• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Big Ten and SEC fixing to dismantle the ACC?

Squirrel

Honestly, it seems like the $EC and Big 10 are basically trying to recreate the NFL in college football. It wouldn't shock me for both to go for 20 teams, create a 4 team playoff for the conference championship then have those two teams play for the national championship. They become the de facto college versions of the NFC and AFC. I think you'll see some legacy programs get the boot (Vanderbilt and Northwestern being two obvious candidates) and replaced by better football programs (Notre Dame and Clemson being two obvious candidates).

At that point, everyone else might as well go to D1AA or whatever the hell they call that these days.

With the structure of the NCAA basketball tournament, I think the landscape of determining the basketball national championship would be relatively unaffected.

• Pie 2

IMO, College Sports as we know it is dying.  Ratings continue to drop.  And the new conferences are turning themselves into a NFL farm team league, and as they become less and less connected to the actual universities, can't help but wonder if the fanaticism that fans show will lessen.   Its already happening in some areas.  USC football use to be one of the biggest sporting events in Los Angeles, now it's probably not even in the top five.  And wont be even if they start playing for national championships again.  

When I was growing up, boxing was one of the biggest sports in the US.  Now it's a sideshow.  Can't help but wonder if College Football will see something similar over the next 20 years.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1

12 hours ago, Snake said:

Clemson will not want to move to a real conference. They will get beat down every year unlike in the ACC. 

Big fish in small pond. I don't think any of the ACC teams want to move lest they turn into the Vandys and Northwesterns of the world.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Big fish in small pond. I don't think any of the ACC teams want to move lest they turn into the Vandys and Northwesterns of the world.

gamecock fans love this 'sec' argument yet it never seems to help them on the field.

2 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

and as they become less and less connected to the actual universities, can't help but wonder if the fanaticism that fans show will lessen. 

Some people credit U of Michigan for being amongst the first to market a school as a sports team instead of an academic institution.  I would go as far as to say that a majority of fans of major colleges have zero connection to the university outside of rooting for them and attending sporting events.  The "Wal-Mart Wolverines" as we like to call them have a fanbase that only hinges on winning and losing.  They never went to the school nor do they have kids or family that went to the school.  I find that most UNC/Duke fans are the same way.  On the other hand when you get to schools that are not on that level its a different story.  I went to Michigan State and when someone tells me they are a Spartan fan I know the chances that they are from the Lansing area or have some other connection to the school is a heck of alot higher than when someone says they are a UM fan.

That being said I recall a story that was told to me by an older work colleague.  He went to Texas A&M before they were in the Big 12.  He said back then college kids could travel to their schools away games.  He said most road trips were easy as it was around the Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma area and the farthest trip him and his buddies made was down to LSU.  He said he felt sorry for the kids today missing out on that experience because a regular college kid can't just jump in their car at Texas A&M and attend a game at South Carolina (his example).  On the flipside of that the ONLY away game I ever even considered going to while I was at Michigan State was to Ann Arbor to play U of M (45 minutes away).  Every school was technically in driving range back then (even Penn State) but it never even crossed my mind to do that. 

• Beer 1

16 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't really care. I'm a UNC fan. As far as I'm concerned the other schools field teams just to give us someone to play. 😂

Yeah, you clearly believe that when App State or ECU comes to Chapel Hill and teaches UNC something of a lesson in humility. Overrated cheating fhcks. Would love for the corruption of the UNC Syetem leadership to be weeded out and maybe it will with this move to Raleigh.

Among the things the NCAA and the conferences have to come to terms with is that their ability to hide behind the ruse of being the guardians of amateur collegiate sports is long gone.  Nobody is buying that.  Not people, not the government, not the courts, and probably not even them.  That should give them a pause.

It won't, because they have historically been so full of themselves that they have wandered into situations that they should have stayed far away from, but either hubris or pure stupidity drove them to keep pushing forward.

At this point they are eating their own young.

Somebody mentioned Notre Dame earlier as inevitably joining a conference (Big10, most likely).  As long as they have a TV contract with a major network that they do not need to share with a group, they will stay independent.  Apparently they put up good ratings numbers, although I have no earthly idea why.  But then again, my favorite college football team is whoever is playing Notre Dame, so I am not an unbiased judge.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Among the things the NCAA and the conferences have to come to terms with is that their ability to hide behind the ruse of being the guardians of amateur collegiate sports is long gone.  Nobody is buying that.  Not people, not the government, not the courts, and probably not even them.  That should give them a pause.

It won't, because they have historically been so full of themselves that they have wandered into situations that they should have stayed far away from, but either hubris or pure stupidity drove them to keep pushing forward.

At this point they are eating their own young.

Somebody mentioned Notre Dame earlier as inevitably joining a conference (Big10, most likely).  As long as they have a TV contract with a major network that they do not need to share with a group, they will stay independent.  Apparently they put up good ratings numbers, although I have no earthly idea why.  But then again, my favorite college football team is whoever is playing Notre Dame, so I am not an unbiased judge.

ND TV contract is around $15 million a year.  Possible new big 10 contract is around $62.5 a year. 

So $46 million reason. 

Big XII wasting no time

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-big-12-deep-discussions-171051514.html

CBS’ Dennis Dodd reports the Big 12 is in “deep discussions” to bring in six Pac-12 schools. Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oregon, Washington and Utah would be the prime candidates for expansion.

Edited by Squirrel
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

Yeah, you clearly believe that when App State or ECU comes to Chapel Hill and teaches UNC something of a lesson in humility. Overrated cheating fhcks. Would love for the corruption of the UNC Syetem leadership to be weeded out and maybe it will with this move to Raleigh.

😂 😂 😂

• Pie 1