• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Info on the grand jury proceedings

Mr. Scot

Yeah I know, another Watson thread. But this one is about a pretty important (albeit unpleasant) topic and has a lot of relevance toward what happens next..

In the article linked below, ESPN's Sarah Barshop explains the details of the grand jury proceedings and their possible results.

What do Friday's grand jury proceedings mean for Deshaun Watson, Houston Texans?

Some of the highlights...

It's not guaranteed to be finished in one day

While a decision on criminal charges could come as early as Friday, grand jury deliberations could go into next week.

Two women filed criminal complaints without filing lawsuits

Watson’s attorney, Rusty Hardin, told ESPN in July that 10 women had filed complaints with Houston police about Watson. Eight of those women have also filed civil lawsuits against Watson with allegations ranging from harassment and inappropriate behavior to sexual assault during massage sessions.

It doesn't have to be unanimous

The grand jury process does not require a unanimous vote. Hardin told ESPN on Tuesday that if nine of the 12 grand jurors return a "true bill" under Texas law, Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg could choose to proceed with a criminal case against Watson.

The potential charges and their punishments

The range of potential criminal charges Watson faces include indecent assault, assault and harassment -- all misdemeanor offenses. Indecent assault is classified as a Class A misdemeanor, which is punishable by up to a year in jail and up to a $4,000 fine. Watson could also be charged with sexual assault, a second-degree felony in Texas which is punishable by two-to-20 years in prison.

Further info about the lawsuits

While these grand jury proceedings are unrelated to the outcome of the civil cases, NFL teams interested in trading for Watson, who didn't play last season but was on the active roster, should have more clarity in the next week on whether he will face criminal charges and how that might affect his NFL future. However, unless Watson and the 22 plaintiffs settle the civil lawsuits, a pretrial conference related to those lawsuits is scheduled for early May, according to court documents.

Potential NFL discipline

If there is a conclusion to the criminal investigation (i.e., he is not charged), that could begin the process of NFL discipline. Hardin had previously told ESPN he didn’t expect Watson to talk to the league investigators until the criminal investigation had ended.

If Watson is charged, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell could also choose to put the quarterback on the commissioner’s exempt list, something he did not do last year. Watson was a healthy scratch for all 17 games while collecting a $10.5 million base salary.

Under oath 

Watson will also face questions under oath for the first time in at least some of the civil cases on Friday. Hardin told ESPN he’ll instruct Watson to assert his Fifth Amendment right to not incriminate himself during his testimony on Friday in the civil cases because the criminal investigation has not concluded.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

18 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

So nice to be following grand jury proceedings involving a guy your team wants to trade a brinks truck worth of draft capital and talented young players for to become the face of the franchise.

Yeah 😕

Has pretty much that exact same thought as I was posting this.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

So nice to be following grand jury proceedings involving a guy your team wants to trade a brinks truck worth of draft capital and talented young players for to become the face of the franchise.

Tepper is trying to take the crown of the worst owner in the NFL. Jerry,  Dan, you best get to work because there is a new billionaire idiot gunning for you. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

I guess this thread is for the fans that don’t want Watson and want to complain. Well I will see my way out. Peace

It's actually for information about a pretty important proceeding for us. I imagine if there are updates, they can be posted here as well.

How people feel is how they feel.

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

So even if he gets charged its more than likely several misdemeanors and he will never see the inside of a cell. 

There are guys in the league with felonies. 

If he's charged, he likely goes on the exempt list. And who knows how long it'll take to get to trial. Or the outcome.

1 minute ago, La Pantera said:

If he's charged, he likely goes on the exempt list. And who knows how long it'll take to get to trial. Or the outcome.

I still dont understand the exempt list, its all rather stupid.

A guy like Hill can beat his son and wife and break his sons arm and never miss a game.

AP beat his son black and blue and is still in the league.

• Pie 1