• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker may be happening today.

Zod

24 minutes ago, poundaway said:

This is such BS.  His third season he made the playoffs so everybody thought he was great.  Teddy Bridgewater had MORE YARDS PASSING in 2020 for the Panthers,  than Baker did behind one of the best lines in football.  They were 24th  in passing yards in 2020 and 3rd in rushing.  What a joke.

Passing yard totals don't matter much, especially if the team doesn't throw as much.  Its more about efficiency.  How good was he when he did pass the ball.  2020 had both good and bad for him.  His interception percentage was low.  When he did throw it, he didn't throw it to the other team much, which is a good thing.  But they didn't seem to throw the ball downfield a lot.  The YPC numbers were meh.  A team that ran the ball as well as Cleveland did should be taking more downfield shots when they did throw.  Of course, that could be on the coach,  but taking in everything, 2020 was a good, not great season for him.  

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

Mayfield should've been out most of the season. I don't even like his attitude about his inury. He hurt his team by not riding the pine. He was injured though, make no mistake...more than 25 percent of his career.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/14/baker-mayfield-opens-up-about-extent-of-shoulder-injury/

Cam did the same thing with his foot injury, but was given a pass by a lot of people because he was a competitor. It's what these guys do. I still don't want baker unless it's a straight up trade for Darnold and a box of Krispy Kreme originals. 

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think the biggest difference is that Baker has actually had some success at the NFL level. Darnold has quite literally never been successful at all.

Baker is a streaky, gunslinger in an era that doesn't favor that playing style at all. Darnold is a non-NFL caliber QB. He's in the Leaf/Russell category of massive busts that are incapable of playing in the NFL at all.

Thinking that Baker would have blown the doors off on the jets is laughable.

Whatever Baker was in Cleveland, he will be worse here. 

Teddy Bridgewater had more yards passing in 2020 than Baker did during one of his so-called "good" years.

Trading for Mayfield will have it's repercussions if we fail to make the playoffs.  (many here predict 8-9 or 9-8 record) 

You can kiss a first round QB goodbye. 

We would have to have a top 5 pick to select a QB. An 8-9 record will get you roughly the 13th pick in the next NFL draft. With Baker we are probably going to end up middle of the road. 

Corral will sit and we will not get any game time evaluation on him.  I seriously doubt we are going to waste a mid-first-round pick on a QB. 

This trade is or will be an ass saving move for Rhule.

IMO

It would have been better to start Corral, no matter how poorly he plays.  Even if he went 4-13 at least we would have an evaluation on him.  It wouldn't be the first time a franchise QB had a poor rookie season.  If he looks lost we are in a position to grab a top 5 QB.

The odds are not in our favor this season as it is.  Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Baltimore and who knows about Cleveland from the AFC and we have arguably the toughest division in football in the NFCW.  Not to mention our own division.  

Save the draft pick, start Sam a couple of weeks and put Corral in and let him finish the season.  Evaluate him and play for 2023. 

• Pie 1

If absolutely nothing else....that first game vs. the Browns would be instant "must-see tv." Like how does that not get bumped to Prime Time?

I'm really conflicted on this. A lot depends on what we would give up for him, what happens with Sam (see ya) and how my dude Corral progresses. I'm not ready to riot....because I think that Baker would instantly give us the 2nd best QB in the NFC South. And this is behind a completely revamped O-line, with a healthy CMC.

The only way I get pissed at this is if we give up anything higher than a 4th for him. 

4 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Thinking that Baker would have blown the doors off on the jets is laughable.

Whatever Baker was in Cleveland, he will be worse here. 

Teddy Bridgewater had more yards passing in 2020 than Baker did during one of his so-called "good" years.

Yeah and Teddy was playing from behind almost the whole 2020 season so we were always throwing the ball playing catch-up. Passing yards aren’t the end all stat you’re making it out to be. 

4 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Cam did the same thing with his foot injury, but was given a pass by a lot of people because he was a competitor. It's what these guys do. I still don't want baker unless it's a straight up trade for Darnold and a box of Krispy Kreme originals. 

Cam was MVP who took us to the SB and was the ultimate teammate and competitor.

He took hits like no QB I have ever seen.  WTF man.  Seriously?

8 minutes ago, Killah_Ray said:

Yeah and Teddy was playing from behind almost the whole 2020 season so we were always throwing the ball playing catch-up. Passing yards aren’t the end all stat you’re making it out to be. 

Is that why Brady led the league last year, they were always playing from behind?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47wrtwvt85h0i2szg1n5

Edited by poundaway

23 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

I have not seen anyone try to break the bank to resign Cam. He can be had for cheap and is just as good of an option as Sam or Baker, they both suck.  

Plus our OL is built for a power running game. 

Once again… nm, carry on.

7 minutes ago, Little Goody Two Shoes said:

Robbie Anderson could be targeted in Baker Mayfield trade. (Let hope. Sorry if already posted).

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/15/baker-mayfield-rumor-robbie-anderson-browns/

I would be severely disappointed if we end up trading for Mayfield and keeping Darnold.

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1