• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FO Wise: There has clearly been a power shift

davos

4 hours ago, tecc86 said:

But can you answer the question why you think Fitt is the guy to lead us to the QB promiseland when he thought Darnold could be that guy?

It goes back to the power dynamic.  Last year, Fitt was lower on the pole and executed what Rhule wanted. 

4 hours ago, amcoolio said:

I think its moreso that Rhule wants a chance with a good QB, not the pu-pu platter he has had to deal with the last two seasons

I’m struggling with this comment…

who cut Newton…who brought in Bridgewater….who brought in Darnold .

when you say ‘had to deal with’ it sounds like all these decisions were just giveen to Rhule……is that what you are saying ? 

1 hour ago, amcoolio said:

To be fair, they went after much better guys and even agreed to trades for Stafford and Watson and got turned down. Aside from Fields/Jones, who I agree with passing up, who could they have gone for that was available and would play here? Only one I can think of is Minshew, but its another big gamble.

I'm no Teddy fan (frankly, he's one of my least favorite Panthers ever) but something happened with the relationship behind the scenes as well. While I completely understand and 110% support them moving on from Teddy, I don't understand the way Rhule and Tepper handled things so publicly at the end of the season and into the offseason. That's on them, and even if it didn't have a negative impact on these other potential deals it sure didn't help.

"- You asked for "proof Fitt didn't drive the Darnold trade". Elflein, Erving and CJ aren't relevant to that discussion."

Uhh, the topic is that "There has clearly been a power shift"...not " Darnold is Rhules fault".

"It's been revealed that at the time of the trade Rhule had contractual final roster control. So no, Fitterer couldn't have told him NO."

Yes, but it has also been said that Rhules STILL has that in his contract.

"Again, this is irrelevant to your request for proof that Fitt didn't drive the Darnold trade. Which is what I provided."

My point is that everything the huddle agrees with is Fitt and everything the huddle disagrees with is Rhule.  The topic is NOT just on Darnold and NEITHER was my post.  Darnold was an example.

Go on, live in your world that Rhule is just sitting on the sidelines now.  In time, we'll see.  You may be right, but right now, Fitt, Tepper  and Rhules contract say that Rhule is playing the same role he played last year.

Edited by poundaway

3 minutes ago, poundaway said:

"- You asked for "proof Fitt didn't drive the Darnold trade". Elflein, Erving and CJ aren't relevant to that discussion."

Uhh, the topic is that "There has clearly been a power shift"...not " Darnold is Rhules fault".

"It's been revealed that at the time of the trade Rhule had contractual final roster control. So no, Fitterer couldn't have told him NO."

Yes, but is has also been said that Rhules STILL has that in his contract.

"Again, this is irrelevant to your request for proof that Fitt didn't drive the Darnold trade. Which is what I provided."

My point is that everything the huddle agrees with is Fitt and everything the huddle disagrees with is Rhule.  The topic is NOT just on Darnold and NEITHER was my post.  Darnold was an example.

Go on, live in your world that Rhule is just sitting on the sidelines now.  In time, we'll see.  You may be right, but right now, Fitt, Tepper  and Rhules contract say that Rhule is playing the same role he played last year.

I feel like there's an odd overreaction to what I'm saying in the OP.  I'm not trying to frame this as some false perspective that Rhule has been stripped of all power and is doing nothing and is in the corner getting sh*t on daily by Tepper.

The dynamics just seem different and there's been a shift in how things are going.  It just seems pretty clear to me.  Doesn't mean he still doesn't have final say (double negative), but it's obvious they're letting Scott (and Dan who's all of a sudden getting exposure), be their main PR guys in draft season.  It was always really Rhule with Scott there chiming in.  It's just not the case, they're peeling him back.  And it all just seems dialed back/or checked a bit more on his end.   

Had we picked a QB....things would be the same... really kinda surprised we went in the right direction on this first rounder.  Oline picks are not glamorous but necessary. I think Fit is doing the right things...his only to fug ups...Robby and Sam were prolly made cause fhule was having a hissy...

3 minutes ago, davos said:

they're peeling him back. 

This is the part I take issue with.  It may be that THEY are peeling him back, or that Rhule has grown and humbled.

Rhule has shown that he is willing to change.  Rhule realized last year wasn't working so he changed course, firing Joe Brady.   I do not believe for one second that the vet NFL coaches we hired weren't Rhule selections.   I don't believe Fitt forced Rhule to take coaches that Rhule did not want.  I don't believe that Rhule was against last night pick and I don't believe that all the good decisions made in the off season this year were made by Fitt and all the bad decisions last year were made by Rhule.  It was a collaborative effort last year, it is this year. 

Can anyone show me where Rhule's contract has been changed?

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, poundaway said:

This is the part I take issue with.  It may be that THEY are peeling him back, or that Rhule has grown and humbled.

Rhule has shown that he is willing to change.  Rhule realized last year wasn't working so he changed course, firing Joe Brady.   I do not believe for one second that the vet NFL coaches we hired weren't Rhule selections.   I don't believe Fitt forced Rhule to take coaches that Rhule did not want.  I don't believe that Rhule was against last night pick and I don't believe that all the good decisions made in the off season this year were made by Fitt and all the bad decisions last year were made by Rhule.  It was a collaborative effort last year, it is this year. 

Well that's not what I'm saying.  He seems peeled back from the PR side of things, so it makes you wonder what else.  It seems you're drawing a line at what the "else" is, I don't know what it is.  

Just now, davos said:

Well that's not what I'm saying.  He seems peeled back from the PR side of things, so it makes you wonder what else.  It seems you're drawing a line at what the "else" is, I don't know what it is.  

Pretty sure Rhule isn't the one keeping himself from talking to the public.

1 minute ago, poundaway said:

He scapegoated Joe Brady because the football world demanded a sacrfice and he even managed to do that wierd becaue he waited until after the bye week was over..... and the offense and all it's problems remained indentical.   That's not change. 

big time coaches are what they are.