• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How the Mayfield trade came about

Mr. Scot

15 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Heh 😆

Someone else pointed out that the Browns will be paying both Baker Mayfield and Deshaun Watson for 2022 but may not have either of them.

Andrew Berry it's a lot of praise as a GM but that situation is a mess.

Do we have any right to poke fun, how many QBs are we paying? 

• Poo 1

Fitz, drafted Corral with the intention of adding talent to the QB position. Also he used that pick as leverage in the trade.  Genius!  Remember, they broke off talks during the draft and made the selection. They still wanted Mayfield.   

Baker Mayfield is well worth the risk for a 4th/5th round pick and less than $5M salary. That's a no-brainer IMO when your other options are Sam Darnold, PJ Walker, and a 3rd round rookie who played in a college offense that doesn't really translate to the NFL. That's not at all saying that Corral will be a bust, it's just not all that conducive to starting as a rookie and being successful.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Baker Mayfield is well worth the risk for a 4th/5th round pick and less than $5M salary. That's a no-brainer IMO when your other options are Sam Darnold, PJ Walker, and a 3rd round rookie who played in a college offense that doesn't really translate to the NFL. That's not at all saying that Corral will be a bust, it's just not all that conducive to starting as a rookie and being successful.

Thank you! That’s what I’ve been saying and people on here are acting like I’m in some Baker fan club. He is an upgrade at the most important position for very cheap. If he performs or not it was a smart trade.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Maybe we actually learned something from the Darnold trade. That lesson being DON'T fuging NEGOTIATE AGAINST YOURSELF. The Jets were in the same situation with Darnold. We were the only serious suitor. Disregarding Darnold's atrociousness, we got absolutely fleeced trading what we did for a player that really didn't have any other suitors.

19 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Possible. I'd like to think that Scott Fitterer isn't prone to being fooled by these sorts of things like Marty Hurney was though (behind the scenes draft video bolsters that argument).

But yeah, you'd have to think of all people, Fitterer would have a pretty good idea whether his old Seattle colleagues were bluffing or not.

Now if Baker does well enough in camp we can trade him to Seattle.

Fixed. Everyone happy again.

Corral is extremely unlikely to play at a higher level than Mayfield and even Darnold early in camp or likely at any point early this season even if he is ultimately the guy and better than them overall. There is a serious learning curve in the NFL, and I hope Corral makes the jump quick, but I'm not giving up on him as a prospect even if he doesn't see the field this year.

• Pie 2