combination of Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, and Lamar in the playoffs. If Lawrence or Wilson develop into that type of QB it could be even worse. I'm not a Jones fan, but Belichick still brings a nasty defense. AFC is loaded.

• Pie 2

i have no issue with coaches calling out players in meetings and to the side. I'm not a fan when they do it publicly. I like that the coaches see what I'm seeing, and I agreed with some of the stuff Rhule said last year in regards to folks he threw under the bus. I did not like how he seemed to be unable to straighten the issues those players had out, however. I also did not like the way he seemed to shift blame away from poor choices he made himself that contributed to team failures (Ie. Sam can run the QB sneak just like Cam).

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1