• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 3 Pick 94: Panthers Select Matt Corral - QB Ole Miss

Ricky Spanish

17 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Ive watched 4 out of 5 of the QB school around Matt Corral. He reminds me of Deshaun Watson. 100%.

You think he’s the athlete that Watson is? Also Watson is not a good play action QB, on the other hand Corral is.

I do see some similarities but quite a few differences as well. Obviously the RPO similarities are there but I don’t necessarily think Corral will be able to get around like Watson does.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

4 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

WRONG.

Leadership is one of his best qualities. Ask anyone who has played with him.  

You can really see that when he came back out after getting hurt in the Sugar Bowl, it felt line every team mate (offense, defense, coaches) came over to him. 

It's also big to me that in the age of "I'ma skipping my meaningless bowl game" that Matt was like "fug that, I'm strapping it up and going to compete with my brothers."

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

So this may get hate.. but I actually think Joe Brady could have done well with Corral. We saw what he was trying to do with Darnold but I just don’t think Darnold had the mental makeup to run Brady’s offense… I think Corral maybe could have.

McAdoo has had success developing QB’s so I hope they focus on really turning Corral into a pro style QB. He gives you a lot to work with: solid arm, great pocket awareness, very mobile, good footwork. That’s enough to work with. Up to the coaching staff to teach and Corral to learn.

What I’m concerned about is Rhule coming out in the future and saying something like… 50% our plays are going to be RPO’s now because we have Corral. I’m not sold on that working at the NFL level for Corral simply because the guys who are doing it well at the NFL level are built different.

CMC makes it possible at the NFL level. A dual threat throwing to would be a problem for the league.

1 minute ago, MechaZain said:

CMC makes it possible at the NFL level. A dual threat throwing to would be a problem for the league.

A healthy CMC, if he goes down again then what? That’s why you can’t tailor your offense to Corral in my opinion. Not to mention a heavy RPO offense is going to get CMC hit a bunch… even on pull outs he’s going to get lit up. I personally don’t want that.

I’d rather Corral adapt to our system rather than we adapt to his. If we have to adopt to his then you have put all your eggs in his basket and if he still doesn’t work out then you’ve set yourself back even further.

He gives you enough to work with to think that he can be a pro style QB. If it doesn’t work out then at least you tried in my opinion. 

Now obviously he does the RPO well so let’s not eliminate it but we don’t need to be at damn near 50% like Miami. Drop it down to 20% and let the kid learn how to be an NFL QB pocket passer with the ability to use his legs and the RPO when needed.

I don’t think there’s any scenario where I want him taking some of the hits that Mahomes and Allen take, he’s just not built like that.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, NeederNodder said:

His game reminds me of young Matt Stafford

Actually reminds me of young Aaron Rodgers when he was coming out of Cal. A lot of the same qualities. Insane quick release, very mobile, strong, accurate arm. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, joemac said:

Actually reminds me of young Aaron Rodgers when he was coming out of Cal. A lot of the same qualities. Insane quick release, very mobile, strong, accurate arm. 

Skinny Russell Wilson with some issues between the ears.

That's how I've always seen him...love the pick...if it works out, it's a homerun....if it doesn't, it was surely worth the gamble for this team at this time.

• Beer 1

32 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

So this may get hate.. but I actually think Joe Brady could have done well with Corral. We saw what he was trying to do with Darnold but I just don’t think Darnold had the mental makeup to run Brady’s offense… I think Corral maybe could have.

McAdoo has had success developing QB’s so I hope they focus on really turning Corral into a pro style QB. He gives you a lot to work with: solid arm, great pocket awareness, very mobile, good footwork. That’s enough to work with. Up to the coaching staff to teach and Corral to learn.

What I’m concerned about is Rhule coming out in the future and saying something like… 50% our plays are going to be RPO’s now because we have Corral. I’m not sold on that working at the NFL level for Corral simply because the guys who are doing it well at the NFL level are built different.

It’s hard to tell if it was Brady or Darnold that had our offense so predictable. The issue was defenses knew what plays we were running before the snap. That had to be Brady being too predictable, or maybe he didn’t trust Darnold to run a more complex offense. The offense he was trying to run seemed similar to Corral’s Ole Miss RPO quick reads, but that’s too simple to run in the NFL. Like you are saying hopefully McAdoo gets the keys to run the offense as he sees fit and can develop Corral into a solid QB. I love Corral’s leadership and toughness (again this can be a fault too) and I think he can toughen up our locker room and become a leader pretty fast. Darnold doesn’t have it in him to be that guy. Cam was great at it. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It’s hard to tell if it was Brady or Darnold that had our offense so predictable. The issue was defenses knew what plays we were running before the snap. That had to be Brady being too predictable, or maybe he didn’t trust Darnold to run a more complex offense. The offense he was trying to run seemed similar to Corral’s Ole Miss RPO quick reads, but that’s too simple to run in the NFL. Like you are saying hopefully McAdoo gets the keys to run the offense as he sees fit and can develop Corral into a solid QB. I love Corral’s leadership and toughness (again this can be a fault too) and I think he can toughen up our locker room and become a leader pretty fast. Darnold doesn’t have it in him to be that guy. Cam was great at it. 

Very likely Darnold due to how limited he is in what he can do. Nobody ever accused Sam of being a cerebral QB, know what I’m saying? Although Brady wasn’t exactly lighting it up with his play calls either. Just a perfect storm of stupidity on all sides really. 

36 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

You think he’s the athlete that Watson is? Also Watson is not a good play action QB, on the other hand Corral is.

I do see some similarities but quite a few differences as well. Obviously the RPO similarities are there but I don’t necessarily think Corral will be able to get around like Watson does.

Throw motion and feet placement. It's almost identical. 

• Beer 2