• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thoughts on Baker at QB1

TheCasillas

the interesting thing is that he's not a game manager by definition. he has risk built into his game and some days its going to help you and some days not so much, but he's a difference maker. he's the guy. it's clear from all factors that he's going to be a 1 no matter what. the approach with darnold has been near genius, and I say that with the critics in mind. they've elevated his stock to going from a guy you couldn't unload for free to someone now who a team might give you an asset for based on how competitive he's been in competition with baker. the TD throw was a dot with guys draped all over him. it's asset management that people aren't understanding, but might when we declare baker the winner and flip sam to a QB needy team that didn't make it out of preseason healthy at the position. the competition pushes mayfield to absorb as much of the playbook as he can, to perform on a daily basis in practice, and to take his reps seriously now that he has a serious challenger even if you've already determined him to be the winner. 

I think rhule feels like he owes PJ Walker something and I can't figure out what it is. he's been getting NFL checks a few years and that's awesome for him, but NFL quarterback he is not. 

There were two miscommunications - one on the rpo to Smith where he was blocking rather than looking for the ball and a second on the 3rd down along the sidelines where the receiver didn't break when/where Baker expected him to. 

Then the mishandled snap. 

These are ALL errors that are usually the result of a lack of reps and timing. If I'm seeing that as a coach and my seat was a little warm - tomorrow I would declare the competition over and give Baker all of the first team reps from here forward to get that corrected. 

This of course will likely not happen because ole Rhule isn't capable of looking in the mirror and realizing this charade is detrimental to the team and in turn his own job.

• Pie 1

51 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

After seeing today's performance with Baker, I am feeling good on the direction of the offense. That shot to RA has been missing, and it's nice to see it during a vanilla game plan.  That exchanged snap that led to a fumble, that needs to get cleaned.

What are your thoughts?

I think Baker will be Baker.  Good games, bad games.  Because he is going to take that shot to Robbie.  And it is going to hit.   And sometimes he will take it and it’s going to be a pick.  

I do think Jake Delhomme is probably the best comparable of a Panther.   Jake was exciting because he would put it up for 89 or Moose.   Good things and bad things happen with a gunslinger. 

think this season will come down to what we really have on D and coaching.  The offensive talent is there to have some success.  So it me, how good of a season comes down to what you think of our coaching and defensive unit. 

• Pie 1

51 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

After seeing today's performance with Baker, I am feeling good on the direction of the offense. That shot to RA has been missing, and it's nice to see it during a vanilla game plan.  That exchanged snap that led to a fumble, that needs to get cleaned.

What are your thoughts?

What is your initial hot take about overall win total after 1 preseason game?

Just now, CRA said:

I think Baker will be Baker.  Good games, bad games.  Because he is going to take that shot to Robbie.  And it is going to hit.   And sometimes he will take it and it’s going to be a pick.  

I do think Jake Delhomme is probably the best comparable of a Panther.   Jake was exciting because he would put it up for 89 or Moose.   Good things and bad things happen with a gunslinger. 

think this season will come down to what we really have on D and coaching.  The offensive talent is there to have some success. 

The good thing about gunslingers (especially one's like Jake and Baker) is when they throw Ints they are usually 40+ yards downfield and don't kill you in a field postion battle.