• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will the run defense hold up?

Jmac

7 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Stop. That's the problem with BEING a 3-4 team. When you figure out you need to go back to 4-3 like they eventually will they'll have to figure out what to do with these tweeners left on the roster.

I do not disagree with you, that our roster's "tweeners" make it difficult to play 4-3. That is a roster-building issue. We have to work with what we have and our roster currently IMO should use more 3 man fronts because of that. Our coaches say they'll adapt our scheme to our players abilities but I don't think they have consistently done that on Offense our defense so far under Rhule/Snow.

Maybe bringing in another traditional DE like Carlos Dunlap could help, but we'd steal have Burns on the other end because of his rushing ability. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Michael G said:

I do not disagree with you, that our roster's "tweeners" make it difficult to play 4-3. That is a roster-building issue. We have to work with what we have and our roster currently IMO should use more 3 man fronts because of that. Our coaches say they'll adapt our scheme to our players abilities but I don't think they have consistently done that on Offense our defense so far under Rhule/Snow.

Maybe bringing in another traditional DE like Carlos Dunlap could help, but we'd steal have Burns on the other end because of his rushing ability. 

I think they're mis-using D.Brown. He's getting all that blame but put him back a couple years with Rivera next to Star and or #99, forget his name, sorry, he'd be All Pro instead a guy getting slandered.

5 minutes ago, Michael G said:

We built it like a college defense using a college coach and DC...

The results probably shouldn't be surprising 😕

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, rippadonn said:

I think they're mis-using D.Brown. He's getting all that blame but put him back a couple years with Rivera next to Star and or #99, forget his name, sorry, he'd be All Pro instead a guy getting slandered.

Brown was kind of seen as that run-stuffing dominant DT would could move the line of scrimmage coming out of Auburn. He has shown spurts of being a decent pass rushing DT in the NFL , but hasn't really been able to develop into a guy who needs to be double-teamed in order to move him out of his gap. We need that guy (A real big-bodied space eater) beside him and Brown's game I think will certainly improve.

3 minutes ago, Michael G said:

Brown was kind of seen as that run-stuffing dominant DT would could move the line of scrimmage coming out of Auburn. He has shown spurts of being a decent pass rushing DT in the NFL , but hasn't really been able to develop into a guy who needs to be double-teamed in order to move him out of his gap. We need that guy (A real big-bodied space eater) beside him and Brown's game I think will certainly improve.

And he's getting the blame. If we lose him and he dominates elsewhere I wouldn't be surprised. He has that potential. Like we've said put somebody, like say Poe next to him and boom!

Edited by rippadonn

3-4 and 4-3 both can work with proper roster management and vision. We lack both. We got a good look at Snow's 4-3 last year and agaisnt the run it looked like we had a 2 man front once the play started. It didn't work and I don't understand why they think it will this year unless they are changing up a LOT of things.

Add in they operate a run 1st offense and it all makes so little sense. They want a heavey pass D but set it up so the other team shouldn't and doesn't have to run a pass heavey offense. All 3 of our last 3 QBs need a good run game to have a chance yet the D is built the complete opposite.

• Beer 2

On 7/11/2022 at 7:31 AM, Davidson Deac II said:

Our run defense in RIvera's last season was one of the worst in NFL history.  We averaged allowing 5.2 yards per carry.   It has gotten progressively better in each season sense.  4.7 in  2019, and 4.1 per carry last year (middle of the pack in the NFL).  If that trend continues, it could be top 10 in the NFL this year.   

We are certainly improving in this area.  4.1 yards per carry was 8th best in the NFL last year.  We were 18th in total yards rushing and 1st downs allowed rushing.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/opp.htm

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, hepcat said:

Teams will just run to Burns's side, he gets completely blown up in the run game on the regular. Reddick was actually decent against the run. 

Reddick wasn't very good against the run either. You can afford to have one guy on your DL that isn't great being ran right at. You can't get away with both of your edges being that way.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Reddick wasn't very good against the run either. You can afford to have one guy on your DL that isn't great being ran right at. You can't get away with both of your edges being that way.

Yeah you can zone your LBs to help out Burns' side.  When both sides suck at stopping the run, you are screwed...

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I weighed about 145-150 in high school.

True to form, when he went our roster to the local paper, coach listed me at 165 😆

No doubt they pump the numbers, fact remains the HS players form 25 years are looking MS levels compared to this current giant group. Now the whole OL is 300+/- or 4 out of 5 are at most power schools, that insane.  

1 minute ago, KillerKat said:

So what happened with that one DE we were supposed to sign a few weeks ago?

He hopefully working out and staying in shape. Most times when a player leaves the guaranteed money is the issue. 

FYI to all-  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/defensive-line/available/

Plenty of "names" out there at DL. Derek Wolfe is combo DE/DT that may fill both needs. Star, JPP, suh, Jackson(member him form SB50..), Richardson, etc etc. Still early 30s most of them and got a little juice leftd. NTs are there too along with other DEs. Get to camp and no ones steps up on the DL, the market has a few answers. 

23 minutes ago, Basbear said:

No doubt they pump the numbers, fact remains the HS players form 25 years are looking MS levels compared to this current giant group. Now the whole OL is 300+/- or 4 out of 5 are at most power schools, that insane.  

Yeah, there weren't any 300 pounders on my team. Pretty sure none of our opponents had anyone that big either.

Biggest guys were probably in the 220 to 240 range, 250 at most.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, there weren't any 300 pounders on my team. Pretty sure none of our opponents had anyone that big either.

Biggest guys were probably in the 220 to 240 range, 250 at most.

I do remember in MIDDLE school there was a player wearing a Clemson helmet on the other team......All of us were talking about it and the school didnt have one big enough for him and had to borrow one form a college program. Guess who had to block the mountain........turns out after a few play he wasnt that hard of a task.