• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Waldman's RSP Film Room: Carson Strong

Ricky Spanish

9 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

It's college. The strong arm QBs can force balls in at that level. Coverage is much tighter at the NFL level and you can 3x his ints if he keeps making those throws.

As for him throwing open receivers, please reference the game he regularly does this. I see that a majority of his throws are behind the receiver, underthrown, wobblers, or floaters. He has no touch. His receivers need to constantly adjust to his throws, and it is obvious they recruited receivers with a large catch radius because of his inaccuracy. He gets his receivers killed often.

He is at the bottom of the top 15 when it comes to throwing a WR open.

This was even more obvious in the Senior Bowl.

So the guys analysis in the op and others are garbage and Strong is garbage while out performing most of the pack playing and hurt. He didn't want to let his team down. High character. He risked everything for them and put up better numbers than your guys and beautiful tape.

If anybody can adjust to the NFL game and the speed it's a high IQ, strong armed, great reader of defenses like this guy. 

The guy couldn't plant his back leg and threw a couple wobbles and STILL played better than the top of this QB Class with two 70% seasons in a row but that means nothing, right. 

57 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

So the guys analysis in the op and others are garbage and Strong is garbage while out performing most of the pack playing and hurt. He didn't want to let his team down. High character. He risked everything for them and put up better numbers than your guys and beautiful tape.

If anybody can adjust to the NFL game and the speed it's a high IQ, strong armed, great reader of defenses like this guy. 

The guy couldn't plant his back leg and threw a couple wobbles and STILL played better than the top of this QB Class with two 70% seasons in a row but that means nothing, right. 

Not defending the dude you're responding to but Scot's thread is interesting about Strong not interviewing well with teams at the combine.  Seems like Corral also doesn't leave the best impressions.  Doesn't help their cases but I do see Strong as the best pure passer in the class.  I just wouldn't get any hopes up he'll be coming here.  I think we're obviously a trade, Mariota-level signing or Willis/Pickett at this point.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, rippadonn said:

So, you can't give me a single game to watch him throw open receivers consistently?

Did you watch the entire film analysis? If you did, I'm sure you caught the part where he points out they had to throw ONE bad pass in the analysis? That alone red flags the analysis. It's clear he is fan boying about Carson Strong, and claiming his bad decisions are amazing throws.

I run from strong arm fan boys' analysis of a QB. The best coaches in the NFL even point this out in books about arm strength being a huge problem with the draft/combine process.

Lance Zierlein has Strong graded lower than Jack Coan. He refers to Coan as a back up/possible starter. He only refers to Strong as a back-up. While I'm not a fan of Zierlein, he does agree with me on many of the negatives surrounding Strong in his scouting report. He believes Coan will go 4th round while Strong goes 2nd round and may sneak into the 1st. This is what happens when personnel execs fall in love with strong arms QBs. They reach for them, even with 2 bum knees.

7 hours ago, davos said:

Not defending the dude you're responding to but Scot's thread is interesting about Strong not interviewing well with teams at the combine.  Seems like Corral also doesn't leave the best impressions.  Doesn't help their cases but I do see Strong as the best pure passer in the class.  I just wouldn't get any hopes up he'll be coming here.  I think we're obviously a trade, Mariota-level signing or Willis/Pickett at this point.

I've read numerous quotes from NFL scouts & execs that all said interviews are maybe the most important part of the Combine (along with the medical).  

Finding out that Corral and Strong both did poorly is a surprise.  Not only is the position an intellectual one, where you have to read the defense on every snap.  You also have to be the leader of grown men who are already millionaires and who have kids.  So you need a leader in the huddle and in the locker room.   Not some immature kid.  

I think poor interviews bode very badly for Strong and Carrol.  And conversely, Pickett did very well which helps his stock.  

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, rippadonn said:

So what’s your take on Strong?

The nfl is 17 games, plus preseason, plus OTAs, plus working everyday. We don’t have to talk about post season as the Panthers won’t see that with Rhule here 

Point being, the physical toil is enormous and let’s be truthful, every defensive player in the league knows about that injury    

far or not, that injury makes him too much risk unless it’s 5th rd.  A team with a decent starter might pick him earlier but I just don’t see him surviving the nfl for long 

Edited by raleigh-panther