• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield has a lot to prove, period!

top dawg

It's starting to sound like some Huddlers want to simply give Baker a pass and disregard his issues pertaining to his issues in Cleveland. I just refuse to do it. He is going to have to earn any loyalty from me before I crown him as the savior that the Panthers need. 

I don't know if the article from the Athletic was posted here, or any excepts considering the Athletic's paywall, but a Fox Sports article from today makes reference to it, and it has basically said what I've been trying to tell you: Mayfield is going to have to change his way of being if he's going to be anything close to a long term answer in Charlotte.

Jason Lloyd of the Athletic rightly blamed the Browns for their decades of dysfunction, including their part in Baker's beginning as a young pro.

"But Lloyd also zeroed in on the issues that Mayfield brought to the table, and a lot of it had to do with how he acted on days other than Sunday, in addition to his struggles on gameday.

"Yet his constant failures in fourth quarters and tight moments, dating back to his rookie year, made it evident the Browns needed to get better at the most important position to compete with the arms race of AFC quarterbacks," Lloyd wrote. 'Mayfield always thought he was better than he was, and it repeatedly got him into trouble with terrible footwork and ill-advised throws at inopportune times.'

Lloyd continued.

'Mayfield was widely viewed as childish and immature. His behavior annoyed teammates and divided the locker room. He was often difficult to coach.'"

The Baker that Mayfield displayed in Cleveland is destined to fail in Charlotte. Baker is going to essentially have to turn over a new leaf, and in my opinion, Huddlers and Panthers fans everywhere should internalize and acknowledge this opinion as close to the truth as possible. Regardless of past injuries or other rationalizations about his ultimate failures in Cleveland, he can't bring that act to Charlotte and expect to be successful. So pump the brakes and simply stop. We're going to have to see what type of Baker is coming to Charlotte before we crown his ass as anything but a guy with some potential, but who hasn't gotten it done. He hasn't earned the right to be a diva, including getting on his high horse with the media. He's just another inconsistent QB with a certain amount of untapped potential with questionable decision-making (and we've become too accustomed to that in Charlotte for at least the last decade).

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/can-baker-mayfield-turn-it-around-carolina

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 2

Hes maybe the 2nd best QB in franchise history. 

I will say this too- I forget the podcast/youtube, but a reporter that followed Baker since OU called BS on teammates hating him. The HC is known from other coaching stops to be a hardass that plays minded games. 

So its a clean slate for me, its on Baker to keep it that way

• Pie 5
  • Flames 2
  • Poo 3

I just think he can take this team further than Sam. I don’t think many are calling him a franchise savior yet. The optimistic people like myself just hope we are in the hunt for a wildcard and win 9 games after these last few years.  With him and this new look Oline I’m hoping for the best. Keep Pounding

• Pie 1

Honestly I don’t think many think he is absolutely the guy. I think he is an upgrade (maybe mid level QB) that we acquired for cheap with little to no long term investment. I don’t know if he can even get us to the playoffs, but I hope he will provide us with an actual competent offense versus what I could barely watch last year while giving Corral a year to get ready.

If he turns out to be the guy then great! If he struggles then we can move on after this season with no financial burden.

Mayfield is one thing right now: the odds-on week 1 starter for the Carolina Panthers.  He could eff that up, but the competition is a guy who has shown to be a bad decision maker, a guy who is raw, and a guy who has no business wearing an NFL uniform.

Mayfield not only has to earn loyalty, he has to earn his employment for 2023.  I think he is exponentially more likely to do that (somewhere) than Darnold, but his being on this team next year is far from a sure thing.  I have no doubt he knows that, unless we repeat the Darnold mistake and shield him from any adversity.

Cleveland is probably the worst NFL organization for anybody wearing the adjective “immature.”  Manziel was their answer, too, and his maturity level makes Mayfield look like a picture of maturity.

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Damn. People have really forgotten how good Jake was before that Tommy John surgery.

Uh, yeah.  Mayfield may want to focus on securing the bronze medal before he reaches for the silver.  Even the North Korean judge is skeptical.

Let’s see, the leader board right now says:

• Gold: Cam

• Silver: Jake

• Bronze: Beuerlein

• Pie 5

Yes Mayfield is a diva.  And he may think he's better than he is.  But they all do.    Sam thinks he's a starting QB in the league.   

Browns players in the video: Baker was a great teammate too.  It shows up again and again in a bunch of articles.  I was against Baker and it frustrated me when I would search for articles to support the locker room crap and many of them said it was overblown.

Odell wasn't getting the targets he wanted in a Stefanski's run-first offense with many wide receiver mouths to feed and just like Diggs with Stefanski in MN, Odell wanted out.

I'm not worried about Baker "dividing the locker room".   

As for the other stuff, like disrespecting coaches and sideline/off field statements and behavior that dates back to Oklahoma... maybe this humbling experience and fresh start will help with some of that.

In the end, I want him to win.  If thats the worst, I'll put up with that.

I'd rather deal with that "childish" stuff than the adult stuff Cleveland is dealing with.

Edited by poundaway
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 3

There should be no excuse for Mayfield not to succeed with this team.  We have a great back and some decent backups in the RB room.  WR are plentiful and at least one up and coming TE.  Our O-line is much improved.

If our defense holds the fort we could win our share of games and at minimum be in the conversation for the playoffs.

Whether Mayfield is childish or a great team leader.  We just need him to execute the offense, mentor our future and give us a chance to be excited this season.