• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitterer on Quarterbacks and regrets

Zod

8 minutes ago, hepcat said:

The 49ers were rumored to have offered a 1st round pick for him (who knows if that is true). 

Then the Niners mortgaged their future on Trey Lance after reportedly balking on Mac Jones because they're were getting clowned so hard. Hell, they might be every bit as bad as us at evaluating QBs so I wouldn't take a great deal of comfort in that.

• Pie 3

Just now, hepcat said:

I mean you pulled up a statistic from AFTER the Panthers traded for him LOL. Like I said, hindsight is 20/20. 

He wasn't one of the worst starters in the league when we traded for him? The guy who said he was seeing ghosts on the field? What are you arguing?

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Then the Niners mortgaged their future on Trey Lance after reportedly balking on Mac Jones because they're were getting clowned so hard. Hell, they might be every bit as bad as us at evaluating QBs so I wouldn't take a great deal of comfort in that.

If Mike Shanahan’s post-Elway Broncos are any indication, Kyle isn’t too great at QB evaluation either. But who knows, Lance hasn’t even had a real shot yet. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

If Mike Shanahan’s post-Elway Broncos are any indication, Kyle isn’t too great at QB evaluation either. But who knows, Lance hasn’t even had a real shot yet. 

Truth. Good lord Elway fell for the '80s prototype guy over and over again. If he was 6'3"+ with a big arm Elway just couldn't resist. Guarantee you Carson Strong is his #1 QB this year. He can't help himself.

Just now, frankw said:

He wasn't one of the worst starters in the league when we traded for him? The guy who said he was seeing ghosts on the field? What are you arguing?

I’m arguing that Darnold was seen as a talented QB in a bad situation under Adam Gase just like Ryan Tannehill. There were other teams that were willing to take a chance on him thinking if he got put into a situation with better coaching and players around him he could be successful. It didn’t work out, but I don’t think it was a horrible decision. The Panthers just didn’t hedge their bet. 

23 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Hindsight is 20/20. Darnold was playing under Adam Gase and there were a lot of teams that were willing to take a chance on him. The 49ers were rumored to have offered a 1st round pick for him (who knows if that is true). The Panthers did pay a little bit of a steep price, maybe a 3rd would have felt a little better, but I didn't and still don't disagree with taking a chance on Darnold. 

What I really disagree with was picking up his 5th year option without him playing a down for the team. And also passing on Justin Fields or Mac Jones. Having Darnold battle it out with a rookie was the right call. 

I have to think Joe Brady's amateur-esque offense had a hand in not drafting a rookie QB. A rookie needs development and Joe Brady's offense wasn't flexible enough to cater to a rookie. Who knows how well McAdoo will do developing a QB, but he can't be any more reluctant or inexperienced than Joe Brady was.

Hindsight isn’t 20/20 when you(a bunch of us) knew he sucked d*ck and were pissed we traded for him. Sure, as fans we tried to rally behind him and hoped he panned out, but myself and a lot of others around here knew he was straight ass. Then picking up the 5th year option was just the cherry on top of stupidness. 

Edited by SazmoRanger
  • Pie 1

8 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I’m arguing that Darnold was seen as a talented QB in a bad situation under Adam Gase just like Ryan Tannehill. There were other teams that were willing to take a chance on him thinking if he got put into a situation with better coaching and players around him he could be successful. It didn’t work out, but I don’t think it was a horrible decision. The Panthers just didn’t hedge their bet. 

The idea was always very high risk low probability of reward. And those other teams looking at him decided what the Panthers should have as well. He was not worth the risk. You can hem and haw about hindsight but we were ripped off by the New York Jets. One of the worst run teams over the last 20 years. That's going to sting for awhile and it could have and should have been prevented if we had not been petrified of drafting our own QB.

33 minutes ago, CRA said:

Fields was the no brainer pick when he fell last year.

Problem with this year….is there isn’t a QB worth taking at #6.   So because of past mistakes they make another and draft some 3rd round talent at #6

If fields was in this class we would be talking about trading up for him

I really appreciate Fitterer's handling of most questions thrown his way. He usually doesn't just give an answer, but additional context, as well. He strikes me as somebody that will continue to learn from his mistakes and improve. Hopefully Rhule starts doing the same. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

At least he's willing to admit it. I agree with him though. If you don't have a QB then QB is always your biggest need and historically your best bet by far of finding a franchise QB is in the 1st round of the draft.

However, my concern remains this crew's ability to evaluate QB talent. I haven't seen much to hang my hat of hopes on there. Hell, I think they might even realize it themselves, hence their hesitancy to draft one.

It didn't strike me as a "hesitancy to draft one" at all.  More like he wanted to keep drafting one until they got it right -- or got lucky.  Kind of a crap shoot mentality.