• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kenny Pickett Pro Day today

BurnNChinn

Just now, jb2288 said:

wut

did you even look? 40, vert, broad

Wow 40/vert/broad instantly equal better athlete. TIL. Why even bother looking at film? We should just hold the draft the day after the Combine. No need to waste time with other extraneous non-sense.

But for what it's worth, I wasn't able to even confirm those Dalton numbers were correct. There are other sources that say his run numbers were a good deal better. The NFL has historically had issues with run times at the Combine.

5 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Mac Jones is a cerebral QB who is methodical af with his reads. He obliterates you if given the supporting cast.

Pickett has a better arm (marginally) and is more mobile, but he's not in the same stratosphere mentally. He was also incredibly mediocre before his RS Senior year. 

Yeah Mac Jones looked very cerebral in the playoffs against Buffalo.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

I am like this:  Our choices in free agency are slim.  The best (arguably) is having shoulder surgery and will be out indefinitely.  Our best trade scenario involves a backup that cannot beat out Jalen Hurts.   Our options at QB in the draft are as bad as they have been in years.  So what do you do?

I say you have to draft a QB.  If he bombs, he becomes your 2023 backup.  If he succeeds, win.  I think Minshew has some potential when he has a pocket, so if we take Minshew, draft the T. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

He had 38 pass attempts per game. They threw the ball more than nearly every NFL offense this year. It's a pro-style offense, but they were very pass heavy this year. It's undeniable. 

Anthony Gordon only trailed Burrow by about 100 yards in 2019. Why isn't he a great NFL QB? 

You call me lazy, but your argument is "the guys who lead college football statistically in 2020 and 2019 are good NFL QBs, therefore Pickett is going to be a good NFL QB." I mean, geez, give me a break. 

I don't think he's "more athletic" than Dalton. But tell me, how does his athletic advantage over Dalton translate to the NFL? What does that mean, exactly? Dalton was an above average runner as a QB. Not a weapon, but mobile enough to make a defense pay for 8-10 yards if they totally ignored him on obvious passing downs.

Do you think Pickett is a weapon as a runner? I sure don't. I think he's exactly what Dalton was: he's fast enough and mobile enough to make a defense that plays him lazily pay for it, but he's not going to add true positive value on called run plays. 

He runs a 4.6 is constantly keeps his eyes down field. Rolling out and extending plays to buy time to make your throw is a great trait for a QB, go watch Mahomes and Rodgers as they do this constantly. He can also pick up the first down with his legs if he needs to, but he is a pass first QB. 38 pass attempts per game in a NFL style offense against a decent conference is a positive thing. It shows that he can consistently make these plays and go through his reads. Give me 38 attempts with a high completion rate and yard vs a lower attempt. A larger sample size of passes is better. Pitt had one of the better QBs in the NCAA of course they are going to air it out and guess what? Is usually worked as they won the ACC for the first time in a while. He is perhaps the best QB in this draft at mid range throws and can fit the ball into tight windows. So he has size, speed, and a good enough arm. People hate him because he is boring. He won’t launch it 75 yards down the field and he won’t break 5 tackles on a run, but he is a solid prospect. The same thing happen with Mac. 

But hey you read somewhere his comparison is Dalton…

11 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

Oh, more stat nerd bullshit? lol

Oh more dumbass comments that bring nothing to the conversation? Who would have thought.

Show me how Dalton is athletic as Pickett, ill wait. 

You dont outscore a guy by 5 on the RAS on a whim or technicality, this isnt a PFF grade. 

Edited by PootieNunu

2 minutes ago, trueblade said:

How has the conversation gone from "none of these guys are first round picks" to "our guy might be gone before pick #6"?

Because it's easy to say no qb is worth drafting top 10 months before a draft but the closer that day gets the more difficult that statement becomes. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Like a K and P, I could care less about a QB's vertical and broad jump.  His 40 time, sure, that's relevant. I get that's part of him being graded as an athlete overall, but jumping ability has little to do with QB success.

While they aren't huge on their own, it's just an overall testament to athletics. If someone has consistently better scores across all drills, it makes it a pretty easy conclusion they are a better overall athlete 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

He runs a 4.6 is constantly keeps his eyes down field. Rolling out and extending plays to buy time to make your throw is a great trait for a QB, go watch Mahomes and Rodgers as they do this constantly. He can also pick up the first down with his legs if he needs to, but he is a pass first QB. 38 pass attempts per game in a NFL style offense against a decent conference is a positive thing. It shows that he can consistently make these plays and go through his reads. Give me 38 attempts with a high completion rate and yard vs a lower attempt. A larger sample size of passes is better. Pitt had one of the better QBs in the NCAA of course they are going to air it out and guess what? Is usually worked as they won the ACC for the first time in a while. He is perhaps the best QB in this draft at mid range throws and can fit the ball into tight windows. So he has size, speed, and a good enough arm. People hate him because he is boring. He won’t launch it 75 yards down the field and he won’t break 5 tackles on a run, but he is a solid prospect. The same thing happen with Mac. 

But hey you read somewhere his comparison is Dalton…

You just explained the NFL version of Andy Dalton, my man. Thanks for validating. I have no clue if anyone has compared him to Dalton, maybe they have, maybe they haven't. It's what I see. I watched a good deal of Pitt this year. He's very Dalton-ish. Maybe you don't remember that Andy Dalton was a top 20-ish QB, I don't know. But you've absolutely described him. 

• Poo 1

3 minutes ago, trueblade said:

How has the conversation gone from "none of these guys are first round picks" to "our guy might be gone before pick #6"?

Crazy---but it seems to happen every year, so we shall see.  I ask this question:  What is the difference between Pickett/Willis and Howell?   It is possible that you could trade back, grab an edge rusher and get a QB in the first round.  People like Pickett because Pitt came together as an offense in 2021, and Pickett had a good year.  Put Pickett under center at UNC in 2021, and does he do better than Howell?  Howell had a good 2020, so we definitely see the impact of good supporting cast.  I dunno.  I just think that Howell + a player in the draft is a better option than Pickett at #6.  I am really torn.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

Wow 40/vert/broad instantly equal better athlete. TIL. Why even bother looking at film? We should just hold the draft the day after the Combine. No need to waste time with other extraneous non-sense.

But for what it's worth, I wasn't able to even confirm those Dalton numbers were correct. There are other sources that say his run numbers were a good deal better. The NFL has historically had issues with run times at the Combine.

No one is saying those numbers mean anything when it comes to being a NFL QB. I only made the statement that Pickett is a far superior athlete than Dalton. and Minshew while we are at it. 

I've gotta jump in on this mess. 

1. I don't want to draft Pickett at 6, but I'd gladly take him in the teens if we trade back.

2. I believe Pickett will have a Mac Jones type rookie year where he plays the best of all the rookie QBs

3. The hand size thing is hilarious to me. Who cares if he has small hands if he showed he can read a defense, make good decisions, and make accurate passes? I feel like the last few seasons should have hammered in that concept to our fanbase by now

4. The NFL ball and college ball are the same circumference. So it's hilarious that people are making the point that he's going to struggle throwing an NFL ball.  

- Pros: 11 to 11.25" length, 28" circumference

- College: 10.5 to 11.5" length, 28" circumference

5. He's shown the ability to learn and improve while in college, so the fumbles can be avoided with proper two-hands on the ball technique while in the pocket. 

That is all. 

• Pie 3

I would take a rookie contract version of Andy Dalton with this team and the talent we have.

It would be a massive upgrade over Sam.

And it's easier to build a complete team around a rookie QB contract, cap wise.

Edited by SgtJoo
  • Pie 2