• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers have the inside track to trade for Baker Mayfield

TheSpecialJuan

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Cam said something that's not PC. Watson is accused of a dozen cases of sexual misconduct. We can't fall all over ourselves to trade the franchise for an accused serial sexual predator then pull an offer for Cam because of some non-PC comments. 

Yes we can. It’s unnecessary  distraction and unwanted publicity. If you can avoid it, you will avoid it. 

at the end of the day this is a business and you don’t want to lose customers.

7 hours ago, YourLastThought said:

What the heck did Cam day or do? I haven't heard a thing about it if he did anything.

EDIT: Oh nevermind I just read it. His comments were really not all so terrible as they were made out to be. He was just talking trash with some guys on a podcast. How many of us males in the world have not talked some crap just like that to their buddies.

Yah I agree that it wasn’t that bad, but the media has it now and turning it into a huge deal. Now wherever he goes, they will get a media side show with him.

7 hours ago, j2sgam said:

Sam & Robbie for Baker & ‘23 3rd… 

not a fan of RA, it best behooves us to move on….

Works for me....Having Sam and RA around is a constant reminder that we took the Jets trash and thought we could build around that... Baker is the best of the lot and we sure as hell won't find a franchise QB in the draft. Think Mayfield will be highly motivated wherever he goes and I don't mind his mouth... he does need to get in the film room and chill on the commercials.. We could do worse than Mayfield and prolly will...

• Beer 1

10 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

They already picked up Jacoby Brissett as their backup, Don't see how it would be to their advantage if they'd just cut the new bust for the same $19M cap hit. It's tricky because usually these kinda guys would do a restructure and trade deal like how we got rid of Teddy, but not sure these guys on guaranteed 5th year options are willing to work with the teams that are kinda screwing the whole situations up for everyone. If I were Baker or Sam I'd say F U cut me and give me my money and I'll figure it out myself. 

Both QBs will get their money. But each with a new team it might help defuse the bad mojo with their current teams. That's all I'm saying. And they can both be FAs next year. 

1 hour ago, Pimpdaddy said:

Works for me....Having Sam and RA around is a constant reminder that we took the Jets trash and thought we could build around that... Baker is the best of the lot and we sure as hell won't find a franchise QB in the draft. Think Mayfield will be highly motivated wherever he goes and I don't mind his mouth... he does need to get in the film room and chill on the commercials.. We could do worse than Mayfield and prolly will...

So... fix our Jets' trash problem with the Browns' trash? *Panthers' logic*

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Baker is not the sexy get, but when healthy he looks like prime Aaron Rodgers compared to Darnold.  I say if he can be had a for a cheap future pick, probably like a 3rd or 4th, I do it regardless of what the plans are for or what happens in the draft.  If we add him before the draft, there's less pressure to reach for a QB early...  now, if we're in love with a guy like Willis, you pull the trigger regardless, but from everything we've heard and seen, it sounds like we like these rookie QBs but not necessarily enough to take them at 6...  which is why I would be 100% okay with trading for Baker and taking the BPA at 6 or being able to trade back a few spots, pick up a LT or QB and another pick.

I wouldn't be overly hyped up about the acquisition, but I would be fine with it.  Baker can win games, and at the very least, he isn't going to often be the reason you lose them like Teddy and Sam the last two seasons.

Let's for hypothetical reasons we trade for Baker and he put's up something close to his 2020 numbers (30td and 4,000 passing yards) would you be ok with giving him 30-35m a year on his extension. A healthy Baker isn't a bad QB but if he plays well he would absolutely have this organization by the balls in contract negations. If he puts up good numbers then we are probably too far down in the draft to get Bryce young or Cj stroud.   

4 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

Let's for hypothetical reasons we trade for Baker and he put's up something close to his 2020 numbers (30td and 4,000 passing yards) would you be ok with giving him 30-35m a year on his extension. A healthy Baker isn't a bad QB but if he plays well he would absolutely have this organization by the balls in contract negations. If he puts up good numbers then we are probably too far down in the draft to get Bryce young or Cj stroud.   

Ah, the "let's go ahead and pickup Darnold's extension" mentality.

• Beer 1