• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers have talked to numerous teams about moving back from #6

TheSpecialJuan

Just now, kungfoodude said:

The NFL whiffed on the 6th overall pick?

Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

That is an odd way to say one team whiffed on a pick. One team amongst the worst 6 teams. 

Yeah. In hindsight taking Tua and his Bo Jackson'd hip over Herbert was a huge mistake. All the questions I had regarding Herbert in that Oregon system should've gotten cleared up by NFL talent evaluators in the interview process. That's the part of the process is fans have no insight into. I gotta judge a guy based on the offense he played in. When you handcuff the hell out of your QB I gotta assume there's a reason for it. Well, there was. Those Oregon coaches were idiots. 😂

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

What do you think an "average QB class" looks like? If you're expecting 3-4 legit starters out of an average class then I understand why you're buying into the narrative.

I think it's more of a "where are the 3 and 4 year starters that were good early, and got better each and every year, while having a capable NFL arm and good NFL size?"

ALL of these QB's have a LOT of questions.

3 hours ago, Growl said:

if you’re dropping from 6th to middle of the pack it better be for multiple ones, and you never ever pass up your choice of QBs when you have a need at the position.

but there’s too much (erroneous) glorification of how Seattle got by during fitterer’s tenure that I’m inclined to believe he thinks it’s a good approach

seattles been amongst the worst drafting teams in the league

Kevin Costner proved that well. Bunch of pancake eatin’ motherfugers lol

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah. In hindsight taking Tua and his Bo Jackson'd hip over Herbert was a huge mistake. All the questions I had regarding Herbert in that Oregon system should've gotten cleared up by NFL talent evaluators in the interview process. That's the part of the process is fans have no insight into. I gotta judge a guy based on the offense he played in. When you handcuff the hell out of your QB I gotta assume there's a reason for it. Well, there was. Those Oregon coaches were idiots. 😂

And also....Tua just wasn't as good of a prospect. Additionally, Herbert wasn't a failure of the NFL, it was a failure of your evaluation. The system you play in college matters to an extent, but you need to be looking for NFL traits and the ability to pick up offensive concepts. Even we as amateur evaluators can handle some of the first portion of that. The rest is hard to glean without interviewing him and also without years of experience playing and/or coaching football.

I will point out that it is odd that you hated Herbert for the offense he played in but it's very similar to what Howell played in at UNC.

What is the disconnect?

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

And also....Tua just wasn't as good of a prospect. Additionally, Herbert wasn't a failure of the NFL, it was a failure of your evaluation. The system you play in college matters to an extent, but you need to be looking for NFL traits and the ability to pick up offensive concepts. Even we as amateur evaluators can handle some of the first portion of that. The rest is hard to glean without interviewing him and also without years of experience playing and/or coaching football.

I will point out that it is odd that you hated Herbert for the offense he played in but it's very similar to what Howell played in at UNC.

What is the disconnect?

The disconnect is that I've watched every snap of Howell's career. I'd probably watched 5-6 total games of Herbert's. I know what Howell's mental make up is. I didn't know about Herbert's.

7 minutes ago, poundaway said:

I would be surprised if we went into the draft at 6.  I'm guessing we will have  already traded down before the draft begins.  If Fit plays his cards right, we could walk out with a 1 and 2nd round OT and QB.

I doubt anyone is trading for #6 until we're on the clock. That's why we're talking to multiple teams. Every team might have a different prospect(s) they'd be willing to make the move to get.

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The disconnect is that I've watched every snap of Howell's career. I'd probably watched 5-6 total games of Herbert's. I know what Howell's mental make up is. I didn't know about Herbert's.

But are you also blind to his(Howell) faults as a result? You did get blinded by Herbert's offense when he was at Oregon.

Regardless, the point being is that if you look at this QB class, prospect by prospect, it is just bad. Doesn't mean 1 or 2 guys might not succeed. Pickett might be able to outplay his Andy Dalton-ish ceiling. Willis might be a fast learner and figure out how to anticipate throws, read defenses, etc. Corrall might end up learning to read the field pre-snap like Drew Brees and carve up defenses with that quick release. Ridder may somehow fix his myriad of mechanical issues and be the same gamer he was in college. Howell might end up not being a poor man's Baker Mayfield and be what Mayfield was supposed to be. Strong might develop into a guy that can be extremely adept at moving in the pocket and analyzing defenses at an elite level.

But....if you take the past few classes and sit down with the pros and cons of each of the top 5 or 6 prospects, it's clear that this isn't just a "doesn't have a top tier prospect" class but it's a class that lacks many decent gambles on success. It's a lot of traits and flaws for prospects that we typically are used to seeing in guys that go in the 4th-7th rounds. So are we looking at Mahomes or are we looking for Gardner Minshew? I am gonna say this definitely leans towards the latter.