• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peter King: Panthers draft Pickett

NAS

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/04/nfl-draft-top-10-trade-fmia-peter-king/

6) Carolina Panthers
Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh

When Matt Rhule was the Temple head coach in the spring of 2016, he sealed the deal with top QB recruit Kenny Pickett from south Jersey. When Rhule took the Baylor job, Pickett de-committed and went to Pitt and made the most of his opportunity there. You just get the sense the Panthers aren’t sold on Sam Darnold and are desperate for an upgrade. Drafting Pickett (2021: 67-percent passer, 42 TDs, seven interceptions) is no sure thing, at all. But the Panthers are still searching at quarterback, and Pickett would give them hope.

8 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

We survived the Watson clusterfug.

We just need to stay the course and survive this Draft. Picking Pickett at #6 is just a terrible move.

Stay the course? Hell, I'd be up for doing anything other than staying the course that has produced three straight five win seasons.

11 hours ago, NAS said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/04/nfl-draft-top-10-trade-fmia-peter-king/

6) Carolina Panthers
Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh

When Matt Rhule was the Temple head coach in the spring of 2016, he sealed the deal with top QB recruit Kenny Pickett from south Jersey. When Rhule took the Baylor job, Pickett de-committed and went to Pitt and made the most of his opportunity there. You just get the sense the Panthers aren’t sold on Sam Darnold and are desperate for an upgrade. Drafting Pickett (2021: 67-percent passer, 42 TDs, seven interceptions) is no sure thing, at all. But the Panthers are still searching at quarterback, and Pickett would give them hope.

1649097598495.gif.eadd76d00de46e0bc71e203d79ed9945.gif

• Beer 1

18 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Stay the course? Hell, I'd be up for doing anything other than staying the course that has produced three straight five win seasons.

Selecting a QB at #6 is more of the same. 

I personally don't think either of the Bridgewater or Darnold deals were bad - Bridgewater was clearly a toxic personality in the locker room and Darnold hasn't had a chance behind this OLine.

That said, taking a middling-poor QB prospect is more of the same - throwing poo at the wall and seeing what sticks. 

• Poo 1

Panthers are not ready to win 10+ games.  Best thing they can do is trade back a few spots, ideally for a future first and draft an OT (Cross/Penning?).  Then draft a DE in the 4th and call it a day.

Next year, there are a number of QB options that can be dropped into an almost finished product.  The 2 firsts may not be enough to get our guy, so we may need to give up a future first, but we should have a pretty solid roster all around - just waiting on a good QB to finish the product. 

I personally think Icky is being overrated.  Neal has to be the pick if there but he won’t.  Outside of that I think we will definitely look to move down slightly and if Pickett is still there he is the pick.  If not we will take the best player.  I have this horrible feeling we like Ridder.  Hope I am wrong.

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

On 4/5/2022 at 11:35 AM, grimesgoat said:

Panthers are not ready to win 10+ games.  Best thing they can do is trade back a few spots, ideally for a future first and draft an OT (Cross/Penning?).  Then draft a DE in the 4th and call it a day.

Next year, there are a number of QB options that can be dropped into an almost finished product.  The 2 firsts may not be enough to get our guy, so we may need to give up a future first, but we should have a pretty solid roster all around - just waiting on a good QB to finish the product. 

True but there are also several teams with more than one first round draft pick, so competition for those qbs is going to be fierce. We'll still have to give up a lot unless we have a poo season.

On 4/5/2022 at 7:14 PM, Shocker said:

I personally think Icky is being overrated.  Neal has to be the pick if there but he won’t.  Outside of that I think we will definitely look to move down slightly and if Pickett is still there he is the pick.  If not we will take the best player.  I have this horrible feeling we like Ridder.  Hope I am wrong.

The only thing that should give us some level of pause for Neal(which if he is there I would take him in a heartbeat) is that it is a little bit wild he isn't universally viewed as a HR #1 OT pick. Especially given his athleticism and size. 

Everything about him screams #1 overall pick material but he didn't always play at that level. Nor do teams universally view him as a top 10 pick. That is actually a little concerning. 

• Pie 2

On 4/9/2022 at 4:43 PM, kungfoodude said:

The only thing that should give us some level of pause for Neal(which if he is there I would take him in a heartbeat) is that it is a little bit wild he isn't universally viewed as a HR #1 OT pick. Especially given his athleticism and size. 

Everything about him screams #1 overall pick material but he didn't always play at that level. Nor do teams universally view him as a top 10 pick. That is actually a little concerning. 

When I hear this, and see it...the only thing that makes sense is that he doesn't really love to play the game he does it because he's good at it, and he can get paid to do it.

Nothing wrong with that, but I'd rather have the guy who loves the game even if a touch less talented than someone who does it just because he's a big athletic guy.

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

When I hear this, and see it...the only thing that makes sense is that he doesn't really love to play the game he does it because he's good at it, and he can get paid to do it.

Nothing wrong with that, but I'd rather have the guy who loves the game even if a touch less talented than someone who does it just because he's a big athletic guy.

I think that is why guys like Ekwonu and Penning stand out specifically to me. They just have that personality that they are going to try and destroy you every play.