• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cap nerds unite!

Actionman0z

1 hour ago, Snake said:

OT is probably the hardest position to pick in the draft. If we could lock up Armstead we would have many more years to find his replacement.

I disagree. I understand the draw of a top 10 LT but that pick at 6 should net us a top 3 LT. 

I would rather gamble on that, TBH.

Especially since we have nuked our cap as a bottom 3 NFL team.

This is the offical cap. otc and sportac are guessing

https://nflpa.com/reports/public-salary-cap-report

It does lack behind, but until the paper is sent in and approved, this is the only real number. I say check back in a few days and you will see the real space after djak, bozeman, hacker etc.

plus you need around 15 million for the draft pool and in season free agent signing. So if you see 10-15 left, no more "mid-big" free agent will be signed. 

7 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

Only the 51 highest contracts count against the cap. Practice squad players usually have no cap hit.

That is only true during the offseason.  During the regular season everyone counts.  Including practice squad.  And since only the top 51 count, during the offseason, you don't need 7-8 million for a draft class no matter how many picks you have.  Everyone after the 4th round will not count towards the cap because their cap hit will be to low.  Usually 2-3 million is all a draft class counts unless you are in the top 5 picks.  Then it could be as high as 4 million.

9 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I disagree. I understand the draw of a top 10 LT but that pick at 6 should net us a top 3 LT. 

So you rather roll with Darnold or other retread and a Rookie LT than Armstead and top 6 Rookie QB? I don't like that logic. 

47 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yes. I can see past the current coaching staff.

You're missing the point. The current coaching staff isn't seeing that. They are going to do what they need to keep their jobs. That ain't starting Darnold. So it's Armstead or stop gap. I'm picking Armstead every time. Besides not even good teams pick LT before they pick a QB. That's retarded. 

54 minutes ago, Snake said:

You're missing the point. The current coaching staff isn't seeing that. They are going to do what they need to keep their jobs. That ain't starting Darnold. So it's Armstead or stop gap. I'm picking Armstead every time. Besides not even good teams pick LT before they pick a QB. That's retarded. 

I mean....I can't make you see it.

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean....I can't make you see it.

I see it. Just ain't buying it. The Trent Dilfer days are over. We need a QB that can use one of the best WR duos in the game. KC can win a lot of games with a 3rd backup LT but not without Mahomes. 

12 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

How long of a career do most top 3 LTs have? 10-15 years?

During that time how many LT prospects are drafted in the top 10?

As you can see the math doesn't add up, they can't all become top 3.

The fact is the chance of any LT drafted becoming top 3 at their position is the exception, not the rule.

Fans have a bad habit of convincing themselves that every top-10 pick is a future hall of fame player.