• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I do NOT want Trevor Penning

shaq

I do not want Trevor Penning! He is widely regarded as a first round lock in this years draft, yet his tape suggests highly otherwise. Yes he is a great athlete and people love to praise his “mean streak” but when I watch his tape this only really translates to him getting 16 penalties in 12 games. This was with him playing very below average talent at Northern Iowa as well. This is a clip of him showing his “mean streak” at the senior bowl. 

https://twitter.com/TheoAshNFL/status/1514808264239714319?s=20&t=wfEJR_fUfRu51vDXhxlyVA

If I was a coach and my young LT threw an opposing defender literally right at my QB’s knees, I would instantly pull a Riverboat Ron and not let him see the field. This overly aggressive style of play is a negative, I know we all had to witness Greg Little being a gigantic teddy bear for 2 seasons but over compensating never works. Against senior bowl pass rushers he was exposed, even with this “mean streak” he was still getting bull rushed. He will most likely struggle out the gate in the NFL, I just don’t think his hand usage or leverage is ready. He really does have amazing physical traits and if he does figure it out he could be awesome, but at the end of the day you don’t only draft off upside as this is the range busts mostly fall in. His mean streak has some pros but some really concerning cons. You could talk me into Penning as a third round prospect and maybe a bit higher, but where he’s being projected right now is just too high. We need to invest in this offensive line, we have 3 great options, Icky Ekwonu, Evan Neal, and Charles Cross. Any of those three would be a great pick, especially if we could get one in a trade down scenario. Keep pounding!

• Pie 4

He's going to get a lot of penalties in the NFL if he tries to pull the poo he did during Senior Bowl week. He kind of reminds me of Garrett Bolles in Denver - just really aggressive to a fault. I'd much rather have the top 3. Charles Cross from Miss. State  is growing on me as someone who I'd feel comfortable if we pick him at 6. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

He looks really really raw with a lot of upside. Seems like a prospect that needs time before he is ready to start at LT. Maybe a year or two at RT or LG. Really good physical traits but he needs tons of coaching. 

He is the kind of guy that I want us to stay away from in our current situation, we don't need projects but production. Too many good LTs for us to be targeting this guy with the 6th. 

• Pie 2

I mean penalties and stuff like that can be coached out of a player. A lot of people said the same thing with Horn last season. His aggressive play style the way he likes to get physical and handy might make him a bust in the league because he isn't allowed to play that way in the NFL. That has yet to to be seen but he looks good.

Give me a bully that wants to Hurt people any day of the week in a physical contact sport. You have to love what your going out there to do. I want to believe you can coach the bad traits out of them. Physical desire and want...you can't imput that that.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

5 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I mean penalties and stuff like that can be coached out of a player. A lot of people said the same thing with Horn last season. His aggressive play style the way he likes to get physical and handy might make him a bust in the league because he isn't allowed to play that way in the NFL. That has yet to to be seen but he looks good.

Give me a bully that wants to Hurt people any day of the week in a physical contact sport. You have to love what your going out there to do. I want to believe you can coach the bad traits out of them. Physical desire and want...you can't imput that that.

He was the most penalized player in college football at Northern Iowa. You think it’s going to get better going up against Players like Tj Watt, and Myles Garrett? I agree with you, I want a physical player too but Penning is just outright dumb. It’s a football game not a wrestling match, and man oh man this kid couldn’t handle the senior bowl. Every time he got destroyed he would literally throw a temper tantrum. The media sticks to narratives too strong, yes he is a mean physical player but he also exceeds that threshold into a large negative. Watch his senior bowl 1 on 1s it’s genuinely concerning how much he got bull rushed.

Edited by shaq

Draft strategy:

1. Neal

2. Icky

3. Trade back, then target

4. Cross

5. Pickett

6. Carrol

7. Z.Johnson/K. Greene

If we trade back to the 20's, we should recoup at least a 2nd and 3rd round pick.  At that point I would be comfortable with solidifying LG with an actual LG such as Johnson or Green and let BC start at LT.  In the 2nd or 3rd look at someone to develop at LT. Someone like Bernhard Raimann or Nicholas Petit-Frere would be a great grab at that point.

This would have us solid at RT, RG, and C.  Brady has some experience at LT, and a 1st/2nd round LG should not be an issue.

• Pie 2