• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mayfield for peanuts and a coke...

Jmac

13 hours ago, jb2288 said:

Patience paid off, what a steal. Anyone complaining about this deal either is perpetually miserable or doesn't understand how the NFL works. Not sure which is worse 

How the NFL works? What re-tread QB’s have been super successful in the NFL? In the NFL you have to have elite QB play to win a Super Bowl. 

A lot of people here have been so used to horrible play that they’re more than ready to settle for mediocrity. 

13 hours ago, Jmac said:

Can't believe people are crying over this trade. No way M.C was starting no matter who the QB was. Sure Mayfield may have personality issues, but that is irrelevant now. 

Carrol will get his chance. This sucking just to hopefully get a top five pick next year is ridiculous. Same people who are bitching about this trade, would be bitching about a 4 or 5 win season. Can't win with this crowd 

But you’re taking snaps away from Corral no matter how you slice it. A lot of people like myself don’t see Mayfield as the answer. So why bring him in? Just because he’s a better than Darnold? 

4 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

And?

I can spell this out if you need me to.

First, someone says he is cheap for a top 15 qb.

Then you replied you got anything to back that up.

Then I provided a link to rankings from just this past month from Chris Simms, a well regarded QB analyst, showing he has Baker as #17.

Apologies there is such a massive gap between 15 and 17. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

18 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Top 15 qb?   You got any stats to back this up whatsoever?

I'm not a big PFF fan but they had him as the 10th best QB going into last season. And last season the dude played through like 3 or 4 different significant injuries. I'm not counting on him to be our savior and he absolutely has his issues but he does have the potential to be a solid 2nd/3rd tier starter...

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-quarterback-rankings-all-32-starters-ahead-of-the-2021-nfl-season

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

21 hours ago, Jmac said:

Even if I am not crazy for the guy, no way they could turn this trade down. Five million and a fifth round conditional pick is crazy for a starting QB. Even for a meh starting QB, it is a deal.

P.J is gone and Darnold is gone next season if they can't unload him this year. Corral will get his shot. NFL season is long and things happen. Just study the playbook and be ready when his shot comes.

A agree.

• Pie 1

People against this trade just don't like Mayfield or they think the hope that Matt Corral is the second coming is legit.  You give yourself options and you develop Corral properly.  If Corral shows he has what it takes by the end of the year, the Panthers will know it.  If Baker shines and gets a a contract here, Corral is still an asset. 

I imagine the Panthers are looking to give Darnold away in a trade right now--if they could get a fourth or fifth rounder and eat the salary, it would be a win.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Santee_Panther said:

I can spell this out if you need me to.

First, someone says he is cheap for a top 15 qb.

Then you replied you got anything to back that up.

Then I provided a link to rankings from just this past month from Chris Simms, a well regarded QB analyst, showing he has Baker as #17.

Apologies there is such a massive gap between 15 and 17. 

lol you can spell it out and this guy will still deny it and be upset. It’s such a low risk move and some people just want to be upset…

• Pie 2

23 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

People against this trade just don't like Mayfield or they think the hope that Matt Corral is the second coming is legit.  You give yourself options and you develop Corral properly.  If Corral shows he has what it takes by the end of the year, the Panthers will know it.  If Baker shines and gets a contract here, Corral is still an asset. 

I don't like Mayfield. Not sure I'd say I was against this trade though so much as I just wasn't for it.

I'd rather Corral sit first.

7 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Crazily it would have cost the same as Darnold, since their contracts are required to be the same. The trade might have cost us more than it did now, but probably along the same lines as Darnold's did now.

Smart shopping can really make the difference I guess. If we just new what would be on special ahead of time.

We weren't getting Baker before last season for a 6th and future 2nd and 4th after he had just beat Pittsburg on the road in the playoffs for the first playoff win in a generation.  The only reason Baker is gone is because they landed a top 5 young QB in Watson.

• Pie 1